It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CyberShredder trick
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:06 pm 

Figured out two tricks to quickly shred files without needing to have a program actively running as with EraserDrop. (This is a pretty basic howto that will be pretty obvious to experienced users.)

Send To method

1. Start up CyberShredder (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=202)
  2. Select "Shortcut in Send To menu" and then
  3. Right-click on a file you want to wipe, choose "Send To" and "CyberShredder"
  4. From the Settings menu, select "Auto exit when invoked with Parameters". This sets up the program so it will close after running.

Desktop Method

Alternately (and the way I prefer), create something like the Recycle Bin on the desktop, but for file wipe:

1. Start up CyberShredder (http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=202)
  2. From the file menu, select "Shortcut on desktop"
  3. From the Settings menu, select "Auto exit when invoked with Parameters". This sets up the program so it will close after running.

You're done.

Now the next time you want to wipe a file, drag it to the CyberShredder icon rather than the recycle bin.

Optionally:

• Check the box next to "Confirm File Deletion" under "Settings" to make sure you don't accidentally wipe something you didn't mean to.
  • Rename the shorcut to "Wipe"
  • I changed my icon so its a little more of a warning symbol than the default icon. Right click the shortcut, select properties, and choose a new icon. I found one I liked over at IconArchive.com (not the one used below).

More Portable Freeware | EFF v Trump | FFox+DDG user | Projects donated to: VLC, CubicExplorer, Ditto, Greenshot, TrueCrypt, WinSplit, ClickyGone, ImgBurn, Rockbox, Serva, ShareX, LibreOffice, Splat, TinyTask, Asuite, AutoVer, KompoZer