Slow down writing to disk [resolved]

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Stoik

Re: Slow down writing to disk [resolved]

#16 Post by Stoik »

System wrote :
BSODs with varying messages are often a sign of hardware issues.
Hardware again !
All points to replacing my NTFS drive with new SDD drive (and Windows license won't be a problem).

And my very last question (to System or anyone else):
is there a software tool out there that can diagnose and confirm the hardware problem that we are suspecting here ?
I have several Disk Check programs (e.g. Puran Disk Check) that all scan my C drive as "healthy" (no errors).
Also, drive health programs (e.g. Hard Disk Sentinel) do not seem to show any problems.

Thank You all for your excellent thoughts.
I will change the title of this post now to [resolved], since the topic received a more than satisfactory answer.

bitcoin

Re: Slow down writing to disk

#17 Post by bitcoin »

Stoik wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:00 am

As a long-term solution, I will look to replace the C drive (is NTFS) in my laptop with an SSD drive. I just wonder how Microsoft licenses that Windows 8 that I have. It was paid for when I purchased my laptop as part of the total price. But I wonder if it is licensed "per user" (meaning, no extra fee for the new SSD drive), or "per hard drive" - in which case I would have to pay again to have the Windows 8 registered. Besides, I do not have a backup Windows DVD at all (they stopped issuing them with new laptops some years ago), I gues I would have to use some OS imaging/backup program and transfer that image to the new SSD drive, but then the "register Windows" popup may occur on first launch. Do You guys know the status of such Windows licensing from personal experience when installing new C hard drives ?
worst case there are Win7 activation keys on ebay for about $4 each now, Win10 about $6. I saw only a few listings for Win8 and they were a little higher. They send you a link to download the Windows ISO file. like System said though, the license should be tied to the motherboard

i've replaced a few HDD with SSD and had to shrink the OS partition to fit the smaller SSD and sometimes there are system files that cant be moved and that is where a free trial of Raxco solved the problem

bitcoin

#18 Post by bitcoin »

Stoik wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:44 am
System wrote :
BSODs with varying messages are often a sign of hardware issues.
Hardware again !
All points to replacing my NTFS drive with new SDD drive (and Windows license won't be a problem).

And my very last question (to System or anyone else):
is there a software tool out there that can diagnose and confirm the hardware problem that we are suspecting here ?
I have several Disk Check programs (e.g. Puran Disk Check) that all scan my C drive as "healthy" (no errors).
Also, drive health programs (e.g. Hard Disk Sentinel) do not seem to show any problems.

Thank You all for your excellent thoughts.
I will change the title of this post now to [resolved], since the topic received a more than satisfactory answer.
are you watching your CPU usage?

try System Explorer or Process Explorer to see if there are some programs you have running in the background that are tying up resources

Stoik

#19 Post by Stoik »

Bitcoin wrote :
Are you watching your CPU usage ?
Try System Explorer or Process Explorer to see if there are some programs you have running in the background that are tying up resources.
Oh, that is the very first thing I checked. What stuck me as odd is that, in spite the very low CPU and RAM usage, the system was almost frozen. That led me to conclude that it was the intense reading and writing - because that is what I was doing at the time (moving non-urgent files from the C drive to an external backup drive).