Ashampoo Snap Free - screen cap and record

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

Ashampoo Snap Free - screen cap and record

#1 Post by webfork »

Background: I looked into this as a possible alternative to Screenshot Captor for some scrolling captures. I didn't like the interface and didn't find much in the way of useful features over my existing toolset so I didn't go very far with this but there's more than one reason this isn't getting tested:
  • This is registerware and adware
  • I couldn't find any mention of a free version on the corporate website and there's no breakdown on feature differences between the freeware and commercial versions. Edit: Ashampoo personnel got back to me, saying "The free version of Ashampoo Snap 7 has no limitations. Only the advertisements (Service Channel) can not be deactivated within the free version."
  • During initial testing, I couldn't close the program without doing a Task Manager "End Task"
  • Ashampoo as a company hasn't historically cared too much about portability

Ashampoo Snap Free
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... Free.shtml

webfork

Re: Ashampoo Snap Free - screen cap and record

#2 Post by webfork »

So the newest version 2018 is listed by Softpedia as just a demo, but you can still download version 7 from softpedia (it's at the bottom of the list and is NOT registerware).

Steps:

1. Run Uniextract2 on the installer
2. Copy files from the {APP} folder to a location of your choice
3. Launch ashsnap.exe

Status: Not Portable - Writes to HKCU\Software\Ashampoo\Ashampoo Snap 7

I'm not in love with the program, overall but the editor (below) is remarkably feature rich and effective. I'm definitely going to be using this.

Screencap image editor

---

Screen video recording

There are two great things here:
  1. On screen click indicators (they look good and work well)
  2. Low overhead recording that is followed by a high-compression step. The component also has a function I've been trying to find for a while. This is definitely ideal when you already have a program that has high CPU usage and don't want to either slow down or disrupt your program or recording as the processor tries to decide who gets cycles.

Unfortunately the included codecs are rather dated and inefficient.

smaragdus

Re: Ashampoo Snap

#3 Post by smaragdus »

@webfork

Ashampoo Snap version 9 (the penultimate version) has been offered for free for quite some time on SharewareOnSale.

I have a commercial license for a previous version but I uninstalled it and never thought of using it again- it is too heavy and bloated for my taste. Of the 3 commercial screen capture programs Ashampoo Snap is the one I dislike.

To this day I haven't seen a portable program by this developer.

webfork

Re: Ashampoo Snap

#4 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:52 pmAshampoo Snap version 9 (the penultimate version) has been offered for free for quite some time on SharewareOnSale.
Sweet, thanks.
smaragdus wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 4:52 pmI have a commercial license for a previous version but I uninstalled it and never thought of using it again- it is too heavy and bloated for my taste. Of the 3 commercial screen capture programs Ashampoo Snap is the one I dislike.
It's really a case of generating a huge number of screen captures at least 20x / week and looking for a faster/easier/clearer image editor / addendum tool.