Firefox Password Recovery / Audit

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Firefox Password Recovery / Audit

#1 Post by webfork »

After testing FirePasswordViewer (http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1794) I became interested in finding out if it was in fact possible to crack Firefox passwords. The author of FirePassworViewer also created a tool for doing just this: FireMaster (http://securityxploded.com/firemaster.php). I'm fairly sure its portable but its command line.

Based on FireMaster's estimates, I was pleased to find that a non-English password between 8 and 9 characters (and only checking passwords of these lengths) still had 1.7 trillion combinations and would take about half a year on a regular desktop computer to check them all. Note however that its possible for a computer to just get lucky and come across the password earlier in the test and it is in fact very unlikely it would take the full 191 days.

What was especially interesting from this whole test was that Firefox is clearly superior in terms of security. Unless you're very careful about controlling physical access to your machine, paranoid types should be aware that no Google applications should be trusted (GooglePasswordDecryptor http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1771 also by the same author) unless used through Firefox with a master password enabled. If you're required to use a Google application for your work, its important to use an independent account with an independent password. There is one exception: some applications have a "save password" option that if you just don't use, you're fine.

Edit1: I was really shocked and surprised that all you have to do is log into gmail.com on IE 7 to leave your password behind. Login, log out, close the browser, your password is still there. Yikes.

Edit2: Mozilla put out a great technique for choosing hard passwords.

Ruby

Re: Firefox Password Recovery / Audit

#2 Post by Ruby »

webfork wrote:What was especially interesting from this whole test was that Firefox is clearly superior in terms of security.
I just tested GooglePasswordDecryptor:

Chromium 7.0.529.0 (59863) with Gmail and Reader both running.

Gmail Notifier with password NOT saved.

It did not find any stored passwords.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Thanks Ruby.

More test cases:
  • Google Calendar Sync - none found
  • SRWare Iron (portable) - none found
  • SRWare Iron (installed) - none found

Ruby

#4 Post by Ruby »

Just out of curiosity, I exited Gmail Notifier and logged back in, this time with 'Remember my password' ticked.

GooglePasswordDecryptor indeed found the Username and Password.

I then exited Gmail Notifier and logged back in, this time with 'Remember my password' unticked.

GooglePasswordDecryptor once again did not find any stored passwords.

So to quote webfork:
There is one exception: some applications have a "save password" option that if you just don't use, you're fine.
This seems to be true; at least in this case.

Edit: It should be noted that I'm using the original Gmail Notifier:

Code: Select all

Google
Gmail Notifier v1.0.25.0
Copyright © 2004 Google Inc.
All Rights Reserved