How to promote / advocate your favorite program

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

How to promote / advocate your favorite program

#1 Post by webfork »

Love a program? Wanna do something nice for the developer but don't have cash to say thanks? Ever since I mentioned promotion as a way to pay for freeware, I've been collecting ways that can be done beyond PFW.

Suggestions welcome. How do you promote great freeware?

shnbwmn

Re: How to promote / advocate your favorite program

#2 Post by shnbwmn »

I usually go the review route, or counteracting bad reviews, but I also like to clean up the program's web presence where I can, eg, editing badly-worded/formatted entries on AlternativeTo, Wikipedia, here :twisted: , etc. Why should good programs get shoved aside because of outdated screenshots, bad grammar, descriptions that don't do the program justice, etc? I know it's kinda pedantic, but it's those small things that add to a program's credibility. Making the web useable is a practice and goal that, in a world dominated by cyberspace, should be of utmost importance (as the Bible says :wink: ).

Btw you left out FreewareFiles. Great freeware site, where reviews of the programs are prominent.

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

webfork wrote:How do you promote great freeware?
I'm constantly recommending portable free software to my friends, family and on every forum I activate.
Also, as I have a new rig now, I'm able to record some videos and upload them to some old and unused youtube channel. I'll start this weekend. Wish me luck (I'm not a professional, so be kind)! :)

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

I am keen on supporting good software, too.

One of the ways not mentioned already is for non-native English speakers to provide translations into their mother tongues -- I have done it several times, e.g., with NFOPad and Tag Scanner... 8)

Documenting technical workings is another way -- as in the case of AkelPad help, which I believe was supplied by an engaged user.

joby_toss

#5 Post by joby_toss »

Midas wrote:One of the ways not mentioned already is for non-native English speakers to provide translations into their mother tongues -- I have done it several times, e.g., with NFOPad and Tag Scanner...
I did that too, forgot about it... :)

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:Wish me luck (I'm not a professional, so be kind)!
Great idea. Good luck :)
shnbwmn wrote:Why should good programs get shoved aside because of outdated screenshots, bad grammar, descriptions that don't do the program justice, etc? I know it's kinda pedantic, but it's those small things that add to a program's credibility.
No, updating entries, fixing screeshots, and rewriting/adding to entries is that's ~30% of what I do here.
shnbwmn wrote:Btw you left out FreewareFiles
Got it, thanks.

I am Baas

#7 Post by I am Baas »

joby_toss wrote:Also, as I have a new rig now, I'm able to record some videos and upload them to some old and unused youtube channel. I'll start this weekend. Wish me luck (I'm not a professional, so be kind)! :)
That is a great idea, I am following you, start producing.
Capture.JPG

I am Baas

#8 Post by I am Baas »

Watching...
2016-05-10_164749.jpg

smaragdus

#9 Post by smaragdus »

Rated comments (1-5) can also be posted at Downloadcrew.
I used to recommend free programs to my friends but lately I do it on rare occasions since it seems that most people are obsessed with their smart phones and no longer care for PC programs.
I contribute to freeware mainly by sending bug reports, suggestions for enhancements and feature requests (most developers do respond). Sometimes I also translate freeware.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:I'm able to record some videos and upload them to some old and unused youtube channel.
Right now it's more of a podcast than a video series but it's still interesting. Thanks for the kind words about your PFW cohorts. :)