Tonido: Personal Cloud

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Firewrath

Tonido: Personal Cloud

#1 Post by Firewrath »

Alright, first, the reason this is in the 'Discussion' part of the forum and why im not going to submit it is:
In order to use this program. You HAVE to register a profile.

...besides ticking me off just slightly, because i dont like being 'forced' to register for a service i'll never use, and even if i did i dont trust anyone relaying my information over the net, but thats a personal thing, :P
not to mention, no job = no money for net access, so no registering anyways, :roll:
(and no, im not going to install and register from my friends comp, :P
...but i have caught up a lot on my reading, ;))

i was only interested in it to run on my local network, which you can, After you register. -_-
so i'll just stick with Money Manager Ex (which is where i found the link to this from) and meh about accessing it over my network,
or move on to EyeOS if they ever get something like an MMex app,

Anyways, Site:
http://www.tonido.com/

(Edit: Also when you first run the program, its set to start with windows, you can turn that off by right-clicking on its tray icon and unchecking it there)

USB install from the site:

Code: Select all

Running Tonido on a USB drive

It is easy to run Tonido in a self-contained folder. When Tonido runs this way, you can easily copy this folder into a USB drive and take Tonido with you wherever you go.

Steps

1.      Install Tonido as you normally do for your supported OS.
2.      Open the Tonido install directory
3.      Copy the Tonido install directory into your USB thumbdrive
4.      Open the localconfig.xml file in that folder and change the 'HOME' value to a relative directory path that will now be inside Tonido's directory. For example 'profiledata'. Save the file.
5.      Start tonido from the USB drive and the new directory will now be created inside Tonido's directory in the thumbdrive.

Sample localconfig.xml before change

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<variantrow>

<rowentry>

<name>AppRoot</name>

<type>string</type>

<value>HOME</value>

</rowentry>

</variantrow>

Sample localconfig.xml after change

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<variantrow>

<rowentry>

<name>AppRoot</name>

<type>string</type>

<value>profiledata</value>

</rowentry>

</variantrow>
Hope someone finds it useful, ^-^
see you all in another couple of months or so, :P

webfork

Re: Tonido: Personal Cloud

#2 Post by webfork »

Lifehacker's article on Tonido

From what I could gather, this program essentially sets up your home computer as a server/portal for everything you own. This has the advantage of making it so you control absolutely ALL your own content and allows you to connect to your home computer, run applications, and so on. Its pretty cool, but requires you to have a computer at home on all the time.

dyno

#3 Post by dyno »

Hi Guys,

We have created a Tonido Portable Edition for users who wants to take Tonido with them wherever they go. You can download the portable edition from http://www.tonido.com/application_download.html. Any feedback , suggestions are most welcome. We will also request Andrew to list Tonido on Portable Freeware Collection site.

Regards,
Tonido Team

Firewrath

#4 Post by Firewrath »

first, its awesome to see you here at the forum,
secondly, thanks for the portable release, i shall check that out asap after a few post here, ^-^

Thirdly,
dyno wrote: Any feedback , suggestions are most welcome.
bad thing to say around me, ;)

But seriously,
i would love the program and use it, IF i didnt have to register to use it over my local network,
i mean, i wouldnt mind manually installing updates to Tonido or the applications just as long as i could use the thing,

Now, also after i just opened my mouth there, ;)
i'll admit i have not downloaded the portable version yet to see if it allows use without registering,
the net access i'm borrowing is dialup and a 25meg download will take a bit,
so its going to be downloaded after my post here,

As for actual suggestions for the program / applications,
well i was looking at Tonido mainly because i havnt had a job in a while and wanted to start doing some odd jobs around town, and the ability to use Tonido Money Manager over my network appealed to me for keeping track of such things,
i mean grabbing my laptop and adding stuff while listening to the news (or cartoons, :P) beats sitting at my desktop doing it,

Anyways,
a way to do invoices in Tonido Money Manager would be awesome,
(using HTML tables and such i dont imagine it would be that hard, i was going to look at doing it in such a way myself)
also a customer list tied into such invoices, say either by name or customer ID number,
that way you can keep a customers name / address and all related invoices in one place,
and an inventory list could also be handy for such things,
say like with a main category per item, so all things like steel could be listed in one category, and then youd have the columns as: item name/id number | number of items in stock | price | notes,

so to explain it a little more here, :P

under navigation you would have 3 new items:
invoices
customers
inventory

clicking invoices would open a sub navigation list and in the main view show a list of all invoices youve ever done (columns as such: Invoice number | Customer name | Amount due), clicking an invoice number, either in the sub-navigation list or the main window would take you to that invoice (which would list things like the invoice ID, PO number if there is one, customer name, the date/time it was created or when work was for, then a list of items used, time spent, prices for each and a total ...the ability to add custom fields would be nice), clicking a customer name/ID on the invoice would work as below, (Also if you tie the inventory into the invoices, so they automatically add cost and such to the when you create a new one, clicking an item would take you to its item entry. BUT, if tied in as such, you would have to be sure that invoices keep static prices, even if the item has been updated, so as not to change the prices on your old invoices,)

clicking customers would open a sub navigation list and in the main view show a list of all your clients, clicking a clients, either in the sub-navigation list or the main window would take you to that clients information page, shown here would be their address, phone numbers and invoices, two invoice list would be nice here, invoices due and paid invoices,

clicking inventory would show a list of all the items you have in stock, item categories could be separated by a thick line here or such, the items would then be listed, per category, by name or ID number, clicking an item name/number, either in the sub-navigation list or the main window would take you to that items entry, which is where itd show all the info like a description, how many items you have, how much each item cost, and if you want to make it Really complicated, a list of invoices that have this item listed in them,

if you guys do add such things, (which would be great, imo, specially if you added them to MMEX to keep it compatible, :P)
a Search option in all that would be nice, instead of having to do it 'by hand',

...and im not even going to touch things like employees / payroll and other such things,
its beyond the scope of my use and i wouldnt know where to start with that, :P

so, yeah, told you it was a bad idea to ask for suggestions where i can hear you, ;)

Anyways,
Main point:
Allow Tonido to be used with-OUT having to register it for local use, i have no use for the forwarding service,
its a great idea, but its just not for me,
(Specially since i want to use this for fiances, and that is something i would Not trust the internet in-general with, i never even used online banking, so my trust issues are not just with this program, :P)
Again, i havnt downloaded the portable version, so idk if it needs to be registered or not yet,
i'll do so when i can here,

second point:
invoices would be nifty/handy,
...and save me from having to do it by html/java script or php, ;)

Anyways, im off to download the portable version,
so if you read this, thanks for taking the time to go through my overly explained ideas, ^-^;

dyno

#5 Post by dyno »

Hi Firewrath,

Thanks for your suggestions. we will keep in mind when we do future releases.

The registration is mainly meant for facilitating remote access. Nothing more than that. Users are no way depended on Tonido forwarding service
if they want to use Tonido within LAN. You can just access Tonido by http://yourip:10001/.

Taking the registration away means total over haul for us. I don't see we doing it. Thanks for the suggestions though :)

-.-

#6 Post by -.- »

the http://yourip:10001/ thing doesnt seem to be working on portable version, not sure if im doing it right though.

Could you make it not startup with windows as default though? dont really like it when something starts up without me setting it to

dyno

#7 Post by dyno »

Hi,

I am referring to http://127.0.0.1:0001 or if you know your computer's ip address you can access using http://<yourcomputerip>:1001/. Can you try that. Y

ou can disable the Run at windows startup by accessing the Tonido MENU (RIGHT CLICK Toniod icon in the task bar).

Let me know if you experience any issues. I have just tested in my xp computer.

-.-

#8 Post by -.- »

ok got it to work
I saw you could disable the autostart, just saying it should be disabled by default. A portable version means its unlikely that it'll be always ran on the same computer, leaving a startup program on someone else's computer isnt very nice :D lol

i'll try this more later on weekend but it looks nice

Firewrath

#9 Post by Firewrath »

ok, quick reply here,

i made a test account, and i will say im impressed with the software and what it offers,
i was in the first place, thats why i wanted to use it and why i posted it about it here,

so i then ran tonido,
right clicked on the tray icon and turned 'Tonido Web Access' to 'Local Only'
then i turned 'Tonido Network' to 'Disable'

then ran it as the only program running with net access and logged the packets,

it sent a packet containing:
<AccountName>@tonidoid.com
to:
*66.135.59.56 (tonidoid.com)

and sent another packet here:
*67.215.242.139 (router.bittorrent.com)
(Im guessing this has to do with the torrent client, given the ip address and the fact i couldnt 'read' the packet)

(*Links to robtex info on the IPs)
(i also had an odd TCP connection, but that was once out of 5 test, im writing it off as a fluke for now, :P)

besides registering to use the program, such things as above i have a problem with,
i dont like a program doing something, that it seemingly shouldnt after i disabled the options for it to do so,

Now, the torrent thing i can understand somewhat as people might want to download torrents while using tonido locally,
but imo, it shouldnt try to connect when 'Tonido Web Access' is set to 'Local Only'
to me that implies it wont access the internet at all,

So,
since the registering thing wont change, how about:
Tonido comes with a Default profile that can Only be used for the local network,
if someone then wants to use Tonido over the net, they can register their own profile like normal.

Also if 'Tonido Web Access' is set to 'Local Only' make it so it wont connect to anything outside of the local network, if someone wants it to have web-access, they can leave it set to 'All',
and if 'Tonido Network' is set to 'Disable', then it shouldnt try to connect to 'tonidoid.com'

Now i know it seems like im just complaining and being nit-picky, and i am, though only Slightly, :P
im abit of a security nut, so things like this catch my attention in a 'ok, whats it doing, i told it not to do that' kind of way, ^-^
(as a side note, ive already told it to block all connections except from 127.0.0.1 in the Tonido settings and its Still trying to connect, ...sooo yeah, :P)

I dont really want to bug you guys about it, as i think its an awesome program, but id like to see it improve to where im comfortable using it, ^-^
and if i noticed it, then either someone else already has or will, :P
i mean, i didnt even try the program since i found it back in January because of the registering bit,

Anyways, i'll hope you'll consider those changes, i know the connection part might be a little annoying to implement, but had to throw it out there anyways. ^-^;
(imo it would make the program a bit more secure, but thats me, :P)
The connection 'research' was done because a friend was considering using Tonido after i told them about it and was wondering where it was connecting to,
(Since i dont have a net connection i didnt really look into it before, but they do, so i checked it out,)

Now, for a suggestion you might actually consider:
Allow the torrent program to download one file from the torrent instead of the Whole torrent,
with dialup, downloading a 500+meg torrent for a 3-5meg file just isnt going to happen, :P

Ok, im done now,
...plus i think people are getting tired of me 'borrowing their internet for a bit' ...which turns into an hour or more, ^-^;;

-.-

#10 Post by -.- »

ok played with it :D this is nice for school, i can grab files if i forget it at home

is it possible to get it to somehow shut down the host computer too? I cant use other programs to shut down computer across internet from school, but I also dont need the computer on all day after i grab the files

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Program is still seeing active development (including the portable version) across MANY platforms.

Official site
http://www.tonido.com/application_download.html

Softpedia: Tonido Portable 2.51.0.18312
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... able.shtml

Note that the program isn't technically a "cloud" program unless you run it on multiple machines and configure synchronization. Otherwise, its just using a client-server model.

Midas

#12 Post by Midas »

Tonido is currently v4.79.0.26297 (changelog at http://www.tonido.com/tonido-release-notes/).

Portable(?) package is at http://www.tonido.com/tonidodesktop_downloads/...

smaragdus

#13 Post by smaragdus »

Tonido at version 7.83.0.27601, latest (and most significant) changes:
– Tonido Desktop Fully Free
– Biz and Pro Features are free
Both Tonido and Weezo seem to have been abandoned.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Both Tonido and Weezo seem to have been abandoned.
Agreed. That's unfortunate.