Touchpad Blocker, Keyboard Leds, Auto Mute

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Emka

Touchpad Blocker, Keyboard Leds, Auto Mute

#1 Post by Emka »

I've just stumbled across this blog with some programs that might by interesting and that all come in a zip file:
http://karpolan.blogspot.com/

Touchpad Blocker automatically disables mouse events for a few moments if some key has been pressed.

Keyboard Leds [...] allows you to see the current state of keyboard locks. Information is shown on a small icon in the system tray or on the floating window over your screen.

Auto Mute: software utility to make notebooks silent when it's turning on or is waking up from a sleep mode. So the computer becomes quiet even if you forgot to turn the sound off in previous session. Very useful if you have small children or are trying to work in public places, on conferences for example.

I am Baas

Re: Some apps by Karpolan

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Touchpad Blocker and Keyboard Leds - not portable

Write to the registry @

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Karpolan\Keyboard Leds\OSD
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Karpolan\Keyboard Leds\TrayIcon
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Karpolan\Keyboard Leds
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Karpolan\Touchpad Blocker

I tested Auto Mute before with same results.

Btw, the .zip downloads are just the installer.

Emka

Re: Some apps by Karpolan

#3 Post by Emka »

I am Baas wrote:Btw, the .zip downloads are just the installer.
Oops, I just opened the archives and did not try whether the executable was an installer or not. Sorry, I'll try to be more attentive.

Midas

Touchpad Blocker

#4 Post by Midas »

Karpolan Touchpad Blocker was a hopeful for a bit, but finally revealed as another non-sequitur...

Let me explain this: I use an external mouse with my laptop and since I refuse to install Lenovo's bloated utility suite, l have to live with the nuisance of accidental touches to the touchpad/trackpoint while I'm typing. There's even a dedicated and clearly marked keyboard shortcut for this function (in my case, 'Fn+F8') but -- unlike the also present mute button -- it doesn't work without Lenovo's system software.

Touchpad Blocker not only didn't solve my issue -- maybe it could if I had a Synaptics touchpad, I speculate from the disabled checkbox at the bottom of its settings dialogue -- but it also disabled my external mouse at the same time. And, although the installer package can be easily (Uni)extracted, Touchpad Blocker's settings are saved to 'HKCU\Software\KARPOLAN'. Yet, here it is for the benefit of anyone interested...
http://touchpad-blocker.com/ wrote:Touchpad Blocker is a must have software for notebook owners who prefer to use touchpad instead of mouse or other pointing devices. Software helps the user to type text as fast as possible by locking mouse events during a small period after any key were pressed. The touchpad remains enabled all the time!

Touchpad Blocker latest version (currently v3.0.0.71) can be downloaded from http://touchpad-blocker.com/.

On a related note, Karpolan's Auto-Mute (http://auto-mute.com/) might also be of interest to fellow TPFC members, although I suspect it may have similar shortcomings.

I am Baas

Re: Touchpad Blocker

#5 Post by I am Baas »

Midas

#6 Post by Midas »

I am Baas wrote:Sorry to ruin the party but... :wink:
It figures... :twisted:

No problem whatsoever -- I forgot to search this one and fell rightfully on face. :D

@webfork: please merge, if applicable. Thanks.

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

For posterity, 2 little free tools (untested) that solve similar problem: TouchFreeze and TouchpadPal.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

I had a serious need for this program once upon a time. Portability would not have stopped me from using it.
Midas wrote:@webfork: please merge, if applicable. Thanks.[/list]
No prob