New designs for TPFC by tproli

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
tproli

Re: New designs for TPFC by tproli

#211 Post by tproli »

Thanks for the updates!

Moved the permalink to the right.

There's a bug if you are not logged in, and would like to add a comment - the login link under "Post your comment" links to this:

Code: Select all

http://test.portablefreeware.com/%5C%22forums/ucp.php?mode=login&redirect=$redirect_url\%22
I requested not to show the "See all" link if the comment count is below 3. Now I feel that perhaps there should be link to the comments even in these situations. How about adding an "Add comment" link in these cases (to the same place as "See all")?

tproli

#212 Post by tproli »

Detail pages, comments: user names are not linking to the user profile pages if the user is not logged in. Simply removing the link and keeping the user name fixes it.

Could you remove the "textlink" class from "See All ›" links? It looks better colored.

Midas

#213 Post by Midas »

tproli wrote:The Permalink can be placed elsewhere. Personally I doubt it is the most important information but perhaps my browsing habits are different.
Mostly not for anyone actually browsing the site, I meant. But it's the one bit of info that makes any entry findable, somewhat akin to a program ID, easily referable and retrievable...

procyon

#214 Post by procyon »

Really cool design.

Now each time i connect to pfc site, i have a "time of suspense": "Will the new design is officially online ?"

tproli

#215 Post by tproli »

Non-logged-in users can't see the memberpoints - is this by design?

Andrew Lee

#216 Post by Andrew Lee »

@tproli: Non-logged-in users can't see the memberpoints - is this by design?

Yes. Works the same way on the old site. Non-members won't be interested in our internal politics. :D

Andrew Lee

#217 Post by Andrew Lee »

Latest updates:

- There's a bug if you are not logged in, and would like to add a comment
Fixed.

- I requested not to show the "See all" link if the comment count is below 3. Now I feel that perhaps there should be link to the comments even in these situations. How about adding an "Add comment" link in these cases (to the same place as "See all")?
Done.

- Detail pages, comments: user names are not linking to the user profile pages if the user is not logged in. Simply removing the link and keeping the user name fixes it.
If you are not logged in and click on the comment user name, it should bring you to the login screen. Once you login, it will show you the user profile page. That is correct behaviour, isn't it?

- Could you remove the "textlink" class from "See All ›" links? It looks better colored.
Done.

tproli

#218 Post by tproli »

If you are not logged in and click on the comment user name, it should bring you to the login screen. Once you login, it will show you the user profile page. That is correct behaviour, isn't it?
Yes, I guess so.

Thanks for the fixes.

tproli

#219 Post by tproli »

Just added a simple feature to show a "test link" button to the link input fields on the administrative pages:

Works on
  • Website URL
  • Download URLs (both)
  • Forum topic links
It's only javascript so markup is not modified.

If the user is not logged in, there should be a "Please login to..." on entry add or edit pages.
(they can manually access the edit.php page or they could be logged out while clicking on the Add Entry or Edit Entry links)

Andrew Lee

#220 Post by Andrew Lee »

If the user is not logged in, there should be a "Please login to..." on entry add or edit pages.
(they can manually access the edit.php page or they could be logged out while clicking on the Add Entry or Edit Entry links)
This is already in the old site, so it will be there in the new site as well.

I am still working on the add/edit page! Apologies for the slow-than-expected progress...

Andrew Lee

#221 Post by Andrew Lee »

The add and edit functions have been ported!

@tproili: Could you suggest a styling for warning or error messages? For example, if you edit an entry and click "Submit" without modifiying anything, a warning message will appear at the top "None of the fields have been modified!". This appears at various places throughout the site. How can we style that to make it more prominent?

Also, could you suggest how to properly style the "Preview" section? Just edit any entry, make a slight modification and click "Preview". Currently using inline styling, which I am sure you frown upon. :D

tproli

#222 Post by tproli »

Thanks for the changes!

Warning messages:
I can think of a box on top with a title and listing missing fields, e.g.

The following errors occured:
- missing Categories
- missing URL
- etc.

Perhaps it can be done to scroll to items when clicking on them (too fancy?).

Or do you think a lightbox should be better?

Before submitting non-modified entries an error message could pop-up but that would require javascript validation before the server-side validation. This would need too complex check so I would avoid it instead. But it is possible to show a lightbox (?) after the page reloads.

The preview box should start this:

Code: Select all

<div class="preview">
  <h3>Preview</h3>
Others:
- some input fields doesn't have the closing "/" (mainly hidden ones)
- optgroups only have starting tags

guinness

#223 Post by guinness »

Do developers still use inline styles? Tut tut!

Andrew Lee

#224 Post by Andrew Lee »

Latest updates:

- The preview box should start this
Done.

- some input fields doesn't have the closing "/" (mainly hidden ones)
- optgroups only have starting tags

All warnings/errors fixed and validated using W3C validator

Discussions:

- Warning messages
It is currently a generic text message that is triggered in various parts of the system, not just the edit page, so let's keep it simple for the time being. Just need a style to make it more prominent for the user. The current "warning" style seems a little too subdue.

I am OK with a lightbox style, but doesn't that require client-side validation logic? I am trying to avoid that for now.

- Do developers still use inline styles? Tut tut!
That's me. :oops: Have a lot to learn from tproli's design.

tproli

#225 Post by tproli »

How about this?

The extra scroll needs the id to be added to the href of each link, see the updated html.zip (edit.html).

I also removed the red color from the warning messages ('Reminder: before you submit, please...'). There were too much reds there and a simple bold also do imo.

Of course if it is too fancy you can remove the scroll feature (simply don't add links to the list).

Lightbox could also be implemented to show when the page reloads but the above solution seems easier and less fancy :)