oscar's renamer for folders?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
fang-face

oscar's renamer for folders?

#1 Post by fang-face »

hi.
i tried several renamers from the database and i like some of them. but the greatest of them all is oscar's. well, if it's not too many files (e.g. >=100) to rename at once, but too many to rename one by one, it is great, especially if it's not in a general renaming pattern (numbering them, change blank into -, ...).
unfortunately, oscar's does only rename files, not folders. so my question: does anyone know of a similar editor-like renaming-tool for folders? (or -- ahem, saucy -- can make one?)

webfork

Re: oscar's renamer for folders?

#2 Post by webfork »

FreeCommander (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=291) will rename folders, although I don't know if it works like Oscar.

I am impressed by this question simply because I realized I've never tried to rename folders, only files. It seems like such an obvious and simple thing, but I don't think the renamer programs I've tested will do that.

taotra

#3 Post by taotra »

fang-face wrote:hi.
unfortunately, oscar's does only rename files, not folders. so my question: does anyone know of a similar editor-like renaming-tool for folders? (or -- ahem, saucy -- can make one?)
Yes, there is a program that does that, it's called Advanced Renamer and it's portable and free. It has tabbed options to either rename files or folders.
Advanced Renamer Overview
Advanced Renamer is free program for renaming multiple files or folders at once. It can use several different methods for calculating the new name including multimedia tools for sound and picture files.

Advanced Renamer makes it easy to set up an advanced batch job using multiple methods on a large amount of files. The eight different methods make it possible for you to change the names, attributes and timestamps of files in one go.

With Advanced Renamer you can construct new file names by adding, removing, replacing, changing case, or giving the file a brand new name based on known information about the file.

This program is a great utility for organising digital pictures for both professionals and beginners. The thumbnail mode lets you display thumbnails directly in the file list giving you maximum control of the renaming process. With this program you can rename all your photos in a snap.

MP3 files often have messed up names and contain weird characters. With Advanced Renamer you can change the names of your favourite music files to more suitable names using the built-in ID3 functions.
Download: http://aren.hulubulu.net/download/

taotra

#4 Post by taotra »

There is also Lupas Rename on TPFC here:
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=47

It has a button that says: Work with folders (folder as files).

guinness

#5 Post by guinness »

Renamer in my opinion is all you need! :)

fang-face

#6 Post by fang-face »

hello and thank you for your suggestions.

i see that i didn't make my point clear enough. i have tested about 10 of the renamers in the database several months ago (to some extent) and i liked 3 or 4 of them pretty much (ken rename, flexible renamer, ...), but all of them are missing the "oscar-feature".

let me explain it with an example: let's say i have a folder with 50 songs from e.g. "The Doors", all of them are called "The Doors - <song-name>". but i want them to be called "Doors, the--<song-name>". then i use one of the suggested renamers with the rule "replace all 'The Doors - ' with 'Doors, the--' ", and all the files are renamed. oscar doesn't do that. the same works, if the files are folders.

now the following situation: there are 80 files in the folder, but 50 have e.g. typos (gama ray, iron maden, dors, beetls, ...). i can't see a rule/ pattern, which would rename all the files in one run. i have to right-click 50 times and rename 50 files one after another. this is, where oscar's renamer comes in (screenshot): you open the folder in oscar and you see the 80 filenames as if you were in an editor. you can move the curser and edit the filenames as if you were editing a text (gama ray > gamma-ray, iron maden > iron maiden, dors > doors, beetls > beatles, ...). i find that simply great. but oscar doesn't do that with folders, they don't appear in the editable text. that is, what i am looking for.

i know that some file managers can rename several files and folders in one run. i actually don't know if one of them comes close to what i want. i also had a look at many of the file managers in the database (ultra explorer, xyplorer, freecommander, ........), but 1. i didn't put focus on the renaming ability, 2. none of them beat the one i use (idoswin free/ pro) for one or another reason (i forgot most of the reasons, i just kept in mind that there was something i disliked more than i miss tabs in idoswin). (some people swear by total commander, but i didn't get on well with it.)

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

OK
Start KenRename.
Go to Options>General>Double Click File List and choose Rename Manually.
Select what you like to rename right from the main window: All files, Folders, Archives etc.
Double click the first wrong spelled file.
Correct it; you have the possibility to automatically move to the next file/folder when you hit OK or skip the next file.
Does this work out for you?

fang-face

#8 Post by fang-face »

thanks joby_toss.
yes, that's good. it's not quite what i am looking for, not quite that comfortable, but it comes close. and it is in one of those renamers that i already liked anyway (probably in others as well and i just didn' t find it).

taotra

#9 Post by taotra »

I think I found a program that comes close to what Oscar's does but also for folder names. It's called Flexible Renamer, it's free and seems to be portable. You can download it here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/flexrenamer.html

Once you open the program, do the following:

On top, click Specify folder

In the left window, select the main directory under which all the folders are located that you want to rename

In the Rename File/Folder window (middle), under Target, uncheck File and check Folder. Ignore what's listed under Menu

In the right window, put your cursor on the first folder you want to rename under the column New Name, hit F2 or slow double-click, enter your corrections and then use your keyboard Down Arrow to automatically open the edit field for the next folder

After all corrections select the folders you just renamed with your Ctrl or Shift key and click on Rename in the middle window

That's it.

taotra

#10 Post by taotra »

Here's an even easier program to rename folders. It's called RenPhoric.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/renphoric.html

You can make it portable by extracting the setup file and deleting everything but the {app} folder. However, it does need NET Framework 2.0.

In the program, select your main directory under which the folders to be renamed are located. Make sure the Flatten Subdirectories box is unchecked. It will show you everything that's listed under the main directory, with folders first followed by all files. You can then edit every folder/file name as in a regular text editor. After the changes, click on Save Changes. That's all.

fang-face

#11 Post by fang-face »

great.
flexible renamer does just like kenrename, both are already in the database here. but even better: renphoric does it even more like oscar's, great. i had just a short try and i got some error messages "unhandled exception" (don't know what that means, i have .net 2), but it seemed to work well, i just clicked the messages away.
now i have 3 options which work very well as i wished.
thank you all very much.

taotra

#12 Post by taotra »

fang-face wrote:i got some error messages "unhandled exception" (don't know what that means, i have .net 2), but it seemed to work well, i just clicked the messages away.
I had the same error message the first time I closed the program. However, on subsequent closings that message doesn't appear again. It just seems to happen on the initial use, perhaps due to the fact that it was extracted and run as portable.

Hydaral

#13 Post by Hydaral »

Rename Master can do something like this. If you select folder only mode, rename the first folder and then instead of pressing enter, press the down cursor, this will let you edit the next folder name.

http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=269

Ruby

#14 Post by Ruby »

I agree with guiness >> "Renamer in my opinion is all you need!"
With Pascal Scripting on board, ReNamer is very Powerful and Flexible, I have done all the renaming ops you have already described, and then some.
I recommended you try the beta from the project downloads page (quite stable).
You might also want to check the forum. Here's the search results for "rename folders".
If you have some complex rename ops that require some extra scripting, you can usually find some help on the forum.
Here's an example of somebody getting help with appending the number of files in a folder to the folder name.

fang-face

#15 Post by fang-face »

i once had a look at ReNamer and rejected it (for whatever reason). now i had a second look and my expression is, that it is an advanced, sophisticated tool. i probably need a deeper look to learn how to use it, for the moment i didn't succeed in using it as i wanted (i could edit the names one by one, but i had to type the whole new name).
Ruby wrote:With Pascal Scripting on board, ReNamer is very Powerful and Flexible, I have done all the renaming ops you have already described, and then some.
that's what i mean with "advanced". i know just little about programming (i could more, but i'm not the most patient (and in this topic interested) person to learn it).
Ruby wrote:You might also want to check the ...
If you have some complex rename ops that require some extra scripting, you can usually find some help on the forum.
Here's an example ...
thanks for those examples. i had a look and: programming is just not my world(?). (i know some syntax, but where the hell do i get the knowledge, what "WideScanDirForFiles(BasePath, Files, False, False, False, '*.txt');" means and that that is the needed function? ...) (maybe i also could learn to take help from forums. i'm pretty hesitating in asking "can someone write for me the code for ...".)
maybe i will warm up with it in the future. (i hope i'm not impolite.)

at taotra: i would like to add renphoric to the (personal) database, but it's actually your discovery, so is this ok? and: you're right, now no more messages.