Firefox - web browser

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Checker

#16 Post by Checker »

freakazoid

Re: Firefox slow? Maybe when not compared to IE 8.

#17 Post by freakazoid »

castman wrote:Well, IE 8 got to be really annoying. The first window from IE represents two instances and each new tab/window represents a new instance. It is highly memory consuming and there is no way, I know to turn it off for tabs.
This is mostly done for crash recovery purposes though.

One process is for the window frame, address bar, toolbar, and tab bar, and a second process is for the tab itself.

Subsequent tabs may also open in new processes. Running a tab in its own process allows that tab to crash (for any reason) without disrupting any other tab.
is it stealth? ;)

Checker

#18 Post by Checker »

Napiophelios wrote:... I still prefer FFoxV2 or the new Opera 10 Turbo ...
Me too :!:

webfork

Re: Official Firefox Portable?

#19 Post by webfork »

Very happy to see the per-window Private browsing mode. Much better. http://www.ghacks.net/2013/04/02/firefo ... at-is-new/

This was something I really liked about Opera and, to a lesser extent Maxthon. I understand why they used the previous config, but I think this is better.

freakazoid

#20 Post by freakazoid »

Firefox needs per-tab Private Browsing like Opera.

There's a Firefox addon called Multifox that allows you to open different tabs while logged in with different accounts. For example, let's say I wanted to login as username1 on gmail.com on one tab, while logging in as username2 on gmail.com on another tab. With Multifox, you can do this.

It's not per-tab Private Browsing, but is kind of related so I thought I'd post about it!
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:It's not per-tab Private Browsing, but is kind of related so I thought I'd post about it!
I'd seen that before and I thought it was a tab management program and not something for managing identities. Anyway, the number in the address bar that lets you add or connect identities thing is revolutionary. I can't think of a better way to do that. Wow.

I've been testing this for about a week now, and it gives me an error that it might not keep my profile isolated from other profiles, which is bizarre. Doesn't explain why or what's not isolated. Will try to look into that...

Either way, thanks for suggesting. Big help.

freakazoid

#22 Post by freakazoid »

freakazoid wrote:Firefox needs per-tab Private Browsing like Opera.
Just to update on this, there's a new addon called Private Tab that finally brings private tab functionality to Firefox :
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ivate-tab/

Works on FF20 and up.

This and the Self-Destructing Cookies addon are two of the most important Firefox addons that have been released in the past decade.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#23 Post by webfork »

http://www.addictivetips.com/web/log-in ... -multifox/

Another article on Multifox. This is a fantastic plugin that has made my life so much easier.

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/06/21/opera- ... s-support/

I've been using the Firefox PDF viewer a LOT and, while it's behind other PDF viewers with zooming, rendering, and other bits, it's also *crazy* fast and only going to get better with updates. I use it in concert with Adobe's Acrobat viewer, but sometimes I need to switch back and forth so I use this dead-simple plugin: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rswitcher/

Other notes:

* Wish they'd add DjVu support, being that it's Firefox who's always advocating open tools and protocols
* Wonder what would have happened if they'd just integrated the already very fast and open Sumatra, but oh well

SYSTEM

#25 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: I've been using the Firefox PDF viewer a LOT and, while it's behind other PDF viewers with zooming, rendering, and other bits, it's also *crazy* fast and only going to get better with updates.
Crazy fast? Pdf.js is written in JavaScript and is therefore much slower than fast native code readers such as Sumatra PDF. I have seen PDFs that pdf.js renders extremely slow.
webfork wrote: Wonder what would have happened if they'd just integrated the already very fast and open Sumatra, but oh well
Sumatra PDF is Windows-only. Mozilla needs to support Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Android and Firefox OS. In addition, I believe they wanted to show JavaScript is fast enough for PDF readers.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

abacusFanboi

#26 Post by abacusFanboi »

webfork wrote: Crazy fast? Pdf.js is written in JavaScript and is therefore much slower than fast native code readers such as Sumatra PDF. I have seen PDFs that pdf.js renders extremely slow.
i usually download pdfs. but I've seen a few seconds delay for pdf.js. I recall thinking they were large pdfs, because mostly large color photos, so the download time caused the delay. xp 1.5gb or vista 4gb

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: posts about the Light browser have been given their own thread.]

webfork

#28 Post by webfork »

SYSTEM wrote:Crazy fast? Pdf.js is written in JavaScript and is therefore much slower than fast native code readers such as Sumatra PDF. I have seen PDFs that pdf.js renders extremely slow.
Really? It *seemed* to work very well but I must admit not having done any tests. I might see if I can get Sumatra plugged in and make it work with that PDF switcher.

Thanks.

Midas

Re: Airfox

#29 Post by Midas »

Yet another Firefox sprout: Airfox is a DotNET v2.0 implementation of the Gecko engine, meant for enhanced lightweightness (untested!). I'm assuming that apart form the DotNET dependency, portability will be pretty much similar to other *fox variations...

http://airfox.sourceforge.net/why-airfox/ wrote:Airfox is the only browser that has a modern and useful environment, supports all of the famous plugins (like Flash and Java), and is very fast, free and consistent.

Download latest Airfox release (currently v1.8') from http://airfox.sourceforge.net/download/.

webfork

#30 Post by webfork »

Update about the latest version:

They FINALLY updated the Options menu to work inside the browser -- similar to the plugins/add-ons menu rather than as a separate window, which I think works better.

Previously and current.

... I still wish they'd integrate the Add-Ons menu to keep it all in one place. Also they need to switch the "Options - Applications" icon and the "Apps" that point to Firefox Marketplace.  Very confusing.