about Sumatra PDF browser plugin

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
zak_711

about Sumatra PDF browser plugin

#1 Post by zak_711 »

Hi. I followed the advice of SYSTEM using Sumatra plugin but it didn't work. I needed to use S. portable + npPdfViewer.dll; I'd like to know if I did someting wrong. Thanks.

SYSTEM

Re: about Sumatra PDF browser plugin

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

I tested my own instructions. It turned out that the file libmupdf.dll is needed as well.

That file increases the total size of the plugin to 4,5 megabytes. :( Luckily I have a lot of disk space. 8)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

zak_711

#3 Post by zak_711 »

I followed your instructions for 1.4.0.0 version. Tha current version of Sumatra create a folder called Cache in plugins folder ( FF ). But I needed to use Sumatra.exe portable 1.4.0.0 + npPdfViewer.dll in plugins folder to see a pdf, not the file extracted from the installer.
I preferred not to update because I was afraid that 4.5 MB of pdf plugin could slow down navigation and browser start up. With this "light" version I didn't need libmupdf.dll

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

zak_711 wrote:I followed your instructions for 1.4.0.0 version. Tha current version of Sumatra create a folder called Cache in plugins folder ( FF ). But I needed to use Sumatra.exe portable 1.4.0.0 + npPdfViewer.dll in plugins folder to see a pdf, not the file extracted from the installer.
I preferred not to update because I was afraid that 4.5 MB of pdf plugin could slow down navigation and browser start up. With this "light" version I didn't need libmupdf.dll
Hm, I see.

Portable SumatraPDF.exe is almost as large as SumatraPDF.exe and libmupdf.dll combined. I think that libmupdf.dll is statically linked into portable SumatraPDF.exe, and that's the reason why portable SumatraPDF.exe doesn't need that file.

All in all, you need either
  • npPdfViewer.dll, libmupdf.dll and SumatraPDF.exe, or
  • npPdfViewer.dll and portable SumatraPDF.exe
in the plugin directory. I find the choice just a matter of preference.

zak_711

#5 Post by zak_711 »

You were right! I needed libmupdf.dll for v1.4.0.0 too; that why it didn't work with SumatraPDF.exe extracted from the installer; however i noticed that doing so the size increases from1.60MB to 4.53MB with v1.4.0.0; the new version 1.6.0.0 ( with sumatra portable ) is 4.28MB and the other ( with 2.dll ) is 4.54MB.
I think I will never update and I were very lucky!

-.-

#6 Post by -.- »

why not just set firefox to open sumatra portable? you can edit the mime files for file associations

zak_711

#7 Post by zak_711 »

I have just done it and it works perfectly with opera too.

SYSTEM

#8 Post by SYSTEM »

-.- wrote:why not just set firefox to open sumatra portable? you can edit the mime files for file associations
I personally dislike additional windows.

In addition, because I use the NTFS filesystem, I'm able to create a hard link instead of copying SumatraPDF.exe. Doing so decreases the disk space usage to just 85 kilobytes, as the hard link doesn't require disk space at all.

zak_711

#9 Post by zak_711 »

I think you are right; I' ve set up just now SumstraPDF.exe as default PDF reader; it create a little dat file in the plugin folder, but it's not a problen as I think SPDF.exe store there its settings. I can allow also multiple istances ( PDF and browser PDF ).