LF: Bookmarks Mgr + deleting languages

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
brickablesmile

LF: Bookmarks Mgr + deleting languages

#1 Post by brickablesmile »

What I'd really like is a single interface that can handle both IRC and IM, if possible, hopefully requiring a lot less configuration than Miranda. I'm currently running Trillian free - ads and all on my mobile phone, and Seamonkey for Chatzilla on my usb stick. I would really, really like if there was a portable alternative that could handle AIM, GTalk, YIM, MSN (Skype now), and all my chat rooms at one shot.

Any suggestions?

ETA: Does anyone know if FreeCol is actually portable? I'm still new to the whole concept of portable apps, and haven't the faintest.
Last edited by brickablesmile on Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

joby_toss

Re: LF: Alt to Trillian/Chatzilla + Is FreeCol portable?

#2 Post by joby_toss »

I find IRC being very easy to use with Miranda.

FreeCol requires Java and saves settings to C:\Users\User\Documents\FreeCol. Maybe there is a command line string like "-Duser.home=. -jar FreeCol.jar" that can force the settings to be saved in the same folder, but I couldn't find one/get it to work.

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

brickablesmile wrote:What I'd really like is a single interface that can handle both IRC and IM, if possible, hopefully requiring a lot less configuration than Miranda. I'm currently running Trillian free - ads and all on my mobile phone, and Seamonkey for Chatzilla on my usb stick. I would really, really like if there was a portable alternative that could handle AIM, GTalk, YIM, MSN (Skype now), and all my chat rooms at one shot.
Foremost would be Pidgin, as I've used it with all the networks you mention apart from Skype, and it works well. Second, something a little closer to Seamonkey might be Mozilla's chat updates for Thunderbird that enable IRC and other services. Finally, I generally prefer InstantBird, but I haven't tested it extensively on IRC.

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

Definitely use Miranda NG, it's an offshoot of the original Miranda and all of its plugins are updated and maintained by the core devs. This means that plugins will never be outdated unlike original Miranda.
is it stealth? ;)

brickablesmile

#5 Post by brickablesmile »

webfork wrote: Foremost would be Pidgin, as I've used it with all the networks you mention apart from Skype, and it works well. Second, something a little closer to Seamonkey might be Mozilla's chat updates for Thunderbird that enable IRC and other services. Finally, I generally prefer InstantBird, but I haven't tested it extensively on IRC.
Instantbird looks good. I'll probably download and see.
joby_toss wrote: FreeCol requires Java and saves settings to C:\Users\User\Documents\FreeCol. Maybe there is a command line string like "-Duser.home=. -jar FreeCol.jar" that can force the settings to be saved in the same folder, but I couldn't find one/get it to work.
Thanks for the headsup - I really wish that saved settings to usb :P

-- recycling the topic --

I'm currently hunting like mad for a way to export bookmarks from Chrome-based (portable) to IE (work) and back to Firefox (home). I see two entries in the database, but didn't like either. There was a comment on Bookmarkbridge - any idea if that is portable? Or any other recs? I'm kinda hoping for something like bitly for the iPhone :P

Do we have a reference for which is the correct language file? So I know which to delete? e.g. Does anyone know which is the correct file in Calibre for English?...\resources\localization\locales.zip, en_AU, en_CA, en_GB? I'm from Singapore, so I'm more towards UK English, but failing that, any particular kind of English will do :P I suspect GB is the correct folder, can anyone confirm?

joby_toss

Re: LF: Bookmarks Mgr + deleting languages

#6 Post by joby_toss »

Bookmarkbridge hasn't been updated since 2006, so I, for one, won't test it.