New designs for TPFC by tproli

All suggestions about TPFC should be posted here. Discussions about changes to TPFC will also be carried out here.
bærbart

Re: New designs for TPFC by tproli

#61 Post by bærbart »

While changes are being considered

1) Can comments be displayed inline too? Would prefer that to Screenshots, but both would be nice of course.

2) Simple icon for New/Updated (without star/asterisk) makes sense.

3) Loving items per page and new logo !!!

4) Not strictly design, but additional sort criteria would be awesome. A drop-down list to save space?

Sort by
Most recent
Most popular
Uncompressed size?
Unicode?

5) :D Wonderful that this is happening. Really great! Thanks very much!

tproli

#62 Post by tproli »

I guess APNG is not an option now:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APNG#Application_support

Here is a new snapshot:

"Member points" are moved back to the second row (as now) but instead of opening a new window, contents are displayed beneath (like what's new and screenshot). The screenshot section also contains an "open in new window" link.

"Stealth" also has a new "?" icon.

The Category - ... - System Requirements section is a table because this is tabular data. Otherwise I would have to make the first column fixed width, which were a bad idea.

The Search field in the top-right corner only submits search input if it is not empty or not the default value ("Search...").

Now it uses zepto (+ jquery in case of IE), and webfont from Google fonts.

I guess I will build the app details page and hand it over to Andrew. Making it responsive will be the next big challenge but maybe only later.

guinness

#63 Post by guinness »

Nice design, I would say you've 'hit the nail on the head.' By the way my username is spelt wrong. Is that just the mockup's problem or TPFC?

tproli

#64 Post by tproli »

Sorry, only a typo. These are only fake datas, Andrew will blow life into it :)

How about NOT hiding extra details on the app's own page (the one that is reached with the permalink)?

Namely:
- Screenshot link would scroll down to the Screenshot section (screenshot always shown here)
- Comments link would scroll down to the Comments section, etc.

Cons:
- some confusion: on Home page these links reveal a hidden block, on the app's page it scrolls down
- bandwidth: screenshot is always downloaded

Pros are that everything is available for quick scan, and it is easier to scroll down instead of clicking on the links to reveal content.

This way the Home page would show an "essence" of the app and the app's page everything would be available without clicking. Now both are basically the same, only the Comments are missing on the Home page.

Midas

#65 Post by Midas »

Such a pity about APNG, it looked ike the perfect sucessor for GIF if it wasn't for the boneheadedness of both Mozilla and the PNG group:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=131482 wrote:Voting has closed on the APNG proposal. There were 8 YES votes, 10 NO votes, no abstentions, and no ineligble votes cast. The proposal has failed and the APNG chunks are not registered.
To me, this looks like the complete opposite of open (compare with RFC methodology)... :(

webfork

#66 Post by webfork »

tproli wrote:I guess APNG is not an option now
That's really up to Andrew. Its very easy to convert an animated GIF into an APNG and it's possible to setup the website to detect what browser you're using and give different site elements. Because we would also need to have the old GIF files for other browsers, the main reason to do this is not disk savings, but cutting bandwidth usage.

So for example, we could add an optional field to upload APNG files that would only show up if the useragent reports Mozilla/Opera. Animated GIFs frequently compress to 50% of their size under APNG (using PngOptimizer) - example here.
Midas wrote:Such a pity about APNG, it looked ike the perfect sucessor for GIF if it wasn't for the boneheadedness of both Mozilla and the PNG group
Could you give a little background on this? What was this vote bit about?

Midas

#67 Post by Midas »

I followed the link from a footnote of the Wikipedia article cited by tproli, the note about how APNG was rejected as an official PNG extension on April 20, 2007. I find it exasperating to see an issue of such magnitude decided by a total of 18 individuals (however capable they may be) and bonded negatively by a difference of 2 votes (~11% of an already tiny sample). IMHO, that alone should have inclined deciders towards an open outcome...

Andrew Lee

#68 Post by Andrew Lee »

I want to use PNG as well, but I've had to convert PNG / JPG to GIF to abide by TPFC's choice of GIF. Andrew, want to chime in here?
Support for PNG and JPEG can be added quite easily. I will put it on my todo list.

@tproli: I can host your mockup at a test site so that we can try loading it and checking it out "live" on various browsers. Beats just salivating at the screenshots! :D

tproli

#69 Post by tproli »

bærbart wrote:1) Can comments be displayed inline too? Would prefer that to Screenshots, but both would be nice of course.
I guess they could be some problems arise:
- too many comments on some entries, they would occupy too much space
- adding a comment

What I could imagine is to display some latest comments (e.g. 5) on the main page, with a link at the bottom to Show all comments.
bærbart wrote:2) Simple icon for New/Updated (without star/asterisk) makes sense.
Now I removed it, let's see how it goes

guinness

#70 Post by guinness »

Would everyone have access to the test site or those that matter?

tproli

#71 Post by tproli »

Andrew's got a mail... :)

What do you think about visited links, should they be in different color (as now)?

webfork

#72 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:IMHO, that alone should have inclined deciders towards an open outcome...
I can see some reasons to avoid animation as part of the official spec, but you're right it would have been nice to get broader / more open feedback there. I can easily uses for an animation format like APNG that works (for some operations) much faster and cleaner than animated GIFs as well as even the latest video-encoding codecs.

bærbart

#73 Post by bærbart »

tproli wrote:
bærbart wrote:1) Can comments be displayed inline too? Would prefer that to Screenshots, but both would be nice of course.
I guess they could be some problems arise:
- too many comments on some entries, they would occupy too much space
- adding a comment

What I could imagine is to display some latest comments (e.g. 5) on the main page, with a link at the bottom to Show all comments.
Your solution makes sense tproli, as does your previous idea:
How about NOT hiding extra details on the app's own page (the one that is reached with the permalink)?

Namely:
- Screenshot link would scroll down to the Screenshot section (screenshot always shown here)
- Comments link would scroll down to the Comments section, etc.
Thanks for the skilful & generous work that will make a great website even better!

tproli

#74 Post by tproli »

The details page looks like this (in Firefox):

http://rolandtoth.hu/pic/pfc-facelift/pfc-details.png

The Screenshot, What's new, 5 comments links scroll down to the corresponding sections.

As for including the latest comments on the Home page, it is up to Andrew.

Midas

#75 Post by Midas »

Looking good. 8)