Keeping UniExtract up to date

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
KJD

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#166 Post by KJD »

Midas

Reversing others works is a plagerism topic that we all like to avoid (thus the main issues between Gora and others leading to him to use obscuration) it is much simpler to fork forwards from last PD version with a public "open" discussion on prefered "enhancements" especially as some of those by others were contentious.

As an example the core dependance on Marc0's TrID has caused many problems since he is not prepared to change his defs to suit versioning (last time I asked). It is easy enough to mod TrIDDefs.TRD hence the variations in behaviour but everone has their own idea as to what should be included/excluded.

Lupo I will try to PM you with SevenOptimus code/contact

Userfriendly

#167 Post by Userfriendly »

I uploaded Amritius/SevenOptimus(MSFN) Universal Extractor v1.7 Installer with AutoIt Source.
http://www23.zippyshare.com/v/hCN7ss6q/file.html

Download links on his website seems to be dead so luckily I had a copy archived.

KJD

#168 Post by KJD »

Just to confirm that Userfriendly uploaded
UniExtract17.EXE version 2014-07-09 07:58:13 by Jared Breland and Amritius (SevenOptimus)
Check MD5 = d50a3d9ca75470edf066cdc27cbaccfe
Ignore Virus Total Detection ratio: of 2 / 57 =Reputation.1 & PWStealer.1!Generic (usually Aspack v2.12)

This issue of UE always triggering AV software could be avoided by allowing "optional" component downloads for items such as Aspack ONLY IF UE thinks its required

smallhagrid

#169 Post by smallhagrid »

Just for the sake of clarity...:
KJD wrote:Just to confirm that Userfriendly uploaded
UniExtract17.EXE version 2014-07-09 07:58:13 by Jared Breland and Amritius (SevenOptimus)
Check MD5 = d50a3d9ca75470edf066cdc27cbaccfe
Ignore Virus Total Detection ratio: of 2 / 57 =Reputation.1 & PWStealer.1!Generic (usually Aspack v2.12)

This issue of UE always triggering AV software could be avoided by allowing "optional" component downloads for items such as Aspack ONLY IF UE thinks its required
I referred to using Gora's version of UE - each time I've opened any version of it the AV was set off.
Could just be because it uses Autoit - but because of Gora's nastiness I cannot bring myself to trust that it is merely a FP each and every time it opens.

KJD

#170 Post by KJD »

smallhagrid

I am not associated with Gora (I'm just 50 shades of a lurker)

I too have been "uncomfortable" about some versions of UE purporting to be legit as Gora himself (one of the more prolific) early UE developer warns "there are many versions" out there

his own Universal_Extractor_1.7.9.95_sl2p_140108_14-34.7z 2014-07-27 15:17:51 UTC ( 9 months ago ) scores an excelent 0/56 on virus total but then he is an author of 7z :-)

I agree Gora perhaps should not have encrypted his own branch especially as it often triggers AV FP's but that was his perogative, and I (we?) may have done similar under his circumstances.

In summary I agree the code should be OPEN source as intended by Jared however Gora helped develop 7zip and UE so his intentions seem reasonable

webfork

#171 Post by webfork »

KJD wrote:... but then he is an author of 7z :-)
Pretty sure that's someone else:
  1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Pavl ... grammer%29
  2. The 7-zip website only references a guy named "gora" as someone who created a TotalCommander button
  3. 7-zip is open source
KJD wrote:I agree the code should be OPEN source as intended by Jared
In taking the code in a closed direction, Gora is in violation of this license against the wishes of the authors who chose a GPL license. I brought this up with him and he basically said Russian law doesn't care about that sort of thing.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (Edited the "someone else" link)

KJD

#172 Post by KJD »

Ok webfork thanks for the reminder
Were getting off "Update" topic so just to clarify my statement
I know Igor is 7zip prime author but understand that other team members contribute i.e. 1.2 beta (build 699) June 28, 2007 + "Copy" method for uncompressed files (gora:forum.oszone.net) and + Batch mode for automated installations ('-aiX' switch) (gora:forum.oszone.net) + 'SetEnvironment' parameter for the config file (gora:forum.oszone.net)

I do not "defend" Gora's action just observe and understand

I repeat keep UE "open"
there are other UPDATE issues about how many "grey" components should be included
based on TrID is too "White" and gets it wrong whereas Peid is very Dark Grey if used to crack commercial protection

Midas

#173 Post by Midas »

Regarding the lawfulness of reverse engineering GPL issued source code, on a quick search I could only find explanations for the LGPL, but considering that it is a "Lesser" (i.e., more limited) GPL license, I think my question still holds water -- having said that, IANAL.

SYSTEM

#174 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote:Regarding the lawfulness of reverse engineering GPL issued source code, on a quick search I could only find explanations for the LGPL, but considering that it is a "Lesser" (i.e., more limited) GPL license, I think my question still holds water -- having said that, IANAL.
The thing is, the source code Gora wrote for his modified version of the Universal Extractor is not GPL issued. (Yes, it's illegal for him to do that.) As a result, his code can't be legally reverse engineered or used in an open source project.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

nickoftime

#175 Post by nickoftime »

Thanks to Lupo for updating his version to R8. This version seems to work well with everything that I tried to unpack.

I'm not sure what the right answer will be, but I do not feel right about Gora's version. For the novice, Lupo's version seems to be the best offered here.

Cheers!

webfork

#176 Post by webfork »

KJD wrote:I do not "defend" Gora's action just observe and understand
Maybe he did assist with 7-zip in the background and I'm not trying to hammer an already clear point, I'm saying that -- whatever he's contributed or however great his version of Uniextract -- it's still problematic and I think there are good reasons to avoid it.
SYSTEM wrote:his code can't be legally reverse engineered or used in an open source project.
An important additional point.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (better wording)

billon

#177 Post by billon »

uwotm8

#178 Post by uwotm8 »

Can anyone point me to a up to date version of UniExtract? I'm quite confused from the multiple versions available and can't find one that's not abandoned by it's author.

webfork

#179 Post by webfork »

uwotm8 wrote:Can anyone point me to a up to date version of UniExtract? I'm quite confused from the multiple versions available and can't find one that's not abandoned by it's author.
That's kind of the point of this thread: there isn't one. Lupo's version is probably the best we can do right now.

Checker

#180 Post by Checker »

InnoUnp V0.42 is available :!:
- Added support for IS 1.3.21 and 1.3.25.
- Experimental support for some custom IS versions.
- Fixed encoding of several entries in reconstructed script.