Quicken on a stick

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
indyram

Quicken on a stick

#1 Post by indyram »

Does anyone know how to make quicken work from

an USB drive?

Indy

jiggyboo

#2 Post by jiggyboo »

This post has had ~1,400 views, I'm convinced people want this, myself being one of them. I have quicken 2007, but I have little interest of setting it up on my computer.

Its likely a complex program to convert for portability, but it would be well worth it.

In the midterm I am probably just going to save all the database/files to my USB stick, at least that way my financial stuff is 1) always backed up and 2) unaccessible (assuming you encrypt your USB content (hello Truecrypt ;)))

phillip.toone

Re: Quicken on a stick

#3 Post by phillip.toone »

indyram wrote:Does anyone know how to make quicken work from an USB drive?
Yes, use the old DOS version. :D Now if only I could find mine. But what I would really like to do if get my version of Quicken 97 to be portable. I've been using it for quite some time now and have no intentions of upgrading. I'm guessing that this older version might be easier to make portable than a newer version anyway. If someone could point me to some information on how to do this, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

donald

Quicken

#4 Post by donald »

To make any software portable requires a software, or a lot of work and time from someone who is knowledgeable, the exception being when an application is already nearly portable to begin with, this is the majority of the software in the database it is either already portable or requires very little modification after it is copied to a usb drive.

To make this simple for you there is at least one freeware software to launch your software available and endorsed on this site, if it is possible and you don't have a computer that will not accept its changes, that software is Jaunte PE.

There are a few other freeware tools to portabalize a program,(search the forums(try X launcher,)) and you could also create a portable SFX a self extracting archive that will run from a flash drive or a cd, this is a non-stealth method that will write some things to your computer then erase it after finishing.
(here is a video for a portabalizing program http://www.5min.com/Video/How-To-Make-P ... e-91449806)

Additionally you could try Payware environments like Ceedo, Mojopack, Prayaya, and even Xenocode, and (dare I say it here?) Thinstall. These payware environments can be expensive and they do not always work.
These payware apps are usually cheaper in the thumbdrive enviroments such as Ceedo, Mojopack, Prayaya, while the no installation software virtualization enviroments such as Xenocode, and (dare I say it again?) Thinstall. (in the past xenocode has been cheaper and has even been offered near christmas 08 for a bargan)

Before you try the payware software try the freeware portabalizers and launchers, there are a lot more than are mentioned here.

phillip.toone

Re: Quicken

#5 Post by phillip.toone »

donald wrote:that software is Jaunte PE
Thanks Donald, I've been reading up on this to try to understand it all but there is a lot of absorb and often it is difficult for the newbie to know were to start. I'll focus my attention on Jaunte PE and see where it gets me.

I think that I will actually start with the HP48 emulator that I really like called EMU48. It is nearly portable, only insisting upon putting one ini file in the windows system directory. This should give me a straight forward project that I can use to learn how to use Jaunte PE, then I will move on to Quicken 98. Until then, I've found that I can down load quicken for DOS here. Now I just need to see if the files are compatible which they are probably not.

phillip.toone

#6 Post by phillip.toone »

phillip.toone wrote:
indyram wrote:Does anyone know how to make quicken work from an USB drive?
Yes, use the old DOS version. :D Now if only I could find mine. But what I would really like to do if get my version of Quicken 97 to be portable. I've been using it for quite some time now and have no intentions of upgrading. I'm guessing that this older version might be easier to make portable than a newer version anyway. If someone could point me to some information on how to do this, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Disregard my earlier post. I would recommend that you just use GNUCash. It's way better than quicken and it is free (open source).

dnecomp

#7 Post by dnecomp »

This is what I did to make quicken 2006 portable .
1. On a virtual pc running xp pro I had the cameo freware packegaer installed.
2. I installed qucken 2006 with cameyo running and then transferred the package to a folder on my computer. (or USB if you prefer )
3. When you click the packager Cameo will open a prompt for which program of quicken you want to open .
4. Choose quicken 2006 (deluxe or xxxx) As opposed to billminder or what's new .
5. After the inital opening quicken screen:--- you cannot "restore" a backup file, but must "OPEN" the file you want from a installed version of installed quicken folder BUT FIRST
you should copy the installed version of the quiciken file folder on you computer to another location (use your folder with the cameyo package)- to prevent corruption of the files when you use your computer with the installed version and original file .
6. Once the portablized quicken has opened the file,- validate it, and "Save" the file in the folder with the portable cameyo package. ( in other words make a folder with BOTH the portableized Cameyo version and you quicken files
You can then use the Quicken portable and subsequently backup or open files ,validate file etc, - on another partition or usb drive .
7. You can also move the folder to portable apps Platform start menu if you name it correctly . (no spaces in the directory with the folder containing the package .)
Worked for me