Organizing Portable Applications...

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
abc

Re: Organizing Portable Applications...

#16 Post by abc »

Marc, would you mind sharing what apps you are you using, I barely have 50 apps and would like some good suggestions.

Midas

#17 Post by Midas »

Read this topic and pondered it... :roll:

Current practice has (d)evolved through years of computer use. Bottom line: I archive a clean version of any portable app in a zip file; I then keep every portable I like inside its namesake folder on my hard-drive, in a Progs folder attached to the root of my data partition -- I implement a separation between system drive and data drive in every system I manage -- that always gets a shortcut on my desktop.

In there, populous portable genres (text editors and video apps, for example) are categorized into sub-folders, others share a general Misc sub-folder. As I use some portables as system apps, some (very, very few) get promoted into a Meta sub-folder for ease of access. I use Fast Launcher as my launcher app; some of the portables I use the most get organized in its categories by dragging and dropping. App folders are available to be copied elsewhere (USB drives, other systems) as needed...

That's it, in a nutshell... :)

xor

#18 Post by xor »

I'm 3 years late here, lol, I have a dedicated partition with 2 folders: Apps and Appx (the shorter the better) Apps is for my mmost used apps and Appx is for rarely used apps just in case. I do categorize in folders just for organization sake and I launch them all (Apps) using Popsel which I run in the act vía a gesture so I don't waste extra RAM or tray space, I also launch muy "regularly used Apps" using a keyboard shortcut (Clavier+, looking to replace with something more flexible) and my "always used Apps" are also launched using a global gesture from StrokesPlus. I'll try @trpoli's approach and see if I can mix both. (The faster and easier the better)

btw my categories (folders) use 3 ( or 2 letters) only: IT AUD VID GFX PIC DOC PDF SYS BAK USB FIX VIR DRV DEV PRG INT NET 3D CAD SEC COD LOG TWE WEB DB HW UTI PAF and most recently ..... yaP

tproli

#19 Post by tproli »

I'm still using Executor and no categorisation at all. I switched to Double Commander from Total Commander but apart from that, everything else is the same.

Having no category directories sometimes kicks back, when I need a rarely used application and I forget its name. This could be eliminated by setting up Groups in Executor, but it would be way too easy then :)