New launcher is available for download: version 220.127.116.11.
I’m sharing my custom launcher and a guide how to make portable package (PP).Contents
1. About Evernote
2. About The Launcher
3. Launcher Options (Evernote.ini)
4. How To Create Portable Package (Guide)
5. EP Profile Folders & Files
6. EP Settings
7. EP Files Compression
8. How To Update EP
10. Launcher Download
11. Useful Links
12. UpdatesAbout Evernote
__________________________________________________________________________________________Keep everything in sync
With Evernote, all of your notes, web clips, files and images are made available on every device and computer you use.
Remember things you like
Save everything cool and exciting you see online and in the real world. Snap a photo, record some audio and save it.
Save favorite webpages
Save entire webpages to your Evernote account with our nifty web clipper browser extensions. You get the whole page: text, images and links.
Collect information from anywhere into a single place. From text notes to web pages to files to snapshots, everything is always at your fingertips.
Work with friends and colleagues
Share your notes and collaborate on projects with friends, colleagues and classmates.
Plan your next trip
Keep all of your itineraries, confirmations, scanned travel documents, maps, and plans in Evernote, so you’ll have them when you need them.Evernote HomepageAbout The Launcher
• Launcher makes Evernote fully portable.
• Launcher enables you to use all functions of the installed version, like Evernote clipper for IE and Outlook, Send To shortcut,... + some launcher's extra/unique features like enex files association.
• Launcher is the only tool you will need to build and update PP - no third party software like Universal Extractor is required,...
• Launcher can build PP from local Evernote program and profile files. It can also import local Evernote settings into PP.
• It can delete non English dictionaries, UI files,... (after updating your PP).
• You can use launcher to compress Evernote portable (EP) files.
• Launcher can backup/restore EP settings (file).Launcher Options (Evernote.ini)
' (App folder in your PP) file is created (if it does not exist) on the first run. You can use this info if you want to restore default launcher settings. To restore default launcher settings, delete 'Evernote.ini' file and launcher will create new one, with default settings, on the next run.[Windows Integration]Run Evernote When Windows Starts
- enables EP to start with Windows. Launcher puts startup reg value in the registry.
Option is disabled by default.
The next three options under 'Windows Integration' section are always active - available for you to use - while EP is running. So if you enable the 'Run Evernote When Windows Starts' then you can leave them disabled.Enable Notes Hyperlinks
- you can open notes using hyperlinks from within other apps: clicking note's hyperlink will "wake up" EP and open the note.
Option is disabled by default.Add Send To Shortcut
- import any file(s) into EP with right-click -> Send To -> .Evernote Portable.
Option is disabled by default.Associate Enex Files
- import Evernote export (enex) files into EP with just a double-click. This is an option that even installed version doesn't have.
Option is disabled by default.
I recommend that you use all options under Windows Integration section only on your computer. Running launcher with these options enabled will leave traces on the local computer.
To remove trace(s): disable option(s) and run the launcher.[General]Show Tray Icon
- when enabled, Evernote icon is showed in the task bar notification area.
Note: When 'Run Evernote When Windows Starts' is enabled, 'Show Tray Icon' option is ignored.
'Show Tray Icon' option is enabled by default.Keep Running In Tray
- when enabled, Evernote is minimized to tray when you close the main window. You can use this only when 'Show Tray Icon' is enabled.
This option is enabled by default.Refresh Shell Icons
- when enabled, launcher refreshes shell icons.
Option is enabled by default.Add [Debug] Menu
- when enabled, '[Debug]' menu is added to menus.
Option is disabled by default.[Compression]
Compress Files - when enabled, launcher compresses EP files.
Option is disabled by default.Custom Upx Path
- here you can specify custom Upx path: absolute path to folder that contains 'upx.exe'.
If this value is empty, UPX in the PP is used to compresses EP files. Its downloaded automatically if it doesn't exist (optional).How To Create Portable Package (Guide)
Guide is short and simple. Launcher (wizard) completely automates building of the PP.
• Download and extract 'EP_Launcher.zip
' to a location of your choice (USB,…).
• If you have locally installed Evernote and would like to create PP using these files: run the launcher and follow wizard instructions.
• If you would like to create PP from scratch: download Evernote installer
' folder (Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile -> AutoUpdate
), run the launcher and follow wizard instructions.
in Evernote Portable folder to start Evernote Portable.EP Profile Folders & Files
EP's profile folders and files (Databases, *.snippets,…) are in Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile
To backup your notes,..., copy Profile folder to location of your choice -> where you keep your backups.EP Settings
• EP's settings are saved in 'settings.reg
' file (App folder in your PP). Launcher backups EP settings file automatically.
• Restoring EP settings from backup
To RESTORE EP settings from backup, delete 'settings.reg' file.
• Creating new EP settings backup
To CREATE new EP settings backup file, delete 'settings.bak' file.EP Files Compression
Launcher has built in ability to compress EP files. UPX (The Ultimate Packer for eXecutables) is required to use this feature.
• To use the compression feature, open 'Evernote.ini' file and enable 'Compress Files' option under 'Compression' section.
Run the launcher and follow the instructions.
• UPX Locations (2)
1. You can specify custom UPX (upx.exe) location: absolute path to folder that contains 'upx.exe'.
Custom Upx Path=Absolute path to UPX folder
2. If 'Custom Upx Path' value is empty, launcher uses 'upx.exe' from Evernote Portable -> App -> upx
If 'upx.exe' is not in there, launcher will download UPX for you (optional).
You can download UPX
yourself. Create upx
folder in App folder and extract UPX zip archive in there.
Note: The compression wizard is automatically launched after the Evernote Portable update has been installed.How To Update EP
• At notification, that the new version is available, download the update.
• When you get notification that Evernote update is ready to be installed, choose 'Remind Me Later' option and close everything.
• Restart the launcher and follow the instructions.
If you would like to (for any reason) downgrade EP: your old EP version is in 'Old_EP_VersionNumber' folder ('Evernote Portable' folder).Recommendation
EP (while running) uses registry and local file system. So if computer or EP crashes, traces are left behind. If its possible run the launcher again to clean the leftovers.Launcher Download
__________________________________________________________________________________________Evernote Portable (Launcher)
MD5: BEC2EF83DAAEBB9F5F0FFA2678949729 (zip archive)Useful Links
__________________________________________________________________________________________Getting Started with EvernoteKnowledge BaseEvernote User Guide (PDF)
=============================================================================Updates09.04.2013: Version 18.104.22.168
- Improved 'EvernoteStartup' application
- Other minor improvements27.03.2013: Version 22.214.171.124
I almost completely rewrote the launcher. I kept all previous features (except 'Running Mode') and added lots of new ones.
- (New) Enable Notes Hyperlinks - you can open notes using hyperlinks from within other apps
- (New) Add Send To Shortcut - import any file(s) into EP with right-click -> Send To -> .Evernote Portable
- (New) Associate Enex Files - import enex (Evernote export) files into EP with just a double-click
- (New) Refresh Shell Icons - you can refresh shell icons
- (New) Add [Debug] Menu - you can add '[Debug]' menu to menus
- (New) Compress Files - you can use launcher to compress EP files
- (New) Custom Upx Path - you can specify custom Upx path: absolute path to folder that contains 'upx.exe'
- 'settings.reg' file now stores EP settings
To use your old EP settings with the new launcher, rename 'rs.reg' file to 'settings.reg'.
- Added warning message(s) with instructions when you would leave log files on local computer
- Added ability to backup and restore settings file
- New startup splash screen
- Many other minor improvements12.08.2012: Version 126.96.36.199
Some of the major changes & features added
- Completely new 'Evernote.ini' file format
- Added launcher's config options:
Run Evernote When Windows Starts
Show Tray Icon
Keep Running In Tray
- Added LocalLow folder support
- (New) EvernoteStartup program
- New startup splash screen
- IMPORTANT: EP's profile folders are now stored in: Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile folder. Before they were in Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile -> Evernote.
If you are updating my EP package, you must move EP's profile folders from Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile -> Evernote to
Evernote Portable -> App -> Profile folder in order to be able to use them. You can then delete the empty Evernote folder.