So, MojoPac is now offering a free version

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
grannyGeek

So, MojoPac is now offering a free version

#1 Post by grannyGeek »

Has anyone here tried it?

I can't activate it, because I don't have internet connection at home, and you need admin rights to activate and run the software. Figure the odds on my IT manager at work or public library giving me admin rights so I can run Mojo! yuk yuk yuk.

The MojoPac home page and tutorials pretty much gloss over this fact, and wax enthusiastic about how you can carry your entire pc settings with you in Mojo's virtual environment.

It sounds like a great option, if you happen to have admin rights everywhere you go.

(yup, I'm a little torqued about this, I got my hopes up, and got them dashed in a big fat SPLOOOJ!)

Local

#2 Post by Local »

Reading your question inspired me to try out this software, grrr.

Personally I'm going to give it a miss.
It likes to phone home for updates whenever you start up and there is no way to switch the behaviour off, you have to register with their forums to even use the free version and it is soooooo slow.

I've run photoshopCS from my flash drive so I'm pretty sure it should be fast enough but this drained all of my cpu and took about 6 minutes to get up my taskman to kill the &*^*&er

I'm not too sure about how portable it is either, when you first run it on a pc it says the obligatory "First time run...may take a while"
I can only assume that those settings will be stored on the host PC

Oh yeah, and what you said about the admin rights =)

lococobra

#3 Post by lococobra »

Yeah, I tried it a while ago...

It's a pretty terrible piece of software IMO. Sorry if that offends someone here, just seems very poorly put together.

portackager

#4 Post by portackager »

I tried it, and didnt like it. The idea is good but it's implemented pretty poorly.

grannyGeek

#5 Post by grannyGeek »

Thanks guys, your responses make me feel better, in a twisted sort of way --- it's good to know that if I'm missing out, at least I'm missing out on something not worth having in the first place.

:D