Games?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
manredplanet

Games?

#1 Post by manredplanet »

Hi, I'm new to this forum and the reason I really joined was to ask what PC games are portable. I know of Quake 2 & 3 and Doom, but I want to know if there are other good PC games that I could run on a thumb drive. (I also know about the emulators as well and the free games such as Cube, Tremulous, WOW, and Starsiege because I have checked out the list at wikipedia.)

M@tty

#2 Post by M@tty »

Commerical games I know of that are portable, but not necessarily stealth:
  • Dawn of War - Dark Crusade
  • Grand Theft Auto 2
  • Soldier of Fortune 2
  • Unreal Tournament

manredplanet

#3 Post by manredplanet »

Thanks M@tty, I'll give them a try and sorry to ask this, but what do you mean by stealth?

M@tty

#4 Post by M@tty »

That although the application files may be portable, the settings may be stored on the host computer.

Darkbee

#5 Post by Darkbee »

An application that is stealthy won't leave behind any trace on the host machine that it was ever run, which includes registry keys and/or temporary files. However, some portable applications may leave behind traces like those mentioned. Most people aren't concerned with stealth particularly if the computers you commonly use are not public computers. Stealth might be more of an issue if you use public computers such as those in libraries or Internet cafes.

Rykenden

#6 Post by Rykenden »

FlightGear v0.9.10

It's an open source flight simulator.

You'll have to install (to get the time_zone files), then copy to usb stick, then uninstall. Then make a batch file to run it.

Launching from the command line documentation.

From my trials and errors... my batch file looks like this:

Code: Select all

SET APPDATA=%~dp0
SET FG_HOME=%~dp0
SET FG_ROOT=%~dp0data
SET FG_SCENERY=%~dp0data\Scenery;%~dp0data\WorldScenery;
%~dp0bin\win32\fgfs.exe