Is Opera 10 standard portable or not ? (1)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
joby_toss

Is Opera 10 standard portable or not ? (1)

#1 Post by joby_toss »

It does not write outside its own folder, it creates only few negligible registry entries (like [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Opera Software]
"Last CommandLine v2"="D:\\Joby\\InternetStuff\\OperaPortable\\opera.exe ") as long as you do not set it as the default browser ... so ... is it portable or not ?

I am talking about Opera version 10.00 Beta build 1551 downloaded here http://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/win/1000b1/en/ (the classic version).
I used UE to extract the contents and then Opera set its own profile paths as you see here:

I copied it on my usb stick and used it on a different system and again Opera changed the profile paths accordingly. (I really don't recommend launching it directly from the usb stick as it is very slow due to the fact that it does all the caching directly on the device).

I know it is not stealth, but I really think it is portable!

Your thoughts?!
Last edited by joby_toss on Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

m^(2)

#2 Post by m^(2) »

OK, I just copied Opera@USB (9.62) from C to E, run op.com and then searched it's files for a string "c:\".
Result:
You might want to take a look into these ini files, 9.62 isn't portable (skin, dictionary and some other things don't move), maybe 9.80 changed this, but I don't think so.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

I can't find anywhere on my PC spellcheck.ini, operadef6.ini, nor opera6.ini files.
I tested version 10 with Sandboxie and nothing gets written outside Opera10 own folder.
The dictionary folder is inside profile folder, spell check is working fine, also Opera10 uses a different skin now ... everything seems portable ... I'm a little puzzled ...

(I've changed the topic's title to reflect Opera's version - 10)

m^(2)

#4 Post by m^(2) »

I read 9.80 from "browser identification".
I don't have a later version and I'm too lazy to download it (I don't use Opera anyway), but maybe try to search config files, as a major release, Opera 10 might indeed become portable by itself. Or use FileMon ,it will tell you whether Opera tries to read something outside of it's folder, that's just as important as writes.

Napiophelios

#5 Post by Napiophelios »

If you dont have it as your default browser it only seems to make one registry entry
So I would think its basically a portable.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Opera Software

Just make a JPE launcher to redirect this one REG entry and its perfectly portable :)
Man I like the new look and really like the new Speed Dial features.
Opera justs keeps gettin better and better without getting more bloated.
Last edited by Napiophelios on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myzdoxae

#6 Post by myzdoxae »

What's wrong with Opera@USB?
http://opera10.opera-usb.com/

The other site that offers Opera Portable doesn't offer up Opera 10, yet.
http://www.kejut.com/operaportable

joby_toss

#7 Post by joby_toss »

myzdoxae wrote:What's wrong with Opera@USB?
http://opera10.opera-usb.com/
What exactly do you mean? No one here said there might be something wrong with Opera@USB. I started this topic in the hope that we may find out that Opera is natively portable (I strongly believe that a portable version of any software is way better than any other portable version of that same software offered by a third party).

I found out other interesting things in the meantime; for example, if you first run opera.exe (from where you extracted it) on a system that already has Opera browser installed, then the things get a bit more complicated: you will end up with the settings saved also in AppData, but in a different folder than the one already there (from the installed version).

So if you want to stay on the safe side there are 2 options:
- either you first run opera.exe from where you extracted the installer on a system that doesn't have any version of Opera already installed (as I did and I have absolutely no problems running my newly portable opera on any other system now, regardless of Opera already being there or not - only the first run is important) ...
or
- you use Opera@USB and stay on the safe side! :)

See ya!

ashghost

Opera 10 Final appears to be portable as well

#8 Post by ashghost »

Opera 10 Final is also natively portable. I couldn't extract it, so I installed it under Sandboxie, then copied everything to a folder. I thought it wasn't portable anymore, but then I tried changing the "Multi User" value in operaprefs_default.ini.

I'll give a detailed explanation so that any John Q. Computeruser that comes by should be able to do this (and perhaps for the description in the database, if it gets added).

1. Install to default directory.
2. Copy the contents of "C:\Program Files\Opera" to a folder on your portable drive
3. Copy the contents of the %APPDATA% folders to the same folder you put the program files in.
  • On Vista, it's "C:\Users\<YourUsername>\AppData\Roaming\Opera" and "C:\Users\<YourUsername>\AppData\local\Opera"
    On XP, I think it's "C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUsername>\Application Data\Opera" (I can't believe I'm already forgetting).
4. Uninstall the installed copy
5. In the folder you just copied everything to, change the last line in operaprefs_default.ini from

Code: Select all

Multi User= 1 ;
to

Multi User=0 ;
6. Run opera.exe
It saves settings to the application folder, but it still writes that one registry key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\user\current\software\Opera Software]
"Last CommandLine v2"="F:\\UninstalledApps\\Opera\\opera.exe "
If you're worried about slowdowns or excessive writes to flash memory, you can disable disk caching by going to Tools -> Preferences... -> Advanced -> History

Cheers,
Ashghost

joby_toss

Re: Opera 10 Final appears to be portable as well

#9 Post by joby_toss »

ashghost wrote:Opera 10 Final is also natively portable. I couldn't extract it, so I installed it under Sandboxie, then copied everything to a folder...
You could have downloaded the "classic" installer and extract with UE using "WUN Extractor" method.
One server is this one for example:
http://mirrors.evolva.ro/opera/win/
Last edited by joby_toss on Sat May 29, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Checker

Re: Is Opera 10 standard portable or not ?

#10 Post by Checker »

Give this a try :!:

MiDoJo

#11 Post by MiDoJo »

However if you are upgrading from an old operaUSB be sure to read this

http://my.opera.com/opera-usb/forums/to ... ?id=280886

ESPecially this
One problem: I lost my custom buttons (buttons that I had dragged to the bar from a web page).

Solution:
type
opera:config#Toolbar%20Configuration

replace the default value in 10.0
"your_opera_path_here\profile\toolbar\standard_toolbar.ini"

with the new value:
"your_opera_path_here\profile\toolbar\standard_toolbar (3).ini"

This worked and restored my custom buttons.

guinness

#12 Post by guinness »

I forgot about this thread! Wish I remembered then I wouldn't have wasted an hour finding what were the differences between Opera@USB & Opera 10. I found that it was just that Multi User=0 key in "operaprefs_default.ini", couldn't understand why the MD5 of "OperaUSB.exe" was the same as "opera.exe"!

Opera is a good Browser and doesn't get as much praise as it should do. Pre-Alpha Opera 10.5 looks nothing like 10.10 or 10.20 (which isn't released yet!) I absolutely love the reinvention of the clean UI and an updated use of the find interface (now like Firefox and Chrome and not IE.) It supposedly has a new JavaScript engine which is 7x faster than its predecessor SunSpider. If you like testing I would suggest to give it a try!

freakazoid

#13 Post by freakazoid »

Man, I'm excited for Opera 10.5!
The new javascript engine is sexy (can you call javascript sexy :p) and puts Opera back near the top of the pack.

I think if you use the classic installer, Opera is almost 100% portable except for one registry setting.
is it stealth? ;)

guinness

#14 Post by guinness »

The new javascript engine is sexy (can you call javascript sexy :p) and puts Opera back near the top of the pack.
With your username I think not! :D

There has been alot of talk about Opera in the last few weeks. The co-founder & CEO Jon von Tetzchner will be replaced by Las Boilsen as the new CEO. [Techie-Buzz] The pre-alpha release of Opera 10.20 and Opera 10.50, plus details on the untold extras of Opera. [Rarst]
Maybe version 10 which was released in September 09 was a sign that Opera will dominate the browser market in 2010! Lets hope!

For all the browsers on the market each one has an individual requirement for the target audience it's trying to meet. Opera I see as being ideal for the business end of the market. Just look at there Mobile browsers!!

guinness

#15 Post by guinness »

Opera 10.50 snapshots are flying thick and fast now. Literally everyday a new release it being uploaded, I wonder if they will scrap 10.20?

Currently available 10.50.3236