An Explorer like XP for Windows 7 and beyond...

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
david.lynch

An Explorer like XP for Windows 7 and beyond...

#1 Post by david.lynch »

Hey everyone! Image

I'm looking for a good Explorer for Windows 7 and beyond, behaving and looking like it is on XP. For now I'm using A43, but maybe I'm missing better options.

There's no way to run Explorer.exe from XP on 7, right?

Please share your thoughts on this matter! Image

freakazoid

Re: An Explorer like XP for Windows 7 and beyond...

#2 Post by freakazoid »

I'm also in the same boat.

For now, I'm using CubicExplorer because it's very customizable, although the memory usage is around 13MB.

You could also try Classic Shell (http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/), which tries to emulate the XP start menu and brings back a few XP Explorer features.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:For now, I'm using CubicExplorer because it's very customizable, although the memory usage is around 13MB.
I concur completely. I can't stand Win7's file manager. CubicExplorer does a fairly good job of keeping things simple and for things that are just complex because Win7 puts them in dumb places (the whole libraries folder), there's a great bookmarks system to help jump around quickly.

freakazoid

#5 Post by freakazoid »

I absolutely adore the customizing in CubicExplorer. I have it looking like my web browser! The only thing it could really use is mouse / rocker gestures.

Besides the interface, also check out the awesome keyboard shortcuts (or Hotkeys as they are called in CE) that are so easy to modify. This even beats some of the better keyboard UI's like Opera.
is it stealth? ;)

Island Boy

#6 Post by Island Boy »

tproli

#7 Post by tproli »

Thanks for mentioning Just Manager, I really like it. I'm only missing the archive support (which is on the roadmap) but otherwise it is excellent.

Marc

#8 Post by Marc »

If only Windows XP SP3 had a 64-bit version and support for stuff like 4k sector size in HDDs...
I haven't tried all the file managers posted above nor in the database (which are quite a lot), so I will only add that if
"the look and feel of XP" is what you are after, and not that extra advanced features, Explorer++ and ExplorerXP seem like file explorers that resemble more Windows XP (could be wrong though). Also not sure what David.lynch is looking for into that regard. This thread seems like a good start for finding a replacement for W7 Explorer.

@Freakazoid would you mind sharing a screenshot? I can't help being curious... :)

PD: In XP in mosaic view, if files are sorted by modification date or name it displays as well the modification date or the file type of each file, that's something I really miss in W7 and that I haven't seen in other file explorers.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Marc wrote:If only Windows XP SP3 had a 64-bit version
:?:

There is one... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XP_x64

Marc

#10 Post by Marc »

from the Wikipedia article wrote:Service Pack 2 is the last released service pack for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.
but what I didn't know and came as surprise...
Service Packs for 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows XP are not compatible with Windows XP x64 Edition. Features introduced by Service Pack 2 for Windows XP were already present in the RTM version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, which identifies itself as "Service Pack 1" akin to the Server edition.
Is XP SP2 X64 Professional equivalent to XP SP3 X86?

SYSTEM

#11 Post by SYSTEM »

Marc wrote:
Service Packs for 32-bit (x86) editions of Windows XP are not compatible with Windows XP x64 Edition. Features introduced by Service Pack 2 for Windows XP were already present in the RTM version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, which identifies itself as "Service Pack 1" akin to the Server edition.
Is XP SP2 X64 Professional equivalent to XP SP3 X86?
Yes, from the most important POV: application compatibility.

Warning: very technical post ahead.

The most popular C/C++ compiler for Windows is Microsoft Visual C++ (MSVC). The most recent version is MSVC 2012.

Originally Microsoft decided to not allow Windows XP targeting with MSVC 2012, that is, to make programs compiled with MSVC 2012 to require at least Windows Vista. However, due to negative feedback Microsoft reversed that decision. :shock: MSVC 2012 Update 1 restored support for Windows XP targeting.

What about the required service pack?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/ ... 57555.aspx
Ibrahim Damlaj wrote: The static and dynamic link libraries for the CRT, ConCRT/PPL, STL, and MFC have been updated in-place to add runtime support for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Applications written in C++/CLI which target the .NET Framework 4.0 will also run on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. For these operating systems, the supported versions are Windows XP SP3 for x86, Windows XP SP2 for x64, and Windows Server 2003 SP2 for both x86 and x64.
Emphasis added.

So, an application that requires Windows XP SP3 (i.e. is compiled with MSVC 2012 Update 1) most likely runs on 64-bit Windows XP SP2 as well.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Marc

#12 Post by Marc »

Excellent Info. I will prepare my system for three-boot: XP SP3 x86, W7 SP1 X64, XP SP2 X64.

btw it sounds plain weird to call it trial boot.

david.lynch

#13 Post by david.lynch »

Marc wrote:"the look and feel of XP" is what you are after, and not that extra advanced features, Explorer++ and ExplorerXP seem like file explorers that resemble more Windows XP (could be wrong though). Also not sure what David.lynch is looking for into that regard. This thread seems like a good start for finding a replacement for W7 Explorer.
Hey Marc and everyone,

I would be satisfied if I find a way to run the exact explorer.exe from XP on any other OS Image

There were some great suggestions here.

I really don't like the approach that Microsoft used on post-XP versions because the changes doesn't seem to represent evolution. Just to give an example: if you use the keyboard to select a folder on the left pane of explorer on w7, his contents aren't displayed on the right pane: you need to press enter. Overall functionality, usability and even the GUI was a huge and unacceptable step backwards. It is not a matter of getting used to.

I would extend the argument making a quote from a comment at this Wired arcticle:
The idea of an OS was fully realized and mature with Windows XP - that is precisely WHY so many people still run it. You want an OS to be 100% in the background, to simply stay out of your way, and not annoy you. Microsoft didn't get this, or at least their accountants didn't. That's why they had to fix what wasn't broken and release Vista. Win7 cleaned up some of what Vista ruined, but to me it still isn't a major leap from XP. There's no reason for me to leave XP.

Finally, I'm guessing that Win8 will probably be the final straw for consumers still running Windows. MS thinks a desktop PC is a tablet, so everything is now about apps. Apps are great on my iPhone, but I don't friggin need them on my PC. Win8 represents a return to the OS dominating your computing life. Didn't they learn that lesson with Vista's abject failures?

freakazoid

#14 Post by freakazoid »

Marc wrote:@Freakazoid would you mind sharing a screenshot? I can't help being curious... :)

It's not exactly like my browser! I kind of exaggerated a bit, but it's almost like it.

I usually have the address bar on the first line and tabs on the second with auxillary icons on the far right of each.

In my browser (Pale Moon / Firefox), I moved the title bar and the address bar on the same line.

One thing I don't like about CubicExplorer's address bar is it doesn't autocomplete.
is it stealth? ;)

Marc

#15 Post by Marc »

freakazoid wrote:It's not exactly like my browser! I kind of exaggerated a bit, but it's almost like it.
:D :D ;)
Thanks for sharing! I was actually expecting some FF like icons! Well as you pointed it the deal is in
arrangement of the elements, maybe I'm wrong but my impression is that is a compact setup.