Portables only on removables drives

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
lautrepay

Portables only on removables drives

#1 Post by lautrepay »

Here is a list with a few apps that are portable when running from a removable drive, but store settings in the user %APPDATA% and/or in the registry when running from local disks.

From AnnyStudio:
JPEG Lossless Rotator
Just Color Picker

From Hornil:
Hornil StylePix Portable

From PicoFactory:
Unit Converter
Currency Converter
(Probably there are more freeware from PicoFactory with the same behavior, I didn't test all of them).

From Quad-Lock Building Systems:
Quad-Lock Unit Converter

Surely I'm forgetting a few others...

webfork

Re: Portables only on removables drives

#2 Post by webfork »

lautrepay wrote:Here is a list with a few apps that are portable when running from a removable drive, but store settings in the user %APPDATA% and/or in the registry when running from local disks.
Would a workaround be to use a program like vSubst http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1503 to create a virtual drive and trick the program into keep the settings local?

SYSTEM

#3 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote:
lautrepay wrote:Here is a list with a few apps that are portable when running from a removable drive, but store settings in the user %APPDATA% and/or in the registry when running from local disks.
Would a workaround be to use a program like vSubst http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1503 to create a virtual drive and trick the program into keep the settings local?
I think it won't work. :( Likely these programs are using the Windows API to determine the drive type, and I believe Windows doesn't give the removable type to SUBST drives.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:I think it won't work. :( Likely these programs are using the Windows API to determine the drive type, and I believe Windows doesn't give the removable type to SUBST drives.
That's unfortunate -- thanks tho

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

TrueCrypt perhaps?