looking for file manager that can estimate data size before copying/moving

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
giulia

looking for file manager that can estimate data size before copying/moving

#1 Post by giulia »

Hi
I'm a Total Commander user , I bought it and I really like it does lack of an importat feature , contacted the developer ,but he doesn't want to add it
well I can select files ,folders and subfolders and during the copying if there is not enough space on destination I get the error no free space disk is full (maybe in the middle of the operation)
the point is that I can perform severral selections , i guess the program should calculated the ammount of data to copy (not easy to know because in case of several selections) and the free space (easy to know)

I'm thinking about Multi Commander and FreeCommander XE , do they calculate the ammount of data to copy before performing a copy or move operation?
i'm talking about xxxGB or xxTB data size

thanks
happy New Year

webfork

Re: looking for file manager that can estimate data size before copying/moving

#2 Post by webfork »

This probably won't work, but if you're just talking about files in a folder, CubicExplorer will show what you currently have selected right at the bottom of the screen. If you right-click and choose "Properties" it will give you a total. But that's not a live total and you'll need to select that over and over again as you approach the file totals you're looking for.

To be clear, that calculation only covers files and not folders.

A program that will calculate files AND folder sizes when you click on them is HDDB (pictured below):

giulia

#3 Post by giulia »

webfork wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:16 pm This probably won't work, but if you're just talking about files in a folder, CubicExplorer will show what you currently have selected right at the bottom of the screen. If you right-click and choose "Properties" it will give you a total. But that's not a live total and you'll need to select that over and over again as you approach the file totals you're looking for.

To be clear, that calculation only covers files and not folders.

A program that will calculate files AND folder sizes when you click on them is HDDB (pictured below):
hi @webfork
I guess i was not clear and my english is really bad
I guess Multi Commander should do the job ,the gui is terrible for me ,for example the button panel, i just need an intuitive file manager or maybe i'm a total commader user
can you try a short test just to understand what do i mean?
if you use Multi Commander ,on source make a selection of folders with subfolders like 1TB and try to copy to a partition/volume of 500GB
Multi Commander doe start to calculate the ammount of data of your selection (1TB) and won't start to copy becaue there is no enough space
total commander and other file managers , start immediatly to copy without be sure there is enough space on the destination
thanks

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

giulia wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:56 am... start immediatly to copy without be sure there is enough space on the destination
thanks
Oh I see now, yeah I don't know of a tool that can do that. Cool idea.