Thinstallsoft site

Discuss anything related to portable freeware here.
webfork

Thinstallsoft site

#1 Post by webfork »

Was hoping that ThinstallSoft (dot com) was a possible portable source. The idea of just running a legal copy of Thinstall on other freeware and posting the results somewhere seems perfectly legitimate, except that Thinstall does not allow for redistribution of their sandboxing executables:
You may Run an unlimited number of ThinApps on a licensed Device or concurrent Desktop Virtual Machine. (source)
I think that means if you're running ThinApp under one of VMware's other products, you might qualify but this is otherwise not legal.

Regardless, the site is distributing a Piriform software, which (as was recently discussed) definitely does not allow for unauthorized redistribution. So that's really the end of that site even appearing legitimate.

As a side note, I really didn't think when I started working with freeware that so much time and effort would be spent with licenses and their details.

guinness

Re: Thinstallsoft site

#2 Post by guinness »

Think how difficult it is for a developer :)

joby_toss

#3 Post by joby_toss »

I am using 3 freeware softwares offered for download by Thinstallsoft: Freemake Video Converter, MkvToolnix and Mipony. They are not made portable using VmWare ThinApp, but by using NSIS method from Portableapps.com. (I haven't seen one app there made with ThinApp). I kept the launchers and updated the applications files myself as he doesn't provide packages for every version released.
I don't know about the redistribution rights for these 3 apps, but the end result is the same as if he only provided the launchers and I was making the extraction for the applications files myself.

Maybe he should provide only the launchers with instructions to place applications files in the App subfolder.

m^(2)

#4 Post by m^(2) »

webfork wrote:Was hoping that ThinstallSoft (dot com) was a possible portable source. The idea of just running a legal copy of Thinstall on other freeware and posting the results somewhere seems perfectly legitimate, except that Thinstall does not allow for redistribution of their sandboxing executables:
You may Run an unlimited number of ThinApps on a licensed Device or concurrent Desktop Virtual Machine. (source)
I think that means if you're running ThinApp under one of VMware's other products, you might qualify but this is otherwise not legal.

Regardless, the site is distributing a Piriform software, which (as was recently discussed) definitely does not allow for unauthorized redistribution. So that's really the end of that site even appearing legitimate.

As a side note, I really didn't think when I started working with freeware that so much time and effort would be spent with licenses and their details.
They may have gotten a custom license.

GeddichNixan

#5 Post by GeddichNixan »

I think here is another "David Pi" at work. For those, who don't know David Pi, check this thread for reference:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... =4&t=12359

No substantial information in the "About" section, poor English in some of the software descriptions, a number of packages is named "xxxx.paf.exe" and made with NSIS, one of the sections of the site is named "Lucky software" ("sounds Chinese" to me) etc. I guess there is no licence or permission of the original sofwares' authors. Just another copycat.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

guinness wrote:Think how difficult it is for a developer :)
Absolutely.

Midas

Re: Thinstallsoft portable MiPony

#7 Post by Midas »

joby_toss wrote:I am using 3 freeware softwares offered for download by Thinstallsoft: Freemake Video Converter, MkvToolnix and Mipony. They are not made portable using VmWare ThinApp, but by using NSIS method from Portableapps.com.
  • Old topic update: Didn't check for the other two, but ThinstallSoft.com still offers the latest MiPony (DotNET free file-hosting downloader) PAF style portable -- currently v2.1.3; see http://www.thinstallsoft.com/mipony/. 8)