Keeping UniExtract up to date

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
smallhagrid

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#151 Post by smallhagrid »

Sorry to say...:
cameosis wrote:
smallhagrid wrote:Here is the very last version of that one posted in that thread:
http://www.filedropper.com/uniextract17
the link is dead, could you reup? thanks much in advance!
That is not my own link and I am not a member of the forum it was posted on either.
Perhaps you might wish to join there and post your request via the link above ??

Best Wishes.

billon

#152 Post by billon »

TrID updated to v2.20
http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html

Lupo73

#153 Post by Lupo73 »

I like the idea to keep an updated package of Universal Extractor, so I made an update of my release:
http://www.lupopensuite.com/db/universalextractor.htm

Code: Select all

1.6.1 Unofficial Revision 8 (19-04-2015):

- Updated 7-Zip to 9.38 beta
- Updated InnoUnp to 0.41
- Updated InstallExplorer to 0.9.2
- Updated TrID to 2.20
- Updated TrIDDefs to 5837 file types
- Updated UnRAR to 5.21
Now my doubt is: there are several versions/forks of this software, which version I may use and keep updated? Can you help me with this decision?

Currently I'm updating this official and out-dated release:
http://legroom.net/software/uniextract

I'm consider to move to this one:
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171930- ... rsion-165/

But there is also the gora mod:
http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/9785 ... -gora-mod/

Differences? Opinions?

ps: let me know if some components I updated do not work or if I forgot to update something, thanks!

joby_toss

#154 Post by joby_toss »

I'd like to see you go on using the official version, but if you decide to switch, just don't use the version from gora (nothing against the guy, just don't like his license braking... although it seems to be just a defense mechanism).

Lupo73

#155 Post by Lupo73 »

joby_toss wrote:I'd like to see you go on using the official version, but if you decide to switch, just don't use the version from gora (nothing against the guy, just don't like his license braking... although it seems to be just a defense mechanism).
Ok, so what about the other unofficial version 1.6.5? It seems to be a good minor improvement of the original one, with some new converters too.

guinness

#156 Post by guinness »

I agree with joby_toss.

joby_toss

#157 Post by joby_toss »

Lupo73 wrote:Ok, so what about the other unofficial version 1.6.5? It seems to be a good minor improvement of the original one, with some new converters too.
I see no problem here if the source code is available.

Midas

#158 Post by Midas »

My vote is for forking Gora's...

Userfriendly

#159 Post by Userfriendly »

Gora seemed to put the most effort to update and tweak UniExtract so naturally I would want his fork to be used as a base. Unfortunately, there's no source code for it.

The next best thing is SevenOptimus fork from the msfn forum I suppose. Do use that if it has some good useful tweaks to it.

Otherwise, the original source should be used if you got your own ideas on how to improve it.

smallhagrid

#160 Post by smallhagrid »

To me the choice of version seems obvious from a few simple facts easily observed;
1. Gora's version sets off NOD32 without fail - FP or not;
2. SevenOptimus made his in such a way as to not set off any AV warning at all;
3. SevenOptimus made other small improvements/additions.

Personally speaking:
SevenOptimus used to post at another board I visit regularly and was always genuinely friendly & helpful, whereas Gora (also a member & poster there) was outright nasty when asked about UE.

I presently use the SevenOptimus version and prefer it.

Thanks for keeping this topic alive and Best Wishes.

KJD

#161 Post by KJD »

Lupo

There were several "forks" of Nitro322 (Jared) / Amritius's Universal Extractor
note that Gora was very helpful much of the time towards Jared's final 1.6.1 release

1.6.5 aka 1.7 by Amrit / SevenOptimus was modified in the spirit of the one on legroom ("Open" au3 source)

Gora (& Ricktendo continued up to 1.7.9.95Y) and LonerD (up to DreamLair 2.1.1)
a.f.a.i.k. they seemed to enter a clone war (? why Gora withdrew further changes) both did not generally make their code changes openly obvious, however their "bin" changes were normally visible to the public.

Although the SevenOptimus code is NOT currently available on his site, I would suggest downloading his last public domain version from http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app ... h_id=38515 and add the latest updates to that.
Though you may wish to note that Amrit suggested he intended releasing a version 1.8.

Beware the number of requests for correction and expansion (especially InstallShield variants) which could involve more time than the other dev's above mentioned seem to now have time for ?

Best Wishes

Lupo73

#162 Post by Lupo73 »

I agree to limit the choice to the open source releases.
I'd like to try the last version of SevenOptimus, has someone a copy of it? KJD, I'm not able to access to your link (it is for registered users only). :)
Maybe could someone also contact him to know about the next release under development?

I am Baas

#163 Post by I am Baas »

Midas

#164 Post by Midas »

KJD wrote:Gora (& Ricktendo continued up to 1.7.9.95Y) and LonerD (up to DreamLair 2.1.1)
a.f.a.i.k. they seemed to enter a clone war (? why Gora withdrew further changes) both did not generally make their code changes openly obvious, however their "bin" changes were normally visible to the public.
  • Please excuse the layman's question, but since they're made with AHK, aren't those easy to reverse/decompile? Just for the sake of auditing code changes...

guinness

#165 Post by guinness »

AHK != AutoIt. AutoIt is not easy to decompile these days and it's something I wouldn't advocate either. It's just purely unethical, regardless of whether the developer is breaking the agreement of GPLv3 or not.