Chrome "incognito browsing"

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
juverax

Chrome "incognito browsing"

#1 Post by juverax »

Though this post is about security and privacy, since Chrome portable is available on the TPFC website ( https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2074 ), it is legitimate to mention here that one of its features: the "incognito browsing" option does not protect the privacy of the user, as it is revealed in the following article (originally by Reuters): https://financialpost.com/pmn/business- ... wsuit-says

freakazoid

Re: Chrome "incognito browsing"

#2 Post by freakazoid »

Yeah, this is pretty obvious to most intermediate users.

One of my friends however is adamant about incognito mode and defaults to starting up Chrome in incognito. The problem with what he does is he leaves Chrome open for hours (and sometimes, days) at a time while logged into various sites, which kind of defeats the purpose of incognito.
is it stealth? ;)

webfork

Re: Chrome "incognito browsing"

#3 Post by webfork »

juverax wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:19 am Incognito mode or “private browsing” is a web browser function that Paxton said implies Google will not track search history or location activity.
It's hard not to be cynical about this since I live there, but I think this has less to do with privacy than it does privacy-adjacent issues in Texas right now. Not a fan of Paxon and not expecting this to have any teeth.

On the upside, I really enjoyed Google's response, which is boilerplate "nobody understands me" Google PR nothingspeak:
[The] attorneys general are bringing a case based on inaccurate claims and outdated assertions about our settings. We have always built privacy features into our products and provided robust controls for location data.