Make PDF Smaller - compression

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Make PDF Smaller - compression

#1 Post by webfork »

Just like it sounds, it compresses PDF files.

Steps: Install, copy, uninstall, delete junk left in Program Files (x86)

Results: In initial limited testing, I had some encouraging results as it appears to write to the local file settings.ini, writes to the local .\outp folder, and had some real space improvements for minor quality loss.

Unfortunately the program has a few issues:
  • It looks like it's just a front-end for Ghostscript and 7zip. If true, there's little difference between this program and FileOptimizer, which uses the same libraries. Also, there's no notice on the website that it uses these programs, unlike FileOptimizer. Finding a listing about them in the program takes several steps.
  • The program auto-checks for updates and then downloads Ghostscript without prompting the user. The file itself was fine ... but it bothered me that there weren't any prompts for this behavior, unlike for example UniExtract 2 with FFMPEG. This appears to get around the GPL requirement that distributions containing GPL code also host the code.
  • The program is NOT lossless (like for example FileOptimizer) unlike what's noted on the Aliensign software website. Here's a side-by-side of the before and after pages zoomed in (set to "high quality" compression): http://i.imgur.com/z0yzi5W.jpg (not just posting it inline as this image is huge). Again, while this is probably a very acceptable decrease in quality for most, it's still a quality decrease that would get much worse if compressed multiple times.

Sites:

I am Baas

Re: Make PDF Smaller - compression

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Webpage at http://www.aliensign.com/make-pdf-smaller.html

Tested v2.0.0.0 beta

Req.: updater.dll to run (auto checks for updates + downloads a bunch of files on first run; gs919w32.exe, gsdll32.dll)

Compression works but I will pass because of the "updater" feature.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Tested v2.0.0.0 beta
Cool, thanks for checking.

__philippe

#4 Post by __philippe »

For the odd, one-off PDF compression job, one might also consider Smallpdf.

Thanks to this free online tool, I recently managed to swiftly compress a 7.8MB file into a decently sized 4.9MB,
with the unexpected bonus of unlocking the pesky print/copy/annotation/highlighting restrictions from the original file...;-)

Didn't notice any apparent quality degradation in the resulting compressed PDF either.

As posted by Baas and Webfork before, this compression tool is part of a suite of free online PDF manipulation/conversion utilities.