Text Editor Performance Tests

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Midas

Re: Text Editor Performance Tests

#136 Post by Midas »

Thank you for that clarification of your results -- that is some fine research you have done here, TP109. 8)

I can only wish your example will inspired others...

TP109

#137 Post by TP109 »

Midas wrote:Thank you for that clarification of your results -- that is some fine research you have done here, TP109. 8)

I can only wish your example will inspired others...

Got to give credit to Webfork for asking the right questions. I'm guilty of making wrong assumptions too. His questions got me looking in the right direction.

smaragdus

#138 Post by smaragdus »

@TP109
First, it is always interesting for me to have a look at your tests, thank you for all your efforts.
I have a question not related to the tests themselves but to your posts- don't you think it would be better in stead of splitting your posts because of the attachment limitation to use external services- for example Imgur or Postimage and embed your images- this way you may add as many images per post as you might like and a thus single post of yours would contain all the images you want to show us. One more thing- theoretically your second post might be split from the first one if someone responds to this thread between your first and second post.

TP109

#139 Post by TP109 »

smaragdus wrote:@TP109
First, it is always interesting for me to have a look at your tests, thank you for all your efforts.
I have a question not related to the tests themselves but to your posts- don't you think it would be better in stead of splitting your posts because of the attachment limitation to use external services- for example Imgur or Postimage and embed your images- this way you may add as many images per post as you might like and a thus single post of yours would contain all the images you want to show us. One more thing- theoretically your second post might be split from the first one if someone responds to this thread between your first and second post.
Thanks, will do.

TP109

#140 Post by TP109 »

Added Editpad Lite7 v7.5 to the stable list.

During the course of ongoing testing, I've noticed something - most editors tend to crash when multiple files from different directories are simultaneously open. For some it happens quickly, but for others it happens with use or over time. Although I haven't tested every editor, so far, PSPad appears to be the best performing for handling multiple files from different directories. More testing is required to confirm that though. Two well-known editors consistently crash under those conditions, but I won't name them since every editor hasn't been tested yet.

freakazoid

#141 Post by freakazoid »

TP109 - Do you have an updated link to your findings? I have a need to open a large log file and would really value your research :)

I think your graphs say that either GigaEdit or HiEditor is suitable for files larger than 750MB. Is that still the case?

Also for HiEditor, why didn't you use the latest version to test?
is it stealth? ;)

TP109

#142 Post by TP109 »

freakazoid wrote:TP109 - Do you have an updated link to your findings? I have a need to open a large log file and would really value your research :)

I think your graphs say that either GigaEdit or HiEditor is suitable for files larger than 750MB. Is that still the case?

Also for HiEditor, why didn't you use the latest version to test?
I have a list of updated text editors that I need to test, but haven't done that yet.

Yes, the tested versions of GigaEdit and HiEditor are the best performing for large files up to 750MB. I didn't test for files larger than 750MB though.

I didn't know about other versions of HiEditor when I first included it. I had found the link through an Autohotkey forum post and that's the version I tested. I have since found the HiEditor homepage and see they have updated versions. I will test the latest version today as well as look for an updated version of GigaEdit.

I've been somewhat lazy with the text editor tests since they are more intensive and detailed than the testing for other applications. There are just a lot of text editors and many of them are frequently updated too.

freakazoid

#143 Post by freakazoid »

Thanks for the quick reply, TP109.

I decided to test both HiEditor and GigaEdit and HiEditor formats the log file better for display, while GigaEdit doesn't show line-breaks properly.

However, HiEditor was eating disk I/O pretty badly. Probably because it was parsing the log file dynamically on demand, just a guess though.
is it stealth? ;)

TP109

#144 Post by TP109 »

I tested the new version of HiEditor v4.0.0.2 and the latest Programmers Notepad. There was no new version for GigaEdit. The new version of HiEditor is quite a bit different from the older version. It still launches very quickly, but it's a bit slower to fully load large files, but perceived loading is much faster. It also uses less RAM than before so it's extremely light on resources. Didn't know about the I/O activity before, that makes sense since it uses so little physical RAM and VM. Although GigaEdit is faster, HiEditor has more features than GigaEdit, so it's more useful in a lot of situations.

Uploaded the results to:
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g4 ... 448c30e6a2

smaragdus

#145 Post by smaragdus »

@TP109
Is this the place (http://www.winasm.net/free-small-fast-text-editor.html) where one can get a copy of this HiEditor? I am asking because it requires a registration to be able to download.

TP109

#146 Post by TP109 »

smaragdus wrote:Is this the place (http://www.winasm.net/free-small-fast-text-editor.html) where one can get a copy of this HiEditor? I am asking because it requires a registration to be able to download.
Yes, unfortunately, the site requires registration in order to download the editor.

smaragdus

#147 Post by smaragdus »

@TP109
Thank you for your immediate reply and for the confirmation!

Alextp

#148 Post by Alextp »

Can you include CudaText in test, please. It has big speed improves in last months.

TP109

#149 Post by TP109 »

Alextp wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:32 pm Can you include CudaText in test, please. It has big speed improves in last months.
OK. I will include the new version of CudaText in the next text editor tests.

skunkos

#150 Post by skunkos »

Include Textilosaurus as well, please. :)