List Foobar 2000 beta?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

List Foobar 2000 beta?

#1 Post by webfork »

Unsurprisingly, the beta version also has a portable option. The beta changelog doesn't exactly move mountains in audio players, but performance updates and iTunes compatibility is always welcome (http://www.foobar2000.org/changelog)

Should it be listed along with the main entry? With some exceptions, PFW generally only lists the main app and not the beta, so I thought I'd poll the community.

ashghost

Re: List Foobar 2000 beta?

#2 Post by ashghost »

I wouldn't link to the betas, because they expire after four weeks:
To prevent people from running outdated beta versions, every beta version now expires after four weeks from the original release.
http://www.foobar2000.org/releasenotes/11

Since there's no built-in updater (well, only for components), I assume the user is directed to the web page to download and install an updated version.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't read your question closely or look at the examples - I thought you were proposing to list the beta version as the current main entry. I still wouldn't list it in the description - the installer is version-dependent, so the TPFC download link points to the download page, where the beta is listed prominently enough.

Ruby

Re: List Foobar 2000 beta?

#3 Post by Ruby »

webfork wrote:The beta changelog doesn't exactly move mountains in audio players
Over the years, Peter (foobar2000 dev) stuck to his guns about the ID3v2.4 tag scheme to spite numerous complaints/frustrations about compatibility with other software players.
The most notable example of this was AC/DC which when written with a 2.3 tag would show up in Foobar2000 as AC, DC, but by right-clicking and choosing properties and resaving the tag (2.4), Foobar would show it properly (AC/DC) but would break the tag for other players.

Many members of the foobar2000 forums/community requested that the ID3v2.3 be the default and 2.4 be the alternate. Well it seems now they finally threw in the towel.
ID3v2.3 tags are now written by default since version 2.4 seems to be widely ignored by software vendors.
Foobar had/has a compatibility mode so even if you saved the tags as 2.4 you could simply go to compatibility mode and resave as 2.3, very cool.

More reading on 'Metadata Compatibility 1.1.6 changes'

Awhile back I ripped an album (50 Classical Masterpieces (128kb mp3)) and spent hours painstakingly tagging (composers, orchestras, comments, variances ...)
then as disk space became a non-issue I decided to re-rip at 320kb mp3, and Foobar came to the rescue with it's mass tagging feature.

By loading/highlighting all the songs (128kb) in Foobar and selecting properties and Ctrl+A and then right-click and copy, you guessed it, I could now load/highlight all the 320kb files > properties > Ctrl+A > right-click and paste, all tag fields were properly saved including comments, very, very cool.

Sorry for the OT/possible thread hijack but TBH after reading ashghost reply I didn't think this thread would go any further.