Opera useful (java)scripts and other tips&tricks

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
joby_toss

Re: Opera useful (java)scripts and other tips&tricks

#16 Post by joby_toss »

Thanks for the info! I'll test it, but I don't have high hopes...

Edit: It seems to work OK, but I read some comments about not being able to remember the settings...we'll see...

guinness

#17 Post by guinness »

joby_toss wrote:Thanks for the info! I'll test it, but I don't have high hopes...

Edit: It seems to work OK, but I read some comments about not being able to remember the settings...we'll see...
Yeh, I've been testing it too and in all fairness it's not half bad. I didn't use NoScript in Firefox (back when I used Firefox) because it was over complicated for my purposes.

joby_toss

#18 Post by joby_toss »

OK, I've been constantly using NotScripts (Guinness, could you please correct the extension name in this post, so it appears in TPFC forum search) in Opera, and I can't get accustomed to it, so I uninstalled it. The impression I got is that, giving my browsing habits, it's not of much help to me.

I'm currently trying out Ghostery, but I'm not yet fully understanding the way it works.

guinness

#19 Post by guinness »

(Guinness, could you please correct the extension name in this post, so it appears in TPFC forum search)
Done. Also I tested Ghostery once but felt it wasn't on par with NoScript, maybe it's changed in the last 18months.

freakazoid

#20 Post by freakazoid »

I do use Ghostery on Opera and I think comparing Ghostery to NoScript is not really the right comparison to make; in my opinion, Ghostery is more like Adblock Plus.

They both have subscription lists of items to filter out. The difference between the two is Ghostery's subscription list is updated by them only, whereas Adblock Plus has 3rd-party lists.

The Firefox version of Ghostery is way better as the blocklist there is categorized, so you can pick and choose the type of items you want to block. They also have a cookie blocking feature, which is the only feature I use on the Firefox version.
is it stealth? ;)

SYSTEM

#21 Post by SYSTEM »

http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/paste-an ... ra-tab-bar

Under Unix, there is an even more useful feature (middle-click anywhere to Paste and Go), but it's not available on Windows. :(
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

tproli

#22 Post by tproli »

Perhaps it is new only to me but I will share this. In Opera preferences you can set file associations and you can set relative paths too - nothing new so far.

If you set pdf association as in the image below and you double-click on a downloaded pdf file from the Downloads panel, it will open in the default viewer (not STDU in my case). But in the Downloads panel if you right-click on the file and select "Open" it will be opened in STDU Viewer (note that the STDU setting is NOT selected):

This way you can open files with your portables any time (even days later) from the Downloads panel because you don't have to set Opera to always open files "on the fly".

guinness

#23 Post by guinness »

So it's like Cafe in Opera! Nice find.

tproli

#24 Post by tproli »

Sort of. But I don't like drinking in theaters :)

guinness

#25 Post by guinness »

tproli wrote:Sort of. But I don't like drinking in theaters :)
Very clever :mrgreen:

tproli

#26 Post by tproli »

I was annoyed of the very large number of icons in the profile folder of Opera, currently 9200 files using 22 MB of disk space. Now I disabled icons entirely, see how it goes.

Here you can read how to do this + other tips:
http://operawiki.info/operaperformance

joby_toss

#27 Post by joby_toss »

For Opera and StarCraft fans (like me :) ), here is a nice extension:

Team Liquid Streams
What's currently being streamed on teamliquid.net

Team Liquid is a community site focused on StarCraft and pro-gaming.

- list streams ordered by number of viewers or other criteria
- countdown until next GOMTV broadcasting
- choose to list only games you are interested in (sc2, bw, dota2, lol,..)
- set favorite streams, number of currently on-air is shown in the icon
- alert notification if any stream reaches preset number of viewers
- set the size of the pop-up window and number of streams being shown

More details:
For GOMTV you have two options to choose from, update from: 'google calendar' or from 'gomtv.net'

* Google calendar - The extension is getting the start and the end time of an gom-event from the gom's google calendar. With mouse over gom-icon it shows you titles of the next three events. This option is sometimes less accurate since calendar is not beeing updated that often, but its more likely to be online and working.

* Gom web site - The extension is getting the title and the time of the next event from gomtv.net/live. The data are more up to date, but the site might be slower or down, or code on it might change over time, breaking this option.

Setting the number of streams being shown to '0', shows all current streams on teamliquid.net.
Disabling 'race' column speeds up loading time of the pop-up window.
The extension updates list of streams from teamliquid every 10 minutes, GOMTV updates every 3 hours. Manual refresh updates both and is allowed every 2 minutes. Gom update is considerably slower than teamliquid update.
Ordering streams by favorites or featured, orders them by number of viewers as well.

This extension is basically opera-port of 'Team Liquid Streams++' by fyresoul

joby_toss

#28 Post by joby_toss »

YousableTubeFix for Opera
Script Summary: Removes ads and unwanted sections (configurable), allows downloading and resizing videos, changes the default video quality, expands the description and the video size, can prevent autoplay and autobuffering, etc...
Note: the_watcher already mentioned it in Opera 10's thread, but I love this script so much that I believe it deserves another mention here. :)

Magibon

#29 Post by Magibon »

guinness wrote:This Ghacks post led me to find an "Opera's NoScript alternative" called NotScripts.
@ guinness
i find it simpler to right-click a page > Edit Site Preferences > Scripting > and simply uncheck scripts.

i try to avoid installing unnecessary/redundant stuff..

@ joby_toss
thanks for the tutorial..

F.Y.I
There's a cool extension for downloading from YouTube, for people who don't want to mess with installing user scripts:
https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/ ... display=en
(compatible with the new Opera too)

I also use Ghostery.. love that extension.
In combo with fanboy's urlfilter.ini, and hostsman, my surfing is smooth and ad-free :)
Last edited by Magibon on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

freakazoid

#30 Post by freakazoid »

New for Opera 12 is the Autostack extension:
https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/ ... autostack/

This will automatically stack tabs together when you open a tab next to a new one.

You'll have to fiddle around with the settings in this extension to get it to work the way you want it, but it's quite nice.
is it stealth? ;)