PortableApps Platform (formerly PortableApps Suite)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Re: PortableApps Platform

#16 Post by Midas »

Strong endorsement in a Red Hat sponsored FLOSS oriented publication -- as well as a case study for portable software adaptation scenarios. :idea:

I was not allowed to install any apps on the university’s Windows computers and needed a way to share certain ones with the students...

webfork

Re: PortableApps Platform

#17 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:03 am Strong endorsement in a Red Hat sponsored FLOSS oriented publication -- as well as a case study for portable software adaptation scenarios.
Yeah, I've been impressed by some of the publications there. Nice to see they're not tied solely to Redhat-platform toolsets.

Midas

Re: PortableApps Platform (formerly PortableApps Suite)

#18 Post by Midas »

Yet another recent and positive Linux originated review:

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

So two interesting notes on the PA platform update, including two platforms that I thought we'd never see in this territory:

* ShareX support - meaning PA is now accepting dotNET apps
* Initial macOS support

That was definitely news to me.

Andrew Lee

#20 Post by Andrew Lee »

The MacOS support is based on Wine.

JohnTHaller

#21 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:16 pm So two interesting notes on the PA platform update, including two platforms that I thought we'd never see in this territory:

* ShareX support - meaning PA is now accepting dotNET apps
* Initial macOS support

That was definitely news to me.
We've been doing .NET apps for a bit. We have Eraser.net, KeePass Pro, paint.net, PNotes.NET, ShareX, and ScreenToGif so far. The apps tell the PA.c Platform what .NET versions they support and the Platform checks to see that they're installed. If they aren't it'll provide instructions on how to install them. It even checks local requirements for bundled .NET packages (like paint.net and ScreenToGif). And the Platform displays available .NET frameworks within its Help About box for good measure.

The initial macOS support will be getting better over time. It's based on using Wine and I've been testing out various configurations of it for about a year. I only recently got access to an Apple Silicon Mac to test on (picked up a used pink MacBook Air) so I only felt comfortable doing an "initial" release now. As soon as Rare Ideas, LLC is accepted to the Apple Developer Program and I pay the $100/yr Apple tax, it'll work out of the box without needing the command line quarantine bit. And I'll be adding in support for portable use without a local copy and some additional install location support.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality