Any Portable Auto-Renamer for files with specific filenames?

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Marc

Any Portable Auto-Renamer for files with specific filenames?

#1 Post by Marc »

At first this looked like a simple task, but I haven't found a portable tool to fill the gap. Basically it should monitor a folder/folders for file with a specific filename and auto-rename only this files i.e. add a custom/unique string. Any renamer out there that can get the job done?

Lupo73

Re: Any Portable Auto-Renamer for files with specific filena

#2 Post by Lupo73 »

You could try DropIt, that support folder monitoring and rename features..

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Would try Belvedere with the folder checking rate set quite low.

Marc

#4 Post by Marc »

My most sincere compliments for developing such finest application, wonder how I didn't know about it before...
I've one caveat however and if I may a possible improvement, as I need to process a big number of files, it takes quite a processing power to process all of them, perhaps the monitoring process could take a different approach, instead of performing a full scan every scheduled interval, maintain a list of current files and go progressively updating/processing them as "Everything" search app.
I'll definitely check as well Belvedere, and see how well it does perform with big directories.
Thanks both for the suggestions!

Lupo73

#5 Post by Lupo73 »

Thanks for the advice. I think an indexing method is not the best solution, maybe I'll add support to check events of monitored folders, to process only new/updated items.

Marc

#6 Post by Marc »

That'd be great. I tested Belvedere and it does use less processor load; around half, but that is still an important cut/load, it seems* like it has similar approach (because regardless of how many files had been modified or a created it uses the same processing resources) as DropIt but I can't really tell. Other than that the task is done.
Thanks again ;)

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Lupo73 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I think an indexing method is not the best solution, maybe I'll add support to check events of monitored folders, to process only new/updated items.
Good idea.

Additionally, in Belvedere there's a "Date last modified" and "is in the last" X minutes. That might help cut down on some of the processing time.