Screencapture usage tests

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
TP109

Re: Screencapture usage tests

#31 Post by TP109 »

Usage tests for updated screenshot apps (including some, but not all, photo viewers/editors with a screenshot feature). Updated or new apps have their names highlighted in yellow. Two apps, Imagine and iPhotoDraw, are new additions. Imagine has very basic functionality for taking screenshots, while iPhotoDraw appears to have enough features to make it useful as a screenshot tool.

Another column, "can save directly to clipboard?," was added to the spreadsheet, making it easier to evaluate and compare features for each app at a glance.
ss_spread.jpg
ss_chart.jpg

webfork

#32 Post by webfork »

Good lord. These keep getting better and better. You could create a website with just these posts and grab a lot of traffic.

Whatever, I'm glad to have you here.

EDIT:

Two other notes:
  • Since Window's default screencap tools are NOT adequate, an analysis of lightweight screencapture tools is of particular use. Having something that takes very little resources is very valuable.
  • Thanks for adding the scrolling screencap, save to clipboard, and editor columns. Those are instrumental in evaluating a program.
Some thoughts on the data
  • I was surprised that Greenshot (my screenshot program of choice at home) takes up so many resources
  • iPhotoDraw looks pretty great in this light
  • Kudos to the 10 year old FGWndGrab program
I also need to put together some info on Subisoft. That is small.

TP109

#33 Post by TP109 »

webfork wrote:You could create a website with just these posts and grab a lot of traffic.
Possibly. There are advantages and disadvantages to that. Anyway, it's for my benefit as well as anyone else who may be interested. Posting the information publicly forces me to be more objective than if I might otherwise be and to present the information in an organized and understandable manner.
webfork wrote:Those are instrumental in evaluating a program.
Things are refined as I go along. At first, it's often not apparent what may be relevant. Features do often add to the app's overall size, complexity and resource usage, but that's not always a clear case. MiniCap, for instance, has many of the features of full-featured SS apps such as Greenshot or PicPick with a very small footprint, but its GUI has limited functionality, and most of its features are only accessible from the command-line. However, it's a very capable SS program for those comfortable with the CLI and with scripting languages. IrfanView has a large installation size, mostly because of its add-ons, but it's extremely lightweight in terms of resource usage because its add-ons don't use resources until they are actually in use.
webfork wrote:I was surprised that Greenshot (my screenshot program of choice at home) takes up so many resources
Most of the full-featured SS programs are at the top of the usage range, but they have capabilities that the lighter weight apps don't have.
webfork wrote:iPhotoDraw looks pretty great in this light
It's an overlooked program, but appears to be capable as an editor/viewer and as a SS app. I didn't test it thoroughly though for its viewer/editor capabilities.

There a couple of minor errors on the spreadsheet and chart. I corrected them in the following post.
Last edited by TP109 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TP109

#34 Post by TP109 »

ss_spread_update.jpg
ss_chart_update.jpg