Scanner Tool

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
skall

Scanner Tool

#1 Post by skall »

hello,

i am looking for a free portable scansoftware, mainly for scanning pictures in tiff format (an included moire filter would be ideal).

thanks in advance

webfork

Re: Scanner Tool

#2 Post by webfork »

I'd probably start with XNview, which has scanner support: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=30

skall

#3 Post by skall »

hi webfork,

thanks a lot for your suggestion.

in the meantime i already found irfanview, which works very well via twain. unfortunately the scan dialog does not save my dpi settings, so i have to enter it manually every time, which gets a bit frustrating when scanning a lot of pictures...

another little drawback is, that the scanning mask also does not remember its maximum position. but on the other hand, autoselection works quite well, so normally there is no need to adjust anything at all.

regarding the moire filter, irfanview also offers a blur effect, but it is a bit of an experiment to get the results you want. i have not found the ideal guide for a better result yet.

maybe someone more experienced can help me out with some tips?

ps: i will check out xnview, do you know if it competes any better in the above disciplines?

KJD

#4 Post by KJD »

skall

note that HP admit their twain scanning drivers have a problem "remembering" user settings see

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-F ... -p/2467509

If that is related to your problem then you may have a problem using twain and need a different driver solution

skall

#5 Post by skall »

thanks for the hint, i own an epson, but the problem seems the same. after completing a (multiple) scan the dialog closes down and the resulting picture is shown. the dpi settings always reset to default after one scan.

did not find the time to look into xnview, but i guess the twain dialog will just look the same (having the same problems). but maybe xnview offers a more automatic moire filter. will report back as soon as posssible.

ps: wished i could use the bundled easy photo scan without installing additional drivers etc.

KJD

#6 Post by KJD »

i have to enter it manually every time, which gets a bit frustrating when scanning a lot of pictures
from Epson dialogs

Optional Settings

[x] Show Add Page dialog after scanning

If you are scanning a multi-page document using the PDF or Multi-Tiff format, select to display a prompt for scanning additional pages after the first page is scanned.

would that not help in keeping those settings?

using multi-tiff format you can use irfanview to split each file of grouped photos into seperate pages (see also batch commands to do other tasks such as rotate this bunch, sharpen that bunch etc)

hope that helps