Node-Webkit

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Firewrath

Node-Webkit

#1 Post by Firewrath »

I want to throw this out there to anyone thats interested:
https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webkit
node-webkit is an app runtime based on Chromium and node.js. You can write native apps in HTML and Javascript with node-webkit. It also lets you to call Node.js modules directly from DOM and enables a new way of writing native applications with all Web technologies.

Features:
  • Apps written in modern HTML5, CSS3, JS and WebGL.
    Complete support for Node.js APIs and all its third party modules.
    Good performance: Node and WebKit runs in the same thread: Function calls are made straightforward; objects are in the same heap and can just reference each other;
    Easy to package and distribute apps.
    Available on Linux, Mac OSX and Windows
I'm sorry, I jumped in and ran the thing, so I can't really test how portable it is. >.>
But I've always been looking for things thatll let me program desktop applications in like HTML/CSS for the GUI/etc, I'm hoping this will be it. :P
(imo, Wapache needs an embedded browser.....)

But I know a few of you guys around here are good at Web/script programming, so even if its not portable, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. ^-^

SYSTEM

Re: Node-Webkit

#2 Post by SYSTEM »

Gluxon, a PortableApps.com developer, recently suggested rewriting PortableApps.com Platform with Web technologies: http://portableapps.com/node/37578.

I think the entire thread is a good read, but in particular:
John T. Haller wrote: As for the links, the listed example programs, most of those GUIs are pretty bad. They look like basic web pages. I've yet to see something that looks and feels like a real app based on these web engines (Brief Msg comes closest). They all look and feel like web apps shoehorned into their own window.
(The list he referred: https://github.com/rogerwang/node-webki ... ode-webkit.)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Firewrath

#3 Post by Firewrath »

Not meaning to be arguing with you today. :P
But, I've seen some ugly Windows programs over the years too, (some Horribly Horribly ugly :P), but as long as it works and does what it's supposed to who cares? The GUI can always be changed/updated if the developer cares enough about the users when they complain.
With HTML/CSS as a GUI, it can be changed/updated even easier then something like the Windows API.

Although, yeah, I can see that and get where he is coming from after have read the thread, but most people that get into it are probably Web coders and not desktop software developers. So their work will probably resemble web pages at first till either people complain or more desktop devs get involved.
As more people get interested and the program grows, I think a lot of how people make the GUI will change. Personally I like the idea of programs having a custom GUI theme, though I can see the issue with there not being a consistent look to things.

The fact that you can make a program and simply deploy to Windows/Linux/Mac though is huge I think, plus as things go on and it gets more system integration I think this will be a big thing.
(Though I might be bias because I've been looking for stuff like this for a long time, though for me it was cause I suck at coding for the basic windows GUI ;)
...not that my HTML is any better, but at least I understand it. :P)

I basically put it up here because it seemed cool and wanted to spread it around. I also hoped some around here might pick up on it and put out some cool stuff, since I know we have some talented coders/scripters that visit/hangout. :P
But if not and no one finds it interesting, meh.
I still like it and will play with it for a bit. ^-^

SYSTEM

#4 Post by SYSTEM »

Firewrath wrote:Not meaning to be arguing with you today. :P
But, I've seen some ugly Windows programs over the years too, (some Horribly Horribly ugly :P), but as long as it works and does what it's supposed to who cares? The GUI can always be changed/updated if the developer cares enough about the users when they complain.
With HTML/CSS as a GUI, it can be changed/updated even easier then something like the Windows API.

Although, yeah, I can see that and get where he is coming from after have read the thread, but most people that get into it are probably Web coders and not desktop software developers. So their work will probably resemble web pages at first till either people complain or more desktop devs get involved.
As more people get interested and the program grows, I think a lot of how people make the GUI will change. Personally I like the idea of programs having a custom GUI theme, though I can see the issue with there not being a consistent look to things.

The fact that you can make a program and simply deploy to Windows/Linux/Mac though is huge I think, plus as things go on and it gets more system integration I think this will be a big thing.
(Though I might be bias because I've been looking for stuff like this for a long time, though for me it was cause I suck at coding for the basic windows GUI ;)
...not that my HTML is any better, but at least I understand it. :P)

I basically put it up here because it seemed cool and wanted to spread it around. I also hoped some around here might pick up on it and put out some cool stuff, since I know we have some talented coders/scripters that visit/hangout. :P
But if not and no one finds it interesting, meh.
I still like it and will play with it for a bit. ^-^
I think Node-Webkit will succeed and become popular. :? Hello bloated apps* with horrible UIs.

* Yes, no other word fits here. ;)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020