Program launcher that's not hiding after first program?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
garbel

Program launcher that's not hiding after first program?

#1 Post by garbel »

Hi,

I'm looking for a program launcher that's not hiding after you start a programm. Every launcher I tried has this behaviour. PStart seems to have that function (in the options), but is always closing too.

Ruby

Re: Program launcher that's not hiding after first programm?

#2 Post by Ruby »

SlickRun will stay in view and there are options for transparency, hiding task bar icon etc....

lautrepay

#3 Post by lautrepay »

Appetizer is a very good option (Configuration>Operations>untick "Auto-hide after launching an application")

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

My favorite, Executor, also offers this option:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1308
is it stealth? ;)

donald

#5 Post by donald »

I believe you may mean stay on top?? Or perhaps just don't minimize??

PortableApps.MOD32 V1.01 has StayVisible as an option,

this both keeps it OnTop and does not let it minimize.

It also still has more "open features"(not hidden) than the PortableApps.com menus I have tested to date.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

donald wrote:I believe you may mean stay on top?? Or perhaps just don't minimize??
Think its referring to the tendency for "inactive" icons to disappear. You can change the settings in Pstart, but it will disappear anyhow.

Anyone know how to tweak the system for this? That's definitely a program we could use in the database.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (somehow threw out my changes earlier)

lautrepay

#7 Post by lautrepay »

webfork wrote:
donald wrote:I believe you may mean stay on top?? Or perhaps just don't minimize??
Think its referring to the tendency for "inactive" icons to disappear.
If I understand correctly, what garbel wants is to keep the launcher visible while he/she starts, for example, the browser, the e-mail client and the audio player, one inmediatly after another, without the need to open the launcher from the system tray each time.
webfork wrote:Think its referring to the tendency for "inactive" icons to disappear. You can change the settings in Pstart, but it will disappear anyhow.

Anyone know how to tweak the system for this?
The native Windows option to "Hide when inactive/Always show/Always hide" every systray icon works for me (Vista 64).
XP users should try the "Ostuni workaround"

donald

#8 Post by donald »

lautrepay wrote:what garbel wants is to keep the launcher visible while he/she starts, for example, the browser, the e-mail client and the audio player
And that is exactly what PortableApps.MOD32 V1.01 does with the StayVisible option it remains not just up/unminimized but also on top.

Searched out a link to a PAM MOD and found only this: PAM MOD 34 (this has the StayVisible option)

I will search for the Mod 32 and its previous website with themes.

Also I would note if you just want to launch the same programs every time PStart has an AutoRun option (right-click a program on the menu, then click edit, find the AutoRun option under the Advanced tab)

It should be noted that the SmithTechPortableMenu has a box (Minimize On Select) that if unchecked will keep the menue from minimizing. (but does not keep it on top)

JohnTHaller

#10 Post by JohnTHaller »

The main PortableApps.com Platform proper supports RemainVisible as an option and has for quite some time:
http://portableapps.com/support/portabl ... e#advanced

The forks and mods don't work as well with newer PA.c Format apps (as they are based on the very-old Platform 1.0 codebase) and don't support automatic app updates (in the current PA.c Platform 2.0 Beta 5) or the upcoming folders/categories and app store coming in 2.0.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

donald

#11 Post by donald »

I do know about the "hidden" functionality as I hinted at above:
donald wrote:It also still has more "open features"(not hidden) than the PortableApps.com menus I have tested to date.
I did not explain how to use the hidden .ini functionality as it is an ease of use issue.
I also did not mention the new features as this thread was just about menus and staying visible.

There is no guarantee that the original poster "garbel" even uses PortableApps.com format apps, they remain a growing minority among entries here (though they are also listed among the alternative downloads for some number of entries here ).

I do know that your applications are some of the most widely distributed portable applications in the world, but assuming that "garbel" uses them exclusively when "garbel" posted on PortableFreeware.com and not on PortableApps.com is not something I would do.

That said I use the PortableApps.com menu standard as a backup to PStart my main launcher menu.
PStart will allow me to just schedule a launch of the PortableApps.com menu to take full advantage of updates,
and if needed I could automatically launch it and your Start Minimized option (a hidden/.ini option) will allow me to use it only when I want without being "distracted".

That all said I love your applications, most specifically those that are completely unportable before being Packaged in your format.
I love the commitment to legal software since it means your software will remain available, possibly for a very long time.
And I thank you Mr. John T. Haller for all of your contributions, I appreciate them all, even the ones I do not heavily use.

portafreeuser

#12 Post by portafreeuser »

I also use Executor and Appetizer. Those are very nice programs I find.

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

Moderator note: Discussion of FSL Launcher has been given its own topic to avoid a thread hijack.