Eagle Mode

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
I am Baas

Eagle Mode

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Eagle Mode is a zoomable user interface (ZUI) with professional file manager, text & image viewer, audio & video player, archiver, chess game, 3D minesweeper, world clock, and fractal fun, all integrated in a virtual cosmos, with C++ toolkit API.
http://eaglemode.sourceforge.net/

Sounds like a cool and fun application.

A Video demo

Anyone heard of / tried it?

joby_toss

Re: Eagle Mode

#2 Post by joby_toss »

I'm speechless at the moment!

Firewrath

#3 Post by Firewrath »

So while i was here, i checked out the threads from the front list and this Really got my attention with the 'zoomable user interface' bit (so much so that i made an effort to come back and post this,), and i must say im with Joby, :P

this is truely impressive, given the setup description for the Windows download, i doubt its portable,
but the first minute of the video even was still just ...wow, amazing,

lautrepay

#4 Post by lautrepay »

Very, very interesting. I don't know how much usable it could be, but it's impressive.
The screenshots are not very descriptive about what the project is. Whatch the video!

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:I'm speechless at the moment!
Ditto
lautrepay wrote:Whatch the video!
Agreed

freakazoid

#6 Post by freakazoid »

Like everyone, gotta say "Wow!"

However, it looks like it would use a lot of CPU though.

Edit: My suspicions are correct:
http://eaglemode.sourceforge.net/System ... ments.html
is it stealth? ;)

Firewrath

#7 Post by Firewrath »

Been thinking about this a Lot because id like to be able to give it a try, ...might see what i can manage, but anyways.
it would be Great if this was a bit more modular, IE: if all the windows stuff it wants to download and install would instead be plugins and not required* for its use.
(*i Guess theyre all required, theyre listed as 'recommended' so i dont know if it can run without them or not)

But yeah, i would Love to see something like this as just a file explorer, and i mean nothing all that fancy, just a zoomable basic file explorer/manager. Portable of course. :P
I mean seriously this is almost like something else ive wanted which would be a icon-zoomable desktop,
i tend to keep a Lot of things on my desktop and it would be Awesome to have sectors i could zoom into for icon groups.
(i actually thought more like mouse-over icons with pop up boxes listing a group of files/icons or even desktop 'tabs' for different icons, but after seeing this, zoomable would probably be more fitting ^-^)

EDIT: totally forgot to say this. This program would also make an awesome shell replacement too.
Id still rather have a portable file explorer based on it, but yeah, a shell would be nifty. :P

Firewrath

#8 Post by Firewrath »

Dont really mean to bump the thread, but....
I'm curious if anyone has actually tried to contact the developer and ask any questions about the program being portable or the requirements?

If not I might try to send an email next week here.

Firewrath

#9 Post by Firewrath »

Well, I'm going to bump the thread again. :P
I got a reply from the developer, which says:
(Actually, I a reply an hour after I sent the email, but couldn't check till now. ^-^)
Oliver wrote: Eagle Mode for Windows is not USB-Portable or Stealth. If you install it from the
setup-exe ( http://downloads.sourceforge.net/eaglem ... -setup.exe ),
all requirements are also installed, and you get an uninstall function which only
leaves saved settings in the users application data folder, and eventually
something in the temp folder. I do not know whether the setup program polutes
the registry (it's the NSIS installer, http://nsis.sourceforge.net ).

Once you have installed Eagle Mode, you could copy it from the Programs folder
to any other place and run it from there on any Windows PC (just start the file
eaglemode.wsf). This way it is USB portable.

An alternative would be to try out the Live-CD:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/eaglem ... livecd.iso
That should be 100% portable and stealth :-)
From that I gather that the only thing saved to the PC is the Setting in the user-app-data folder, so by that, logically, a launcher could possibly be made if someone wanted (and asked ofcourse :P).
(I might try out JPE when I can get a chance to install it.)

So anyways thought I'd post that real quick for anyone interested.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

> Once you have installed Eagle Mode, you could copy it from the Programs folder to any other place and run it from there on any Windows PC (just start the file eaglemode.wsf). This way it is USB portable.

I don't have the firepower to handle this program (thanks freakazoid for the sys req note) or I'd be all over this.

I am Baas

#11 Post by I am Baas »

So anyways thought I'd post that real quick for anyone interested.
Thank for the follow-up, Firewrath.

Firewrath

#12 Post by Firewrath »

webfork wrote:I don't have the firepower to handle this program (thanks freakazoid for the sys req note) or I'd be all over this.
Honestly, thats what i thought as well, given my PC is i think 6 or more years old, but its handled it surprisingly well, the only 'lag' i got was when i loaded up a bunch of moving .gif files, and even that was only for a few seconds. I never seen it use up a lot of my CPU or RAM while running it either.
You can also run it with Sandboxie, so you should give it a try and see how it works out. I didnt notice any registry entries being made by the program itself, but I didnt try messing with any of the addons, so really if it doesnt work, all you should have to delete is the Sandboxed folder, or if you run it just normally, the 'Eagle Mode' folder in the app data, IE:
C:\Documents and Settings\<USER>\Application Data\eaglemode

There are a Few things i wish it did, like let right clicks open a menu or work with windows, but eh, someone could prolly make an addon for it that does that if they really wanted to mess with it, its still Really nice for navigating a large bunch of files, though i'll admit it takes some getting used to.

I am Baas wrote:Thank for the follow-up, Firewrath.
No problem ^-^
Thanks for finding the program and letting us know about it here. ^-^

I've emailed the Dev back on some of the portable stuff that could be done, but since the site says he wants to take it to like Android, he might be more focused on that. Which would be nifty if i had an Android tablet. >.>
Either way im still rather impressed with the program and its potential.

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

Firewrath wrote:
webfork wrote:I don't have the firepower to handle this program (thanks freakazoid for the sys req note) or I'd be all over this.
Honestly, thats what i thought as well, given my PC is i think 6 or more years old, but its handled it surprisingly well, the only 'lag' i got was when i loaded up a bunch of moving .gif files, and even that was only for a few seconds. I never seen it use up a lot of my CPU or RAM while running it either.
I tested it as well and that was my experience. I have a Dual-Core Intel 2 ghz without a video card and, while the zooming in and out isn't as fluid, its still very useful. The "eagle mode" is a great name as you really get a bird's eye view of your whole computer. I've never seen anything this good for seeing how well your files are organized, as well as looking at 100s of picture folders to track down an individual image. This is an extremely innovative way to look at a machine.

The zooming was a little odd -- I'd have to be on the very edge of the screen to get it to move a little that direction OR zoom WAY out and redirect. If I could navigate all of this with just a mouse, that'd be helpful. This is a crap response because there was a huge notice at the beginning that I should read the help file before use, which I did not do. However, I think the program will see a lot more users if its really intuitive to use right out of the gate.

Firewrath

#14 Post by Firewrath »

Yeah, the zooming kind of bothers me,
The part where it gets me the most is zooming out, it zooms out opposite of the mouse. Meaning if you zoom out while your mouse cursor is on the right side of the screen, that side of the screen stays where it is but the left side zooms out, so in order to zoom out to the right, you have to move the cursor to the left. This would Greatly annoy me if i didnt use 'CursorUS' to wrap my cursor from one side of my screen to the other. ^-^
(if you didnt know, you can use double-click to focus zoom-in on a 'grid section' (IE: folder or file). It's Awesome. But its bound to the 3rd mouse button and my scrollwheel doesn't like it. ...or using mouse3 to pan. -_-)

I emailed the developer about it and a couple other things after i used it for a while, like:
Adding an option for zooming in/out to be centered on the mouse cursor.
Being able to rebind the mouse buttons* and other keys.
Adding an option to replace the default 'file contents view' with 'file icons' for people with lower end PCs and to allow faster zooming for 'costly' files/folders.
Changing how it shows text files so they word-wrap, its annoying trying to read one long line in a text file.
And moving the 'control view' (the whole bar across the top of the screen) to a right-click menu, which I think would be Very handy, having all the options right there next to the mouse cursor. Plus it'd save a little screen space.
Also a few minor bugs.
(*I would Love to be able to bind the Mouse3 actions to Mouse1 instead....)

In a couple emails before all that though, I talked to the developer about the whole 'portable' bit, and part of his reply was:
Oliver wrote: A change of the USB drive letter does not hurt. The start script calculates the program path relative to its own position.

Providing an option for saving the settings in the program folder would be easy. I made a notice in my TODO list. The next release will have that option. I'll let you know.
So unless my last email annoyed him with suggestions, and well, people here know how I am with such things. ;)
The next release should be fully portable. ^-^

I am Baas

#15 Post by I am Baas »

Thank you, Firewrath. Yes EagleMode creates various config.rec files in AppData\Roaming\eaglemode\ but I believe it also writes to thumbcache_.db in AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer. Can you guys confirm that?.

You should check out PhotoMesa Image Browser
PhotoMesa is a zoomable image browser. It allows the user to view multiple directories of images in a zoomable environment, and uses a set of simple navigation mechanisms to move through the space of images.
Download @ http://www.windsorinterfaces.com/photom ... load.shtml
(The latest is Version 3.1.2 - April 1, 2006 but runs fine on Win 7 64-bit. Requires .net 1.1)