Looking for program to add custom taskbar jump list items

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
Specular

Looking for program to add custom taskbar jump list items

#1 Post by Specular »

Jump lists are the menus that appear when you click and drag a pinned taskbar icon away from the taskbar. Here's Steam's jump list:

I'm looking for a program that can add a user's own custom items of any sor. Most programs have jump lists that are specific to their purpose (pinning RTF files for example pins them to the Wordpad icon) but the program I'm looking for would be able to pin any filetype to its icon.

I believe I've seen such a program in the past but I don't have a clear recollection of what it was. Any ideas?

Specular

Re: Looking for program to add custom taskbar jump list item

#2 Post by Specular »

Managed to find this article which covers a few different programs which allow for this (see the 'Create Your Own Jump Lists' section), including JumpList Launcher (said to be portable).

There's also a native way to add a directory of arbitrary shortcuts to the taskbar but it's not a jumplist.

Specular

Re: Looking for program to add custom taskbar jump list item

#3 Post by Specular »

After some use I realize the way these programs work isn't ideal. Turns out they utilize/require the 'Recent files' option. So if you have it disabled (Taskbar properties>Jump Lists>'Store and display recently opened items in Jump Lists') then these programs won't work (JumpList Launcher automatically re-enables it when launched).

Thing is, this option populates other programs' jump lists with unnecessary recently viewed items/directories, taking up space in the jump list and pushing the familiar items (eg: non-Recent jump list items) further up/down (especially if you increase the max number of remembered items via a program like JumpList Launcher).

There are ways to disable jump lists entirely for specific programs but not specifically just the 'recent' portions of them. So for instance File Explorer can contained pinned directories as a kind of favorites list, but disabling its jump list file removes those in addition to the recent items.

Wish there was a program that could replicate this functionality without the reliance on recent items.