Portable Software Updater

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
guinness

Portable Software Updater

#1 Post by guinness »

Tested: Portable - But I couldn't get it to work.
Keep your PortableApps.com software up-to-date with Portable Software Updater

As you probably know, most of the programs on portableapps.com don't have an update notification feature or, if they do, it's for the non-portable version (which is not very helpful, right?). Portable Software Updater will help you keep your portable software up-to-date. No need to open each program's webpage every day, waste time visiting the download page, wait for the download process to finish, copy it to your portable apps folder and run it. Portable Software Updater is a freeware program that can help you skip all these steps with just one click!
Download: http://apps.nozavi.com/downloads?task=v ... load&cid=2

JohnTHaller

Re: Portable Software Updater

#2 Post by JohnTHaller »

As an alternative, you can use the PortableApps.com Updater which is built into the current beta of the PortableApps.com platform.
http://portableapps.com/news/2010-07-17 ... 5_released

It updates the same set of apps and is open source. The app database is updated at the same time we announce releases on PortableApps.com. And the installers work automatically with no additionally clicking.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Tried it out today and really pleased. I skipped over it initially as guinness mentioned it didn't work, but no problems on my side. This is a big deal as I've been looking for any kind of automatic app updater for portable freeware for quite a while.

-----

Portable Software Update works beautifully on any folder that contains PortableApps software and won't interfere with your current directory structure or other portable software. It is a one-stop solution for fully updating your PortableApps software with an absolute minimum of user activity.

Important links:
  • The home page (effectively) on the forums. Goes into a bit more explanation.
  • The support forum (contains the home page linked to above)
Explanation about terms:
  • Check = compare local executable version against remote
  • Check&DL = Just download the executable.
  • Check&RI = Check for update and prompt for install (user is given some options)
  • Check&SI = Check for update and silently install if there is an update (no user intervention).
Usage suggestions:
  • By default, the program does nothing except check your local folders program version numbers. You must enable it to check programs against remote versions individually by the dropdown "actions" box next to the application. To change all program settings at once, select the "Settings" tab "Change menus for ALL listed aprograms to ..."
  • The support page lists some problems with silent install. Recommend using RI (regular install)
Test Results:
  • Worked fine for me on an XP SP3 system. Not as easy to use like the PortableApps beta probably, but a bit more suited to powerusers.
  • Tested on Abiword 2.8.5 to update to 2.8.6 using download, manual install, and silent install. All worked perfectly.
  • Negatively, green icon isn't very convenient as it looks very similar to XP's own USB ejection button. Given that this is a power-user tool anyhow, this is a pretty small gripe

guinness

#4 Post by guinness »

I think it didn't work me because I tend to rename the executable's when it comes to PortableApps software. I am not keen on the "Portable" prefix e.g. FirefoxPortable. I understand this is considered bad practice with PortableApps Software, but I like to have an understanding of my Portable Apps.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:I think it didn't work me because I tend to rename the executable's when it comes to PortableApps software. I am not keen on the "Portable" prefix e.g. FirefoxPortable. I understand this is considered bad practice with PortableApps Software, but I like to have an understanding of my Portable Apps.
Hah! Yeah it took me a long time to go all through my Pstart menu and make sure I removed *every* mention of "portable", since I realized that was redundant and unnecessary.

I never changed the directory names just because I was overwriting the previous directory with the changed directory, something that was necessary with the Kitchen Sink project's frequent updates.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

Entry posted:

Portable Software Updater: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1975

guinness

#7 Post by guinness »

Wow! Thanks for adding on my behalf :) Voted!

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

Version 3 beta is out:
http://apps.nozavi.com/downloads/summary/2/22

Nozavi is looking for feedback so if anyone would take a look and make suggestions, that would be a big help. I'll provide some ideas hopefully in the weeks ahead.

donald

#9 Post by donald »

Most recent PortableApps.com Platform upgrade breaks functionality of PSU.
Version 3.0.0.0 on XP Sp3

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Old thread update:

I wrote up a breakdown on the latest version but when the PA functionality was broken, I set aside my notes. Now, sadly it looks like Nozavi shut down his site. I'll go ahead and include my notes just in case he comes back to it.

Edit: added note to entry

---

Beta 3 is a very different look and it works great. so far. I've had some issues with the PA Platform updater so I'm still using this.

Wishlist:
  • * "Run" and "Cancel" buttons to manually start/stop the updates. An available setting to auto run

* After you setup the program to update, it will always run the update before doing anything else. Need to have an "execute" button for anything except version checks.
Other notes:
  • * The program just checks versions by default, you have to go into settings to enable download.

* Updates by default go as individual exe files to the desktop.

* During the update process, I tried to put the computer to sleep during the update process. It seemed to freeze the update process and there wasn't a cancel button.

Nozavi

#11 Post by Nozavi »

Could someone please remove the old links? I've already left a comment on the listing, but it hasn't been noticed I guess... Thank you

webfork

#12 Post by webfork »

Nozavi wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:49 pm Could someone please remove the old links? I've already left a comment on the listing, but it hasn't been noticed I guess... Thank you
Thanks for the update, good to see your site back online. I can't find anything on the page about version number. SigcheckGUI is listing it as 5.0. Is that accurate?

File Data

Filename: psu.exe
MD5: E9E148208DAE13B15EB6A167AB2F7201
SHA1: 2DC8F458D74A38FEECD889B9B373A96883BC8AC7
SHA256: 0C259FA4E06B02C890CEB17D1C395DD1FBE8BEBD90DCB17A170F0E0D5FD75103
VirusTotal Rating: 07/68
VirusTotal URL: https://www.virustotal.com/file/0c259fa ... /analysis/

Nozavi

#13 Post by Nozavi »

Well, to be honest, that was an intentional omission on my part as I'm trying to move away from the concept of version numbers - that's why all new releases have a generic 5 as their software version btw - because all future releases will no longer use (and therefore display) the previous numbering system (1.1, 1.2, etc)

The current updater no longer works that way and I also plan on offering less updates with more features. In other words, I will focus on providing major releases 3-4 times a year instead of small / monthly / incremental additions.

That's why I postponed the release of TV Episodes Renamer, for example. The version I'm currently developing is so different from what's on display online that I'll have to redo everything when I'll release it - since I've already added several other major features, that is.

Last, but not least, apps like Portable Software Updater and TV Episodes Renamer will rely a lot on information stored in the cloud, so in some cases I'll just update that instead of updating the app itself.

In conclusion, version numbers seem like a thing of the past. I'll probably give them another thought once I release TV Episodes Renamer, but I really don't see any reason to change my mind... You can use 5 if a version number is absolutely mandatory, but I'd avoid displaying it, if that's possible.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

Nozavi wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:22 pm In conclusion, version numbers seem like a thing of the past. I'll probably give them another thought once I release TV Episodes Renamer, but I really don't see any reason to change my mind... You can use 5 if a version number is absolutely mandatory, but I'd avoid displaying it, if that's possible.
If you don't put a version number on the program, that's fine, I can just make it the release date. I've seen a number of programs (most notably SMPlayer) using the release a date as a version number. It's sequential, meaning numbers only ever go up, and you can address whether someone testing your program that has a reported problem or clearly understand a suggestion. After all, it's hard to replicate a problem across 3 or 4 different program versions.

Nozavi

#15 Post by Nozavi »

That's fine by me, just remove the current/old links and notices please.

btw, you might want to update the other listings as well ;) Since their links lead directly to my website I've made sure they're working, but in some cases your download links might lead to the presentation page instead of the download page

Thank you :)