New category suggestions

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
webfork

New category suggestions

#1 Post by webfork »

Wanted to recommend a few new categories and what programs will go under their heading. This will hopefully help users find programs faster on the site and reduce the categories that have become a little overrun (like Desktop Accessories)

Internet - Video Downloaders
- WebVideoCap
- Youtube Downloader HD
- gPodder
- Vdownloader

Security - Product Key Recovery
- Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder
- XP CD-Key Finder
- RockXp

Productivity - Desktop Notes
- PNotes
- rndNoter
- Stickypaper
- KNot
- NoteZ
- VirtualNote
- QUICK notes

Productivity - Desktop Calendars
- EssentialPIM Free
- Rainlendar Lite - especially since this software doesn't connect to internet calendars in the free version
- Calendar Editor Pro
- TimeSentry
- Xcalday

Internet - Email Tools
- NK2Edit
- Obfusticated Email Link Creator
- POP Peeper
- Email Link Coder

Any additions/subtractions or thoughts are welcome.

Andrew Lee

Re: New category suggestions

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

All done! BTW, I have been thinking of replacing the category system with a tag system.

What do you think?

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote:All done! BTW, I have been thinking of replacing the category system with a tag system.

What do you think?
I think that's a very good idea. Some possible benefits:
  • Some programs simply don't have a category and get thrown into MISC land but with keywords, that would never happen.
  • I suspect search engines would pick up PFW entries more intelligently using a tag-based system, increasing our visitors.
  • Programs that have names such as Docx2RTF whose name implies something simple, but has a long list of features will be easier to find.
  • If you can't remember the name of a hosted program but you know just one of its functions, you'll be able to find it easier.

Firewrath

#4 Post by Firewrath »

well, while im here, i want to note that i like the tags idea,
Not so sure about completely replacing the category system, but might be cause im resistant to change, :P
but being able to file programs under multiple tags would be nice when search for them,

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

Some thoughts on this transition:

More and more web browsers are adding torrents and RSS capabilities by default but they aren't strictly speaking Torrent clients or RSS clients in the sense that they have features one would associate with a software like that. At the same time I thought it was important to add that Pidgin had "IRC" capabilities, partly because we don't have any frequently-updated exclusive IRC-clients here on the site. There's no clear convention.

Notably, Softpedia uses tags exclusively; there is no category system, while nonags.com still uses them so its not as if the internet has completely attached itself to a "tag" system. I must say I prefer Softpedia as Universal Viewer is a "File Management Tool" and XnView is a "graphics viewer". That's not quite right. Fortunately, our system of having multiple categories attached to one file works pretty well.

Our system is fine now, but tags would make this more specific and clear. This introduces another problem: how many tags do we have? Do we have a "docx" tag if it can open docx files? That list will quickly get huge so we have to avoid more than a few of those. On the other side, maybe a "Multi-Viewer" tag for XnView, SMPlayer, and Universal Viewer, which have extremely broad file format support?

Freewaregenius.com uses a system which seems to have a 3 or 4 tag-max for software they review, and one of those tags lists the OS if its only out for one (usually Win7). That might work to encourage us to not get TOO specific.