Is Opera 10 standard portable or not ? (1)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
ashghost

Re: Is Opera 10 standard portable or not ?

#31 Post by ashghost »

guinness wrote:...Opera@USB is still excellent because you don't have to mess with installing and un-installing...
As joby_toss pointed out to me way back a couple of months ago at the beginning of this thread, you can use Universal Extractor if you download the "Windows Classic" installer.

guinness

#32 Post by guinness »

This could have been a changed with Opera though I couldn't see anything in the official changelog.

Still a shame about that single Registry Key, because everything else is brilliant. I can see Firefox Addons being made to replicate the search style that is native in Opera 10.50. Plus other little tweaks which don't require any installation.

freakazoid

#33 Post by freakazoid »

The other issue about Opera 10.5 is the widgets.

guinness or anyone else, have you tested if widgets leak into the registry?
Opera widgets in v10.5 are now kind of independent from Opera.

I guess this depends on the widget itself perhaps?
is it stealth? ;)

guinness

#34 Post by guinness »

I don't use widgets because I don't find them useful at all, whereas Firefox extensions adds functionality to the browser. I find that most of the functions I have as extensions in Firefox come as standard with Opera e.g. Tab previews when you highlight your mouse on a tab, Ctrl+Tab functionality works, Speech(Voice,) remember your closed tabs, Bookmark sync, Mail, Chat, Links (shows you all the links on a page) and much much more.

If you want to test the widgets be my guest but I am happy with the conclusion that Opera is practically 99% Portable.

guinness

#35 Post by guinness »

Opera 10.50* is available!

*It's Opera 10.50.3296 RC 5, but it's now considered stable.

joby_toss

#36 Post by joby_toss »

I am very satisfied with Opera 10.50, being portable and all...

However, I am facing a major issue with my current OS (win7ultimatex64): it doesn't let me set it as the default browser! Maybe it's because I upgraded (didn't do a clean install) from xpprox86, maybe because I use Opera in a portable manner (I did try to install it and didn't help), I don't know.
I did try many methods, nothing worked. I'm almost sure it is an isolated issue 'cause I didn't find similar problems searching the web.

Good thing my FARR launcher lets me choose a preferred browser!

I would be interested, however, to know if anyone else here is experiencing the same (an win7x64 user), who knows...

Edit: well...I'll be... The stable version of Opera 10.50 works as default browser! It's beyond my comprehension abilities! But so glad it works!
Last edited by joby_toss on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guinness

#37 Post by guinness »

OK, so I was browsing the Opera Docs and came across this http://www.opera.com/support/mastering/kiosk/#switches

If you take Opera.exe and then add /K /kioskbuttons to the end, it will create a Kiosk like web browser with limited access to the users system, but Ctrl+Alt+Del in XP is still accessible, there is a workaround [*][/url]

Is there nothing this 13MB application won't do? I am very very impressed with Opera 10.50 as a browser and in general as a company!

Also seems Opera6.ini is now operaprefs.ini, looks as though they have tidied up the file structure but not the documentation.

Even though they don't publicise it, it appears their intentions since V10.00 is to create a browser that can work as a standalone application and installed. They have an option to enforce use for a CD (haven't tested!) This is why my confusion between Opera@USB V9.64 and Opera@USB V10.00 started because V9.64 was a wrapper and the other wasn't, Opera@USB V10.00 .EXE had the same MD5 signature as the installed Opera .EXE. I literally couldn't understand the change until I did a bit more research on the past versions. I knew Opera V10.00 was a radical structure change, but didn't know it was that much of a difference!

So it seems that when Opera@USB took off, Opera sat back and thought perhaps we should re-design the browser to suit both users (changelogs don't show when.) With changes to the cache being written to the Profile (freakazoid, I understand what you mean, I tested Opera@USB V9.64! and it wrote the cache to the %TEMP% folder) and use of a simple file structure, goes to show they care about Portable Software more than we thought :)

Personally I think Opera should host an official ZIP version on their site, for those who appreciate Portable Software. It might even help them win the "Browser War."

If they could only change that registry key! Lets hope they're watching :)

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Opera Software ASA.

guinness

#38 Post by guinness »

Edited previous post.

Napiophelios

#39 Post by Napiophelios »

I wish they had left in the systray icon.
I liked being able to minimize to tray or use it
to access Opera downloads and notes etc.
Oh well its still my favorite browser :D

joby_toss

#40 Post by joby_toss »

Napiophelios wrote:I wish they had left in the systray icon.
I liked being able to minimize to tray or use it
to access Opera downloads and notes etc.
Oh well its still my favorite browser :D
Doesn't Ctrl+Alt+Shift+H combination work for you?

guinness

#41 Post by guinness »

Doesn't Ctrl+Alt+Shift+H combination work for you?
Works for me.

http://help.opera.com/Windows/10.50/en/keyboard.html

Napiophelios

#42 Post by Napiophelios »

Yeah works fine if I want to hide opera to the systray.

But when browsing my cursor is almost always in the lower right hand
portion of the screen and an ever present systray icon to access the file menu was just too convenient.
I dont really see a point to having this access if opera has to be hidden away

Version Build
10.10 1893

I think this is the only version that has this feature. :(

Checker

#43 Post by Checker »

Opera@USB V10.50 is now available :!:

guinness

#44 Post by guinness »

The only differences I can see now is there is still _Antiflash.css and _bantiad.css contained in the custom styles folder, en-GB included in the locales folder, plus the operaprefs.ini has been tweaked slightly.
[User Prefs]

Enable Usage Statistics=0

Check For New Opera=0
Title=Opera@USB %v
Show Default Browser Dialog=0

[Disk Cache]
Size=0
Enabled=0
Empty On Exit=1

[Proxy]
Web Turbo Config File={LargePrefs}locale\en\turbosettings.xml
I am not slating Opera@USB, but merely pointing out that there isn't a huge difference between Opera and Opera@USB as there used to be unlike Firefox and FirefoxPortable, which is obviously a wrapper!

guinness

#45 Post by guinness »

Is it only us on here that gets the annoying Registry Key, because everyone else seems to have a clean Registry when using Opera@USB or Opera?

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2010/03/03 ... r-flash-d/
When you're done playing around, just delete the folder it creates -- no annoying registry or file leftovers!