Tiny browser just for downloading?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
ArthBlat

Tiny browser just for downloading?

#1 Post by ArthBlat »

Most popular browsers have a plug-in or add-on for a download manager. It may appear in the Context
Menu under "Download With" or something similar. It works fine if you're selecting a direct download
link. Millions of cloud storage sites for files and videos use redirects, so your "plugged in" manager
can't be use. That simple download applet (Save As) is your only option.

I want a portable (or tiny) browser that I'll use just for downloading from cloud storage sites. The
fewer options or features it has the better. I don't want a browser for surfing the web, just a fully
integrated manager that will pause or resume broken downloads.

I tried the latest version of SlimBrowser which has an integrated download manager. It's just a shell
for IE, and my version of IE works very poorly.

In effect, I want a basic download manager that also functions as a simple browser.

webfork

Re: Tiny browser just for downloading?

#2 Post by webfork »

I want a portable (or tiny) browser that I'll use just for downloading from cloud storage sites.
It's a great idea and I certainly think it could be done but I'm continuously running into new "are you human" / capcha systems that are only built for the 3 major browsers (IE/FFox/Chrome) and don't work at all on anything else. But I can imagine a stripped-down browser that might do the job.

DustinDeTorres

#3 Post by DustinDeTorres »

I never use any download manager. Why do you think you must have one? Both Google chrome and Firefox have default download manager.

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

While I doubt any of them will really work for you (mainly for the reasons articulated by webfork above), you might want to take a couple of our database entries for a whirl -- namely Green Browser, Off By One, and the console based Lynx... :?