Wonga phishing emails

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
olliebean

Wonga phishing emails

#1 Post by olliebean »

I have recently been receiving phishing emails trying to get me to login to a fake Wonga website, which have been sent to the email address I used to sign up to this forum. I have never used this email address elsewhere. I don't know what the implications of this are on the security of your website, but I think it is something that warrants being brought to your attention.

Andrew Lee

Re: Wonga phishing emails

#2 Post by Andrew Lee »

Anyone else encountered this? Personally, I haven't received such an email of late.

tproli

#3 Post by tproli »

None yet

joby_toss

#4 Post by joby_toss »

I did receive spam mails from wonga, but I use this mail account on many forums...

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

I have received a lot of these Wonga emails. :( My email address is publicly visible on the Internet, though...
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

I am Baas

#6 Post by I am Baas »

olliebean

#7 Post by olliebean »

Yes, it's just a standard sort of phishing email, what caught my attention was that it was sent to my Portable Freeware email address. Usually these sorts of thing come to addresses I've used publicly, or just random addresses at my domain. I use unique addresses at websites I have accounts with, precisely so that if any of them "leak" my email address I can tell where the leak came from.

I've got "Users can contact me by email" selected on my profile - not sure if that makes my email address accessible to people scraping the site, without actually breaching security?

Midas

#8 Post by Midas »

None here. :mrgreen:

JohnTHaller

#9 Post by JohnTHaller »

The Portable Freeware Collection database was hacked on July 5, 2012 and July 13, 2012. Usernames, emails and password hashes stolen during the hack were posted publicly online on August 23, 2012. As you were a member during that timeframe, your information was made public as well.

More details are included in this topic: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 98&start=0
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

olliebean

#10 Post by olliebean »

Thanks, that explains it then.