Link Shell Extension (file system utility)

Post details of freeware that are found to be not portable here. Posts in the submissions forum relating to freeware found to be not portable should also be moved here.
Midas

Link Shell Extension (file system utility)

#1 Post by Midas »

Link Shell Extension (LSE) is not really portable software (mainly because a shell extension is designed to be tightly coupled with the Windows interface shell) but is nonetheless an essential utility for the power user and has been referenced in TPFC forums a couple of times before (see below). LSE is availalble in both 32 and 64 bits versions and is compatible with every Windows with NTFS (meaning NT and later).

Link Shell Extension (LSE) provides for the creation of Hardlinks, Junctions, Volume Mountpoints, and Windows7/8's Symbolic Links, (herein collectively referred to as Links) a folder cloning process that utilises Hardlinks or Symbolic Links and a copy process taking care of Junctions, Symbolic Links, and Hardlinks. LSE, as its name implies is implemented as a Shell extension and is accessed from Windows Explorer, or similar file/folder managers. The extension allows the user to select one or many files or folders, then using the mouse, complete the creation of the required Links - Hardlinks, Junctions or Symbolic Links or in the case of folders to create Clones consisting of Hard[links] or Symbolic Links. LSE is supported on all Windows versions that support NTFS version 5.0 or later, including Windows XP64 and Windows7/8. Hardlinks, Junctions and Symbolic Links are NOT supported on FAT file systems [!], and nor is the Cloning and Smart Copy process supported on FAT file systems.

Those with administrative privileges can use this portability workaround provided in LSE's documentation...

When using the silent install a directory can also be specified with the /D switch, e.g.:

Code: Select all

HardLinkShellExt_$(platform).exe /S /Language=English /D=C:\Program Files\LSE
Link Shell Extension can also be silently uninstalled by issuing:

Code: Select all

$LSEInstallDir/uninst-HardLinkShellExt_$(platform).exe /S
If the /S switch is used, explorer.exe will be restarted after uninstallation, to make Link Shell Extension inactive immediately.

Stark caveats apply! I must repeat this is an utility for the power user and misuse can result in loss of data. Integral reading of LSE's (excellent) documentation is more than recommended (e.g., Symbolic Links in Windows XP require an extra driver).

Download current LSE version (v3.8.5.0; see changelog) from schinagl.priv.at /nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html#download.

Related posts:

Last edited by Midas on Mon May 18, 2015 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

freakazoid

Re: Link Shell Extension (file system utility)

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Looks nice. I was using Winbolic Link, but having a context-menu item would be way easier to manage symlinks and junctions.

Definitely going to give this a try.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Link Shell Extension v3.8.6.8 released, dated 2016-04-19 (changelog is at schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html#history).

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

Link Shell Extension latest release is v3.9.2.4, dated 2019-04-28 (changelog at schinagl.priv.at /nt/hardlinkshellext/linkshellextension.html#history).

Midas

#5 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Link Shell Extension v3.9.3.3 released 2020-01-26 (changelog is at schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html#history).

Notable quote from the changelog:

• Link ShellExtension is public on gitlab.

Link ShellExtension Gitlab repo is at https://gitlab.com/schinagl/link-shell-extension.

freakazoid

#6 Post by freakazoid »

I'm still looking for an easier way to manage symlinks, particularly editing existing symlinks or junctions.

If anyone has any recommendations, let me know. LSE is good, but I use XYPlorer for the most part.
is it stealth? ;)

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

FWIW, LSE is the simplest for me: I use context menu on folders or files (i.e., right-click) to "Pick Link Source", then go the intended destination and right-click again to choose "Drop as...", which gives me all possible options.

Deleting is also as simple as using the default Explorer options. YMMV, though.

billon

#8 Post by billon »

linkMaker?
Not sure about editing

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Link Shell Extension v3.9.3.5 released 2021-01-16 (full changelog at schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html#history).