Phototheca 2 (liteware DotNET photo manager)

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
LunarshipSoftware

Re: Phototheca devs: USB sticks too slow

#16 Post by LunarshipSoftware »

webfork wrote:
carbonize wrote:Send them the link to this thread.
Done :)
Hi guys,

I'm the man behind Phototheca software. Thank you for all explanations of advantages to use portable software that you wrote above. I agree to all those points. So, it took a long-long-long time to wait, but finally - portable version of Phototheca is released! :)

I've got a chance and inspiration to compile it today, and you are welcome to try how it works for you, with all those hell-fast USB sticks and drives. The program can be downloaded from the page: https://lunarship.com/portable.html

Any feedback is really, really appreciated :)

BR,
Anton

smaragdus

Re: Phototheca 2.6.0.1874 Portable

#17 Post by smaragdus »

@LunarshipSoftware

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the portable version.

However I could not test it because Phototheca version 2.6.0.1874 Portable crashes on my Windows 8 x64 system any time i try to start it. Is Windows 8 supported? I managed to create a dump file but it is huge (about 173 MB). Will it be of any help? In needed I can upload it.

It is not necessary to use a portable program from an external drive- I run all my portable programs from an internal drive. For me portable programs have many advantages- for example they are very easy to back-up and this is extremely handy when one re-installs OS.

joby_toss

Re: Phototheca devs: USB sticks too slow [now payware]

#18 Post by joby_toss »

Tested Phototheca_2.6.0.1874_portable.zip on win10x64:

The good:
-settings saved to UserData sub-folder

The bad:
-MediaToolkit folder saved in the drive's root, containing ffmpeg.exe file
-crash log file saved as C:\users\current\AppData\Local\Phototheca\CrashReports\Log.txt (although no crash happened)
-.NET usage log saved as C:\users\current\AppData\Local\Microsoft\CLR_v4.0_32\UsageLogs\Phototheca.exe.log (standard windows behavior, hopefully can be avoided)
-persistent files/folders ContextMenuHandlers registry entries
-persistent update related registry entries in [HKCU\software\Lunarship Software\Phototheca]

@LunarshipSoftware: Thank you for being here and for trying to do the right thing! :)

webfork

Re: Phototheca devs: USB sticks too slow [now payware]

#19 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:The good ... The bad
Thanks for testing

Midas

Re: Phototheca 2 (liteware DotNET photo manager)

#20 Post by Midas »

Finally had a chance to play a little with the 'portable' Phototheca 2 (downloaded from https://lunarship.com/portable.html, which yields v2.8.0.1972, somewhat behind the installable v2.8.0.2010 download: see official changelog at https://lunarship.com/news.html).

DotNET requirement seems to be v4.0 or more but I didn't find any official confirmation. What I was able to confirm was most of joby_toss previous findings, namely the crashlog in '%APPDATA%\Local\Phototheca\CrashReports' and registry key at 'HKCU\Software\Lunarship Software\Phototheca'.

As you can confirm in the screenshot below (check red arrows), Phototheca 2 should be viewed as liteware because of the limitation on the number of files it can read and albums it can export. It also failed to update itself to the latest version.

Summing up: interesting idea and pleasant interface, all let down by the functional limitations.

webfork

Re: Phototheca 2 (liteware DotNET photo manager)

#21 Post by webfork »

Thanks for checking. I'm *definitely* looking for even a payware replacement for Microsoft Photo Manager, which got dumped in the 2016 update.