My top 10

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
TP109

Re: My top 10

#46 Post by TP109 »

1. Palemoon - Moved from Opera. May go with FF later.
2. 1by1 Player - Small footprint. Great for listening to audio in multiple folders. Daily use.
3. Executor - A fast and feature-rich text-based launcher.
4. Akelpad - Small and fast launching editor with lots of options.
5. Open++ - Use this constantly. A must have.
6. PDF-XChange Viewer -I use this to markup pdfs.
7. Q-dir - I always start with this FM for simple tasks.
8. Portable Start Menu - My favorite program launcher for portable apps.
9. WSCC - The fast and easy way to update Sysinternals and Nirsoft Utilities suites.
10. Free Download Manager - Great configurable DM.

freakazoid

#47 Post by freakazoid »

freakazoid wrote: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:21 am 1. Firefox - My browser history in the past 5 years: Moved from Opera 12 to Pale Moon to Firefox.
2. XMPlay - Still the best bit-for-bit audio player on the planet.
3. Executor - The best keyword-based launcher. Also handles hotkey launching.
4. AkelPad - Lightweight and extremely customizable text editor.
5. XYPlorer - Windows Explorer alternative. Changed from CubicExplorer. CubicExplorer starts up very slow for me; XYPlorer starts up in a flash.
6. SearchMyFiles - I need to search inside text files a lot and SearchMyFiles does a great job of this.
7. f.lux - Changes the monitor color to blend in to current lighting conditions of the room. Indispensible for those with sensitive eyes and those that have to stare at the monitor all the time. I use the yaP version.
8. Thunderbird - Still the best portable email client.
9. Bandizip - If I need to unzip something, this is a great and fast archive app that does the job well. Great command-line support.
10. Open++ - I use the right-click context menu a lot. This app allows me to customize various context menu items.

Some others that I use quite a bit - PDF X-Change Viewer, Sizer, Shutter Lite, Rainmeter, Peerblock, foobar2000, Miranda NG, XBMC, AutoHideDesktopIcons

My previous top 10 - http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 566#p16566. The apps that are still in my top 10 - Executor, XMPlay, AkelPad
Six year update! The only changes in my top 10 is I've switched out f.lux for the last freeware version of SunsetScreen. Thinking of switching out Bandizip for 7-zip or WinRAR.

Other than that, I also use both 1by1 and AIMP as audio players depending on what mood I'm in. I also supplement Firefox with chrlauncher when I need to use Chromium.

Some new additions to my "Apps I use quite often" list include FalconX, Filezilla, GridMove, HDDB, Mem Reduct. Apps that I've removed from this list include Peerblock, Miranda NG, Sizer, Shutter Lite, Kodi (formerly XBMC).
is it stealth? ;)

h3kt0r

#48 Post by h3kt0r »

1. xmPlay (+MilkMod +izotope Ozone DSP)
2. Imagine
3. K-Meleon
4. dnscrypt-proxy
5. MetaPad
6. YadaByte Passwords
7. Executor
8. SpeedCommander (Which can be made portable when registered)
9. MPC-BE Portable
10. BleachBit Portable

+ Sumatra PDF and Process Explorer

webfork

#49 Post by webfork »

I'm very happy to see a resurgence of this thread. I tried to come up with a list ahead of looking at my old entry, but I have to say that reliability is hugely important for me.
  1. LibreOffice - I've crossed a threshold with this program where I don't think I could live without it. While every new version of Word just keeps breaking my documents on some level at least once a week, LibreOffice keeps running smoothly.
  2. CubicExplorer - the easy-to-use, nested Favorites menu system has made my very messy job manageable. I owe the developer a chunk of my monthly salary.
  3. Firefox - (see my signature)
  4. Everything - I know we have similar tools, but I've yet to replace this one.
  5. DocFetcher - Makes local system research a breeze, wish more programs used the Lucene search tools under the hood
  6. PDFXChange - it's just a fast and simple PDF viewer, but the included search tools are extremely valuable
  7. TestDisk - saved my tail on a drive restore where a slow, commercial tool failed
  8. Sharex - screenshot program that just keeps getting better with new features and tools
  9. Notepad++ - It's missing some of the functionality of other open editors, but it's amazingly stable
  10. FileOptimizer - has been crushing files that I thought couldn't get smaller for 8 years now, and keeps finding new ways to squeeze
---

Honorable mentions: Photodemon - just fun to play with and fast. SeaMonkey - I'm still finding uses for this very old HTML WYSIWYG. MouseRecorder - for automation, it's dumb, it's buggy, and has some odd behavior, but it also gets the job done reliably.

Favorites back in 2014: Firefox, Everything and DocFetcher, CubicExplorer, Notepad++, VLC, streamWriter, Greenshot - a very recent change from PicPick, this does everything I need it to do, very simple and easy, LibreOffice (specifically Writer), 7-zip, Pstart

Favorites in 2009: Firefox, Rainlendar, Truecrypt, Photofiltre, SMPlayer, Dsynchronize, Kompozer, StartupLite and Startup Control Panel, 7-zip, and Renamer

SYSTEM

#50 Post by SYSTEM »

Based on how heavily I use these programs:
  1. Vivaldi
  2. Visual Studio Code
  3. Discord Portable
  4. PStart
  5. SMPlayer
  6. Console Calculator
  7. X-LibreOffice
  8. GIMP Portable
  9. SmartSystemMenu
  10. Universal Extractor 2
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

__philippe

Re: My top 10 (+Bonus)

#51 Post by __philippe »

Code: Select all

Everything	Speedy Search tool epitome - Forget about pitiful Win built-in search
Imagine		Image viewer + Exif/IPTC metadata disclosure
IrfanView	Amazingly comprehensive image editor and media viewer
FSCapture	Screen capture champ - powerful and intuitive
Qjot		Simple, quick, complete Unicode RTF text editor
BinText		Analyze any binary file thoroughly
MobileMeter	CPU(s) Clock speed + Temp at a glance
CSVFileView	Nirsoft unsurpassed CSV manipulation utility  
PEAnatomist	Lean alternative to PEstudio
IP2		Fast and compact personal WAN IP address checker 
		Will settle the existential question "To Be or Not to Be...connected ?"
Bonus:
CountryTraceroute Nirsoft gift to obsessive sleuths compulsively tracking IP addresses hops (+ASNs !) ...;-) 
Resources:

Everything
Imagine
IrfanView
FastStone Capture
Qjot
BinText
MobileMeter
CSVfileView
PEanatomist
IP2
CountryTraceroute

bitcoin

#52 Post by bitcoin »

the most useful program to me is VT Hash Check (not portable), which allows to right click on any file and get the Virus Total results immediately or easily upload the file if the hash isnt there yet

others I appreciate include:

3DYD YouTube downloader
Cathy
Pazera Free Audio Extractor
MiniTool Partition Wizard (not portable but it is free + very useful)
Windows Firewall Control - now owned by Malwarebytes (not portable)
gPodder
MicroBin
Launchy
AdvOR
Bulk Rename Utility
Arcade Classic Arcade Pack
Last edited by bitcoin on Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

__philippe

Re: My top 10 (Baker's Dozen)

#53 Post by __philippe »

Doh ! Forgot to include a venerable yet must-have entry:

Angry IP Scanner 2.21 Fastest ever live IP addresses range checker
Insist on v2.21 version (link date 07-APR-2004), accept NO substitute !

AND last but not least

MemReduct Life-saver memory manager for old machines maxing at 4GB

Let's make that a Baker's Dozen, right ? :D

bitcoin

Re: My top 10 (Baker's Dozen)

#54 Post by bitcoin »

__philippe wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:03 pm AND last but not least

MemReduct Life-saver memory manager for old machines maxing at 4GB

Let's make that a Baker's Dozen, right ? :D
on my 4 GB laptops i get some freezes with this, works much better on 8 GB laptop because the memory isnt constantly hitting 80-90% usage

Llewelyn

#55 Post by Llewelyn »