Clicking a link in an e-mail: show page in standard browser?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
uwotm8

Clicking a link in an e-mail: show page in standard browser?

#1 Post by uwotm8 »

When I click a link in an e-mail a Firefox opens the page the link leads to. I want another / portable Firefox, my standard browser, to open the page that link leads to. How could I do this?

webfork

Re: Clicking a link in an e-mail: show page in standard browser?

#2 Post by webfork »

Good question. I did some digging through PortableApps.com forums and couldn't find a clear answer. You might try this: https://portableapps.com/node/17476#comment-143583

Alternatively there is a browser built into Thunderbird so ... https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... derbrowse/

Related: https://portableapps.com/node/2576

bitcoin

#3 Post by bitcoin »

prob has to do with default browser

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

bitcoin wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:21 pm prob has to do with default browser
Yes but I can't find a way to do this portably. You can set your default browser to Portable Firefox (as I have) without too much trouble. But you have to do that on every system you use.

bitcoin

#5 Post by bitcoin »

webfork wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 am
Yes but I can't find a way to do this portably. You can set your default browser to Portable Firefox (as I have) without too much trouble. But you have to do that on every system you use.
was going to mention that i have several of each firefox portable, pale moon, waterfox etc and set one of the firefox portable as default but often the wrong firefox portable is opened for some reason

thought it might have something to do with temp files or appdata that wasn't cleared as not all of them are PAF versions

JohnTHaller

#6 Post by JohnTHaller »

bitcoin wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:51 pm
webfork wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:11 am
was going to mention that i have several of each firefox portable, pale moon, waterfox etc and set one of the firefox portable as default but often the wrong firefox portable is opened for some reason

thought it might have something to do with temp files or appdata that wasn't cleared as not all of them are PAF versions
If firefox.exe is already running, a newly started firefox.exe passed a URL will hand off to the already running one. If you set things to allow multiple instances of firefox, say for multiple versions or variants, URL passing won't work right.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality