TinyWord - word processor

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
webfork

TinyWord - word processor

#1 Post by webfork »

NOTE: as noted later in this thread, this program will auto-associate itself to ALL your documents. In other words, whenever you double-click on a DOC, RTF, or TXT file, it will open with TinyWord. That can be a problem if you already have an office program of choice.

---

Another basic word processor in the vein of Klumbu that is well above WordPad but several stages below other office suites. Especially interesting is that it includes a surprisingly good built-in diagramming program in the Tools tab (TinyDiagram). This could be a separate program all by itself and if box text was easier to add, I'd probably get it into the database.

Features:
  • Edition and proofing tools, including track changes and edit restrictions (I think this was the primary goal of the program)
  • Mail merge
  • Standard word processing features like page layout, references, table of contents,
  • File format support includes Word, RTF, HTML, PDF, XAML, and text.
  • Diagram program
Issues:
  • No longer in development
  • NEEDS to have a larger screen - the included ribbon functionality doesn't collapse well
  • Interface is a little spartan
Steps: Install outside of Program Files, launch Tinyword.exe

Status: Not portable, registers itself as default editor for a variety of files. Writes empty folder to AppData.

Resources: 135 megs RAM, 22 megs disk

License: Supposedly open source, but can't find source code anywhere.

Websites:
Homepage: https://web.archive.org/web/20131201031 ... yword.net/
Review: https://tinyword.informer.com/
Download: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-to ... Word.shtml

Screenshots

Last edited by webfork on Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

Re: TinyWord - word processor

#2 Post by webfork »

I messed up my test on this -- moving to Not Portable section.

JohnW

#3 Post by JohnW »

@webfork
Thanks for the timely correction.
I had installed the program and like you thought their might be some merit in the diagramming feature.
I discovered that none of my text files could be read. All wanted to run the TinyWord installer.
I uninstalled the program but this did not lead to the associations being removed.
I easily resolved this for txt files but I would like to know what other associations I should be aware of.
To summarise. Avoid this program; it's a potential disaster area!

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

JohnW wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:13 am Avoid this program; it's a potential disaster area!
The program does quite a lot and, on a machine that didn't have anything else, I'd actually appreciate something like TinyWord. But on a system that already has associations setup how they should be, it's a huge pain.

On most tests I just assume certain registry groups are operating system changes and not a given program. I'll pay closer attention to those going forward or implement a sandbox process.