Portable soultion to making symbolic links simpler?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Special

Portable soultion to making symbolic links simpler?

#1 Post by Special »

I know how to make them with cmd.exe, but I was wondering if there is a less confusing way of making and managing them then that? Something with a interface.

Link Shell Extension (LSE) comes up lots, but that is not portable as far as I know, I don't want it integrating with my system (right click context menu is messy enough as is) and this would just add one more thing too it.

Midas

Re: Portable soultion to making symbolic links simpler?

#2 Post by Midas »

For what is worth, I hazily recall the existence of some CLI utility from XP times -- I'll come back here if I find any further info... :?

Special

#3 Post by Special »

I haven't tested it yet, but Googling brought me to Steam Mover, it's used as a way to move Steam games from one hard drive to another because SSD space is so precious still, it then makes j links to said locations to make Steam think they are where they are. Because I have not tested it yet I don't know if this can be used as a general solution to what I'm looking for, from the screenshot alone it looks exactly what I want. Also don't know if it is portable.

Fake edit, guess it's not truly portable, from their website;
Installation
Its a Delphi Application, and no installer is required. Just unzip to wherever you want and run SteamMover.exe. If you get permission errors when moving folders you may need to right-click and "Run as Administrator".

Uninstall
Simply delete the SteamMover.exe, and if you really want you can remove the Registry keys from HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SteamMover.

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Honestly though, I'd take a simple registry key if everything else is just self contained to the executable folder.

tproli

#4 Post by tproli »

yaP can also create symlinks:
http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/#keyword_symlink

I use it for batch create symlinks, see my config:

Code: Select all

; configuration file for yaP v0.7 (http://rolandtoth.hu/yaP/)
; application name: 
; version: 
; website: 

[GENERAL]
application = *
!admin = 1

[BEFORE]
uservar = USERDIR_TITLE :: Select the root directory of your project:
uservar = USERDIR_DEFAULT :: D:\Projects
uservar = ProjectNodeModulesDir :: {USERDIR}
uservar = node_modules :: node_modules

uservar = NodeModulesDir :: d:\node\npm-repository\npm\node_modules

message = Selected directory:{LINEBREAK}{ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\{LINEBREAK}{LINEBREAK}Are you sure to continue? :: cancellable

symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\del\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\del\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-autoprefixer\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-autoprefixer\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-cache\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-cache\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-cssnano\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-cssnano\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-imagemin\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-imagemin\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-inline-source\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-inline-source\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-less\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-less\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-notify\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-notify\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-rename\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-rename\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-svgmin\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-svgmin\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-uglify\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-uglify\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-uncss\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-uncss\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-util\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-util\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-watch\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-watch\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\path\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\path\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\gulp-sass\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\gulp-sass\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\imagemin-pngquant\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\imagemin-pngquant\
symlink = {ProjectNodeModulesDir}\{node_modules}\run-sequence\ :: {NodeModulesDir}\run-sequence\

message = All symlinks done.

quit=1

Marc

#5 Post by Marc »

For "making" at least 7-Zip can create them ; right click within the 7-Zip explorer and select "Link..."

freakazoid

#6 Post by freakazoid »

XYplorer can do this.

Read my post about this here:
https://www.portablefreeware.com/forums ... 286#p70286

The symbolic links are not created with a relative filepath though, so if you change drives, you'll have to recreate those links unfortunately.
is it stealth? ;)