Whats your current favorite PF app?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Easybeat

#16 Post by Easybeat »

128mb is enough space to run a lot of apps, and I mean a lot of apps. I estimate on my 128mb stick that I have 140 utilities installed, another 35 that require install and about 15mb of documents, games, pictures, wallpapers, icons etc.

To save space I do the following:-
Remove all none essential files from an app such licenses, help files, language files, source code etc etc
Use the UPX tool to compress the .exe and .dll files.
Use some older versions which usually take up less space
Continually search for smaller apps doing the same thing.

Of those installed I mainly use:-
Off by One browser
Adaware
Hijack This
UPX Tool
Peer Guardian Lite
Ghostwall
Real VNC
Microburner
DVD Shrink
Winlame
Fusion media player
Clockgen
Photofiltre
Snico icon editor

Yucca

#17 Post by Yucca »

Is Ghostwall portable? Several of us here have been looking for a portable firewall.

Can you tell us about your experience with it? Any advice or cautions? Any serious limitations?

Thanks.

Yucca

Easybeat

#18 Post by Easybeat »

Okay, to be honest I use Ghostwall on 2 machines from 1 USB Stick and I've never really ran a proper portability check (I run too many things) However I know of quite a few other Firewalls that may well be portable as well but I just never got around to trying:-

Tiny Firewall

http://www.darisus.de/Soft/Soft.php

Jetico Firewall

http://www.jetico.com/

SoftPerfect Firewall

http://www.softperfect.com/products/firewall/

Ghostwall

http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=ghostwall

Peer Guardian Lite (More of an IP Blocker than Firewall)

http://phoenixlabs.org/pglite/

If I get a chance I'll test them properly, but feel free to try them out yourself.

ahoier

#19 Post by ahoier »

peerguardian lite is fairly portable. It's files stay right where you put them. Though, since it's a kernel level IP filtering solution; you need administrator rights; so it wouldn't run on a library machine where you have limited priviledges.

Though, I'd imagine most other firewalls would be about the same? I couldn't see allowing normal users access to network adapters and such anyways :P

Have yet to try the other mentioned firewalls though.

Easybeat

#20 Post by Easybeat »

Darkbee

#21 Post by Darkbee »

Easybeat wrote:How about this:-

http://citkit.ru/package/firewallpapi/
My Russian isn't so great... :)

I assume the app has an English translation?

Easybeat

#22 Post by Easybeat »

It runs in English either that or my PC has a babel fish attached to it :wink:

portackager

#23 Post by portackager »

My daily computer use at the moment mainly includes using..

1by1 1.49
Firefox 1.5
Firefox 2.0
Notepad++ 4.1.2
Autoit 3.2.4.9
Abyss Webserver x1 2.5
Sandboxie 3.00.05

As you can see I'm very stubborn about updating, but hey they work for me!

donixa

great portable apps

#24 Post by donixa »

me ??
i use alot great portable apps

Calc [yeahh windows calculator, i copy paste it to portable folder and then remove the original from the system32 haha !]
Calcute
Clamwinportable
Firefox
Linguist (local indo <-> eng dic)
Miranda (i use rarely, pidgin so much better)
Nero
Openoffice
Foxit reader PRO (yeah its pro! and damn much better then adobe!)
Pidgin
Spybot SD
Thunderbird
UltraISO
utorrent
Winamp lite
Winrar
XMplay

and may be i also need faststone viewer, file sync apps, data recovery,
i also have Britannica ultimate reference 2008 and Encarta student premium 2008

my nero also works great, it writes registry when u launch it, and then delete automatically when u exit the program

my pc run very fast !, only install sound driver + cable modem driver and manual tweak :p, no security apps installed, its naked !
except my thunderbird makes the pc abit slow becos i use imap protocol, im tired to manage local inbox !

m^(2)

#25 Post by m^(2) »

Miranda
Firefox
PowerPro
MPlayer
OllyDbg
XMPlay
AllerCalc
uTorrent

Honorable mention: Total Commander. Not free...but rocks.

brewabel

#26 Post by brewabel »

Tried not to list the obvious that everyone uses suchas FireFox, KeePass, Foxit and all the other 'typicals'.

I have between 70 & 80 apps totals that I run, but these are the frequent, not so common ones.

Daily Apps:
- FastStone Capture - best screenshot app I've found. Can do all kinds of markup after getting the capture.
- FastStone Viewer - great photo app. I quit using Picasa when I found this one.
- FastStone Resizer - another pic app. great at doing just what it says.
- YamiPod - essential portable utility for anyone with an iPod. Actually one of the ones I store directly on my iPod.
- Folder2ISO - great ISO creator. Simple & easy.
- A43 File Management Utility - tested a lot of these and have liked this one by far. Great at marking favorites and jumping around.
- Ditto - best clipboard app I've found. Great at calling up in just about every app I have. Command line being the exception.
- hottnotes - Great post it program. Love the ability of a checklist type note.
- LockNote - Good encrypted text file program from an industry leader.
- Mp3tag - Couldn't live without this tag editor.
- Universal Extractor - think everyone in the portable community knows of this, but I didn't see it listed.

Frequently Used:
- Png Optimizer - great tool to help minimize file size of png's.
- SharePod - another essential iPod app. allows me to easily copy songs between PC & iPod.
- Audacity - great audio editor. also good for making ringtones.
- BoncEnc - CD ripper I couldn't live without.
- MaxSerial - recently found app that's great for holding registration and serial numbers in.
- WeatherMate - cool little weather app that gives very detailed info.

Queue

#27 Post by Queue »

It's so tough to pick just one...
It's a toss up between Resource Hacker (largely for icon extraction) and Regshot.

I use PStart as well, but it's not fair to list as first since it basically ALWAYS gets run, while the other stuff varies some. I haven't switched to ASuite yet because... it's still in development; if I can pick something that'll never have another version versus one I have to keep updated, I'll take the one that potentially has flaws but doesn't have to be maintained (as long as the bugs aren't crippling). PStart's only flaw for me is it crashes when you exit it on Win9x; not a show stopper.

I'm clearly in the minority though, I also don't use Firefox (portable or otherwise), or KeePass, or Thunderbird, or FileZilla, or Open Office. I use Foxit but not portably (in fact, I set up a NSIS installer that I carry around with my Flash Drive so I can easily install Foxit quickly and easily when people want a fast alternative to Adobe Acrobat Reader). I just rely on the basics to be installed at any given computer I use (IE, WMP, Paint, Notepad) though I do carry around a lot of icon and HEX editors and utilities to fix computers and clean up malware.

My Flash Drive is like a first aid kit and surgeon's tools combined together for diagnosing and repairing issues. I tend to just use the host computer's installed software for the trivial stuff like browsing the internet or viewing text/images/video/audio.

Queue

XIONG

#28 Post by XIONG »

As you said, will Flash Drive is the same as the first first-aid kits and surgical tools together, for diagnosis and fix the problem. This really is a very good note

0aaron

#29 Post by 0aaron »

My Favorite Portable Software

Office Software:OpenOffice
Email Program:Quick Mailer
Messenger:iChat
Media Tools:VLC
Graphics Software:IrfanView
Browser:Firefox
Security Software:ClamWin, Keepass Password
Games:Nagaskaki, NeverBall, Sudoku

steve0